WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Some blame 'bubble' for poor Bush debating

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
AFP

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Some critics and supporters of US President George W. Bush agree on an intriguing explanation for his poor showing in his first debate with Democratic rival John Kerry: Blame it on the White House "bubble."

The term refers to the protective layers of aides, spokespeople, Secret Service security and supporters that encase the modern US president, keeping reporters, hecklers and threats away from the chief executive.

Even allowing for heightened protection around him in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Bush has taken unusual pains to insulate himself from hard questions from those who disagree with him.

He has held fewer press conferences than any modern president -- including his father, former president George Bush (news - web sites) -- and aides who disagreed publicly with him have generally recanted swiftly and humbly or left the administration.

At least one senior campaign adviser, speaking two days before the first Bush-Kerry debate, seemed to suggest that Bush's considerable debating skills might be rusty from lack of use since taking office in January 2001.

"Presidents tend to listen and make decisions; they don't engage in debates with their opponents or really with anyone else. They listen and make decisions," Karen Hughes told Fox News Channel on September 28.

Many media analysts, including some who scored the first debate as a draw, noted that the camera caught the president frequently looking bored, annoyed, unsettled or distracted during Kerry's attacks on his leadership.

"Bush has been living in a bubble for too long," Richard Reeves, who proclaimed Kerry the winner last week, wrote in the Charleston Gazette.

"What's wrong with him? I would say he has a bad case of Ovalitis - an ear infection endemic to the Oval Office. Sit there long enough, and you don't hear anything you don't want to hear," according to Reeves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH, it's the Bubble, that explains it.

He's a Bubble Boy...

I really don't care wether someone has good speaking skills. I'd rather have a good president who talks like a dousch than someone great with words who is incompetant.

Bush is the puppet of Karl Rove. Good President? He can't do anything or say anything without being told. His reaction after being told about World Trade Center being attached was a perfect example. He sat there waiting for someone else to figure out what to say or do. Rudy Giuliani didn't wait for someone else to tell him what to do or say.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
nope.. he is just the Jr. Senator from Mass... Teddy being the Sr. Senator... maybe you woulda liked me to substitute "Terry Mcullife" (sp) for Kennedy... or maybe Clinton.. since it was after his people came onboard the Kerry campaign that it started gaining in popularity...

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
DanGeo23 said:
nope.. he is just the Jr. Senator from Mass... Teddy being the Sr. Senator... maybe you woulda liked me to substitute "Terry Mcullife" (sp) for Kennedy... or maybe Clinton.. since it was after his people came onboard the Kerry campaign that it started gaining in popularity...
You still haven't supported the statement:

"John Kerry is the puppet of Teddy Kennedy..."

Your mis-direction really doesn't work...

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
pipes990 said:
I really don't care wether someone has good speaking skills. I'd rather have a good president who talks like a dousch than someone great with words who is incompetant.
that explains why you'd vote for bush!!!! :) :) :)

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
VOR... if you didn't notice there my original "puppet" statement was in response to the ... bush rove puppet comment... which was an equally unsubstantiated "fact" yet once again you ignore when someone you agree with makes a mistake and/or says something that cannot be substantiated with fact... and try to shoot down someone that does the same thing... just points it the other way... "typical"
the Kerry campaign often resembles a subsidiary of the Kennedy political empire. Its inner circle is led by Mary Beth Cahill, who was Mr. Kennedy's chief of staff until six months ago. Press secretary Stephanie Cutter performed the same duties for Mr. Kennedy. And Bob Shrum, who has worked closely with Mr. Kennedy since he wrote his famous "the dream shall never die" defense of liberalism at the 1980 Democratic Convention, is the campaign's chief consultant and shapes virtually all of the candidate's messages. now... I know you will say.. "hahhah its from an opinion site..." but the information in the paragraph I have used for the hyperlink is true.. the Kennedy people are all running JKs campaign... or were at least... now I think it is more of Clintons former staffers...

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
voiceofreason said:
AFP

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Some critics and supporters of US President George W. Bush agree on an intriguing explanation for his poor showing in his first debate with Democratic rival John Kerry: Blame it on the White House "bubble."

The term refers to the protective layers of aides, spokespeople, Secret Service security and supporters that encase the modern US president, keeping reporters, hecklers and threats away from the chief executive.

Even allowing for heightened protection around him in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, Bush has taken unusual pains to insulate himself from hard questions from those who disagree with him.

He has held fewer press conferences than any modern president -- including his father, former president George Bush (news - web sites) -- and aides who disagreed publicly with him have generally recanted swiftly and humbly or left the administration.

At least one senior campaign adviser, speaking two days before the first Bush-Kerry debate, seemed to suggest that Bush's considerable debating skills might be rusty from lack of use since taking office in January 2001.

"Presidents tend to listen and make decisions; they don't engage in debates with their opponents or really with anyone else. They listen and make decisions," Karen Hughes told Fox News Channel on September 28.

Many media analysts, including some who scored the first debate as a draw, noted that the camera caught the president frequently looking bored, annoyed, unsettled or distracted during Kerry's attacks on his leadership.

"Bush has been living in a bubble for too long," Richard Reeves, who proclaimed Kerry the winner last week, wrote in the Charleston Gazette.

"What's wrong with him? I would say he has a bad case of Ovalitis - an ear infection endemic to the Oval Office. Sit there long enough, and you don't hear anything you don't want to hear," according to Reeves.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH, it's the Bubble, that explains it.

He's a Bubble Boy...
i liked that movie

Bush is the prefect prez for todays 30 second attention span media. He repeats the one-liner his handler gives him over and over and over. He does not think on his own and does not answer any question he was not programmed to respond to.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
whatever said:
Bush is the prefect prez for todays 30 second attention span media. He repeats the one-liner his handler gives him over and over and over. He does not think on his own and does not answer any question he was not programmed to respond to.
Yes, the new one in this last debate was "naive and dangerous", what a load of crap, coming from someone who is clearly naive and dangerous...

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
did anybody see that shit when kerry called bush out on a lumber company or something, i still have no idea what the hell that was about but i'd like to know which one of them was lying