WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Something's wrong with my dad

He doesn't have a job anymore, so he just lays on the couch all day drinking beer and watching TV (mostly the news). I keep asking him if he'll get a job soon and that a job will make him happier coz it's something to do but he says no one will hire him. He once told me that he's going to die soon. I asked him how and he said he'd die of sadness. I don't know what's bugging him but I doubt I'm any help. I don't think he's really going to commit suicide, I think he's just looking for sympathy. I just wish he'd get his ass of the couch for once. :[

How long has this been going on? You should probably contact some kind of social worker or something to help get him off his ass and get him MO-MO-MOTIVATION!!!

Seriously.

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
fire_starter said:
He doesn't have a job anymore, so he just lays on the couch all day drinking beer and watching TV (mostly the news). I keep asking him if he'll get a job soon and that a job will make him happier coz it's something to do but he says no one will hire him. He once told me that he's going to die soon. I asked him how and he said he'd die of sadness. I don't know what's bugging him but I doubt I'm any help. I don't think he's really going to commit suicide, I think he's just looking for sympathy. I just wish he'd get his ass of the couch for once. :[
It sounds like you dad is depressed, he may need help, do you have any family members you can approach, maybe and uncle, aunt...? If so you may want to speak to them, tell them. They may be able to help. Unfortunately in these situations the only person who can help your dad is...well your dad, wether that be getting employed or geing to see a doctor about this depression, family intervention should be your first approach in this matter and it is more likely your father will speak to them or a friend. Give it a try.

Easty

Click click boom
/me agrees with vic, you oughta talk to some relative about that shit. You'll probably end up helping your old man. Some direct confrontation would help too. Just go up to him one day, turn off the TV, dump the beer in the sink and offer to drive around looking for a job with him.

Could help;) :thumbsup:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
fire_starter said:
Your father is suffering from depression. That happens to guys sometimes, but they are to manly to admit it. Anyways, dont bug him, that will just make him feel more worthless. Instead, remind him how much you love him and that you will be there for him. It will get better.

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
dustinzgirl said:
Your father is suffering from depression. That happens to guys sometimes, but they are to manly to admit it. Anyways, dont bug him, that will just make him feel more worthless. Instead, remind him how much you love him and that you will be there for him. It will get better.
As a guy I will tell you what DG is saying is completely true. If you bug him about it all he'll dwell on is how worthless he feels but if you tell him how much you love him it will brighten him up. That doesn't mean right away though. Sometimes it takes a while but don't give up hope kid:happysad:

Hmm well he doesn't like going to people for help. My mom noticed so she sent him to a therapist but he said that didn't help and he was on medication for it too but he hated the medication. So that's it I guess there's nothing else we can do.

Thanks though. :happysad:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
fire_starter said:
Hmm well he doesn't like going to people for help. My mom noticed so she sent him to a therapist but he said that didn't help and he was on medication for it too but he hated the medication. So that's it I guess there's nothing else we can do.

Thanks though. :happysad:
But there is something you can do. You can be his daughter and not his doctor. Like I said, love him, stand beside him come what may, and it will all work out in the end. But pushing him to seek help or get a job is just going to make it worse. I have already lived this scenerio, kiddo, trust me.

Lucky_420

Banned - What an Asshat!
dads

he could might be in a mid life crisis, hes sick of everything, wants sumtin NEW exciting, wants to be young, so he trying to figure it out. my mom went through it, she stopped going to work, and than a month later she had a vette, she was in teh postion where she didnt have to go to work, but they need something new.