Headlines so... what happens?

magnolia

Postaholic
So what happens if the Pope dies? I know he's in pretty bad shape. I heard this morning that he was "having a bad reaction to his medication." So, if he dies, what happens next? Who becomes the next pope?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
earnhardtfan302 said:
They were probably pick a new pope. I just hope that this pope doesn't die to soon.

Yup pretty much. If you think about it, there's been a Pope for a VERY long time. This one aint gonna live forever... they just go out and pick a new one.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
New Pope

Whenever the Cardinal of Rome (the Pope) dies, the Cardinals (the highest rank in the Catholic Church besides Pope) elect the next Pope. The doors the Vatican are sealed off until they are ready to announce the successor. They burn some logs that produce white smoke to signal the decision. They probably decide ahead of time, but that's the prescribed ceremony.

MaxPower

Sweep the leg
Staff
magnolia said:
So what happens if the Pope dies? I know he's in pretty bad shape. I heard this morning that he was "having a bad reaction to his medication." So, if he dies, what happens next? Who becomes the next pope?
Rock, Paper, Scissors

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Woodreaux said:
Whenever the Cardinal of Rome (the Pope) dies, the Cardinals (the highest rank in the Catholic Church besides Pope) elect the next Pope. The doors the Vatican are sealed off until they are ready to announce the successor. They burn some logs that produce white smoke to signal the decision. They probably decide ahead of time, but that's the prescribed ceremony.

Choosing a Pope

When a Pope dies the Catholic Church's most important priests, called Cardinals, all travel to Rome. One of them will be the new leader.

They go to the old Pope's funeral and then after nine days they start to elect a new Pope.

The election

The voting is very secretive and there are lots of odd traditions.

• Each Cardinal gets one vote
  • The new Pope must get over 2/3 of the votes.
  • If after a week the Cardinals still have not picked a new Pope, then thy can choose someone who only has half of the vote.

Smoke signals

The results are sent to people outside the Vatican using smoke signals.

* Black smoke means the Cardinals haven't made up their minds yet.
* White smoke means they have chosen a new Pope.

franklymadeer

Fresh Meat
For someone that's not a full on God Botherer, what role does the pope play? .. In a believers eyes what is the Pope (I know what the pope is but what is the pope... you know like.... if a tree fall is the forrest.....)

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
franklymadeer said:
For someone that's not a full on God Botherer, what role does the pope play? .. In a believers eyes what is the Pope (I know what the pope is but what is the pope... you know like.... if a tree fall is the forrest.....)

The head of the Roman Catholic Church is the head of one the wealthiest organizations in the world. Although the church isn't supposed to be involved in politics (if you believe in seperation of church and state), it is. A series of genoecides called the crusades where initiated by the popes. The blood of the millions of people slaughtered, (including women and children) is mainly on the hands of those popes.
Even for people who aren't into religion, religions still affect our lives. They meddle with our governments, help cause wars, interfere the work of scientists and cause a number of other ills for society. It's sort of like the Mafia or the Yakuza; you don't have to a member to affected by changes in their power structures.
In my opinion, John Paul II has been a good pope. He has advocated peaceful solutions to conflicts and (to my knowledge) hasn't used his influence to interfere with governments. He's been around so long, it's easy to think that Popes have always been this benign. I hope his successor is as laid back as he is, but I'd prefer if he stays around longer.

franklymadeer

Fresh Meat
Its amazing the pull that the man has... Coming from a less religious country (australia) I suppose I just can't comprehend the power the man has over some of the more religious states (europe & middle east)..

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
MaxPower said:
Rock, Paper, Scissors

Damn, I was kind of hoping for an Ultimate Fighting tournament. You know, get all the Pope wanabees in a cage and let them go at it, no holds barred. Last man standing... that's the Pope.

I'd probably even pay for the Pay-Per-View.​

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
franklymadeer said:
Its amazing the pull that the man has... Coming from a less religious country (australia) I suppose I just can't comprehend the power the man has over some of the more religious states (europe & middle east)..
your foolish, just because you may go to a typical public school, or did, proves your incompetance. australia is effected greatly buy the pope and his decisions, though most of them may be chain reactions ( george bush and john howards butseks) they still effect us, of course not as much as ISRAEL where crist was supposedly lived. but yeh

brainwashmonkey said:
Choosing a Pope

When a Pope dies the Catholic Church's most important priests, called Cardinals, all travel to Rome. One of them will be the new leader.

They go to the old Pope's funeral and then after nine days they start to elect a new Pope.

The election

• If after a week the Cardinals still have not picked a new Pope, then thy can choose someone who only has half of the vote.

Smoke signals

Yeah that's pretty much how it went down in Angels & Demons (Prequel to The Da Vinci Code)
Twas a pretty good book

eljefe

Fresh Meat
brainwashmonkey said:
Choosing a Pope

The election

Smoke signals

The college of Cardinals is locked in the Sistine Chapel. The college of Cardinals can elect anyone Pope. However, it is unlikely they will elect anyone outside the college.

If after 8 days they have no elected a Pope, they can take a day to decide what to do next. John Paul II made this change. The Holy Father has given them the option after 8 days of taking the 2 cardinals with the highest vote and only allowing votes for one or the other.

The ballots are burned after being recorded and this produces the black smoke. After 2/3 of the vote is recorded for one person, the ballots are burned with wet straw to produce white smoke. The elected person is then asked if he accepts the posistion, and he answers yes. He is then asked by what name does he wishes to be called. Once he answers, he is Pope.

I believe they are locked in with no food, water or wine until 3 days have passed.

eljefe

Fresh Meat
Woodreaux said:
In my opinion, John Paul II has been a good pope. He has advocated peaceful solutions to conflicts and (to my knowledge) hasn't used his influence to interfere with governments. He's been around so long, it's easy to think that Popes have always been this benign. I hope his successor is as laid back as he is, but I'd prefer if he stays around longer.

I guess it's how you see him. He is often credited with helping end communism in Europe. That to me is interfereing with a goverment.