WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines So, If We Are in a Deficit - Where's the Money Coming From?

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Everyday, the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and the UK buy bonds to keep this government afloat.

One day, they may decide to stop doing that. Perhaps China would lose interest if say, they didn't get the oil company they were hoping for? Guess what would happen?

This is the first time in US history that a President has paid for wars with foreign money, and I assume the "generous" offer to rebuild New Orleans will be funded by that as well.

Any of this sound like a good idea to you?

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
its not just that... we also keep afloat by devaluing our currency.. but in the end that only causes inflation.

But hey.. we were actually paying off the deficit untill someone thought it would be a good idea to start an 80 billion dollar war with unappropriated funds...

Well, although the rest of us are in a deficit, Mr. Bush is doing fine. And in the end, isn't that all that really matters? Where would we be if our most august leader were to, say, use a billion or so of his hard earned (and inherited) money? Why, were that the case, we might have an easily salvagable, if not thriving economy, and who are we commoners to ask for that?!
Also, let us not even speak of New Orleans. That whole situation is obviously not our Presidents problem. Let's leave his calender free to worry about important things, like whether some obscure third-world country, ten-thousand miles away might possably be thinking about considering weapons of mass destruction! Sorry to trouble you Mr. Bush with our own petty death, I guess we should try harder not to die next time.

Well even though the dollars owed per househould is increasing dramatically in the US, the dollars owed per capita actually isn't increasing THAT fast. So if we can get another economy based administration in, there's still a good chance we'll be able to pay those debts.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DementialWave said:
Well even though the dollars owed per househould is increasing dramatically in the US, the dollars owed per capita actually isn't increasing THAT fast. So if we can get another economy based administration in, there's still a good chance we'll be able to pay those debts.
Ummm, no you are confusing individual debt with National Debt.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
DementialWave said:
Dude per capita means per person, per household is per family, it's the same thing

ThomConspicuous

Inconspicuously Informal
Actually 'per capita' is more of an average per person in a certain area(city, state, national). So it's like one individual, but not really.

Per Capita:
"Per capita income is often used as a measure of the wealth of the population of a nation, particularly in comparison to other nations. It is usually expressed in terms of a commonly-used international currency such as the Euro or United States dollar, and is useful because it is widely known and produces a straightforward statistic for comparison."

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
deficit.. what deficit?

let's appeal to the christian nature in folks and ask them to pay for this fucking mess twice, once with taxes and then again with charitable donations..

Bush plea for cash to rebuild Iraq raises $600

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Mark Townsend in Houston
Sunday September 25, 2005
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1577750,00.html#haha

[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]An extraordinary appeal to Americans from the Bush administration for money to help pay for the reconstruction of Iraq has raised only $600 (£337), The Observer has learnt. Yet since the appeal was launched earlier this month, donations to rebuild New Orleans have attracted hundreds of millions of dollars. The public's reluctance to contribute much more than the cost of two iPods to the administration's attempt to offer citizens 'a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq' has been seized on by critics as evidence of growing ambivalence over that country.

It is understood to be the first time that a US government has made an appeal to taxpayers for foreign aid money. Contributors have no way of knowing who will receive their donations or even where they may go, after officials said details had be kept secret for security reasons.
*cough halliburton cough*
USaid's Heather Layman denied it was disappointed with the meagre sum raised after a fortnight. 'Every little helps,' she said.
[/FONT]

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
void said:
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]An extraordinary appeal to Americans from the Bush administration for money to help pay for the reconstruction of Iraq has raised only $600 (£337), The Observer has learnt. Yet since the appeal was launched earlier this month, donations to rebuild New Orleans have attracted hundreds of millions of dollars. The public's reluctance to contribute much more than the cost of two iPods to the administration's attempt to offer citizens 'a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq' has been seized on by critics as evidence of growing ambivalence over that country.

That's fucking classic! Americans at their finest.

R

RedOctober

Whuhaha...

The same thing as a burglar robbing you, and then ask you if you want to pay for the taxi cab to go home.
Fucking hilarious!!!

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
void said:
deficit.. what deficit?

let's appeal to the christian nature in folks and ask them to pay for this fucking mess twice, once with taxes and then again with charitable donations..

Bush plea for cash to rebuild Iraq raises $600

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Mark Townsend in Houston
Sunday September 25, 2005
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1577750,00.html#haha

[/FONT]

It is understood to be the first time that a US government has made an appeal to taxpayers for foreign aid money. Contributors have no way of knowing who will receive their donations or even where they may go, after officials said details had be kept secret for security reasons.
*cough halliburton cough*
USaid's Heather Layman denied it was disappointed with the meagre sum raised after a fortnight. 'Every little helps,' she said.
[/FONT]
IT'S "PRICELESS"!

JCdecaux

Your Friend in the Fridge
Man Bush has really sent america to the dogs. Whatever happened to the economic boom of the 90's?? What's the statistic now? the richest 1% own 80% of the GDP, or something else ridiculous. while america is in so much debt there's bush and the rest of the fucking politicians (including the democrats) selling out (maybe not Ralph). BTW, how accurate do you reckon http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/ is? im not so sure

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
JCdecaux said:
the richest 1% own 80% of the GDP, or something else ridiculous.
a Time Magazine survey referenced by David Brooks in the New York Times (“The Triumph of Hope Over Self-Interest” – January 12) may help to explain it.
The survey asked people if they are in the top 1 percent of earners. Nineteen percent said they were.
A further 20 percent said they expected to be someday. ‘So right away,’ notes Brooks, ‘you have 39 percent of Americans think they are the top one per cent.

http://www.andrewtobias.com/bkoldcolumns/030128.html

blk990

Serial Killer
Actually, don't blame Bush for anything, he is more or less a puppet controlled by his advisors...

JCdecaux

blk990 said:
Actually, don't blame Bush for anything, he is more or less a puppet controlled by his advisors...
yeah, you can see that i agree, in my posts here: http://www.wtf.com/showthread.php?p=330516#post330516
ha, for once i have evidence to back up my claims, this won't turn in to the firehydrant 'issue'.

void said:
‘you have 39 percent of Americans think they are the top one per cent.
hahahah, i was in the top one percent once.
i don't see how that relates to what i said though.

Last edited by a moderator:

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
blk990 said:
Don't give me that bullshit, if he wanted to change something he could, because according to the constitution, he's in charge of the executive government of the USA. He has control. The problem with him is he's too dumb to control the US, he needs advice, so he lets other people make decisions in his place.

JCdecaux

RageAgainst said:
Don't give me that bullshit, if he wanted to change something he could, because according to the constitution, he's in charge of the executive government of the USA. He has control. The problem with him is he's too dumb to control the US, he needs advice, so he lets other people make decisions in his place.
hey, slow down there buddy, don't think i wouldn't duel his chille eatin texan ass if i could. all i'm sayin is exactly that 'he's too dumb to control the US'. that's why others do it for him. he's still corrupt, BTW, any truth to the rumour he's got an IQ of 69 (9 pt's above mental retardation) ?