WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Sound and Vol. probs plz help!

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
ok this fuckin sound probs are driving me crazzzzy
first it usually never even produced sound at all, so I took the laptop apart, cleaned it inside out, and it works fine, I did that 4 times now
then once I reinstalled the sound driver and that worked
now I've reinstalled the sound driver again...and the sound works finally but it's really distorted and somewhat low in volume

so I try to turn the volume up and there isn't even a Volume Control on my task bar or in programs or control panel....and when I found it through properties in sound and video, I clicked to set volume control on task bar, or to even adjust sound and error came up saying "'the volume control program cannot be opened because it is not yet installed..please install volume control program using add/remove programs in the control panel'"

this is so messed up I don't know what to do next before I chuck it out the window....it worked completely fine yesterday..and all I did was turn it off to sleep and today I turn the laptop back on and this happens

morelos could probly help me out here, but anything suggestions would help...but i'll keep explosives and stuff in mind for last resort.....i can afford to pay for sumthin new to fix it..but can't afford a new comp

Seije

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Is the sound card listed in Device manager?

Pachyderm

I really did.
Is it a PC or a Mac? Do you have a warranty? Search your trash for recently deleted items. Sorry I suck..but it's probably a PC, get a mac next time.

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
Dell Inspiron 2650 notebook
256ram

i know it sounds like it would suk, but I run games like command & conquer generals, starcraft, diablo 2, gunbound online, and stuff on it so it's not a bad laptop at all, internet's just fine with dialup and we're about to get WOW

but lately the speakers cut out, and now i got it on, it's jus static distortion, and low

Pachyderm

I really did.
Seije said:
Dell Inspiron 2650 notebook
256ram

i know it sounds like it would suk, but I run games like command & conquer generals, starcraft, diablo 2, gunbound online, and stuff on it so it's not a bad laptop at all, internet's just fine with dialup and we're about to get WOW

but lately the speakers cut out, and now i got it on, it's jus static distortion, and low
I'd say check out if you still have a warranty. I am not that much help, I just got a MAC. And I am super pleased with it. I used to be one of those pc users that hated mac, but just because I had never used it. It is so user friendly and I love it. Everything is staight forward. Morelos probably will be helpful, but I odn't know how often he will be coming on since he has so much work. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
open up your device manager...if the sound card is there..remove it completely...if its not there remove any other type of media that might use sound resources...joysticks..etc.....make sure that before you do...that you have the required/compatible drivers...restart and let your computer pick them up...if you did that correctly it should....have the drivers handy as itll ask you for them....setup the drivers and it should work...alot of the times for some reason the drivers corrupt..and you need to install the device as if though you had pulled it out of the machine it is a laptop so its nearly impossible to pull out the sound hardware....windows picks it up as a new device when you remove it from the device manager...try that ...if it doesnt work PM ill be glad to help a bit more.....good luck...

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
mariusthegreat said:
open up your device manager...if the sound card is there..remove it completely...if its not there remove any other type of media that might use sound resources...joysticks..etc.....make sure that before you do...that you have the required/compatible drivers...restart and let your computer pick them up...if you did that correctly it should....have the drivers handy as itll ask you for them....setup the drivers and it should work...alot of the times for some reason the drivers corrupt..and you need to install the device as if though you had pulled it out of the machine it is a laptop so its nearly impossible to pull out the sound hardware....windows picks it up as a new device when you remove it from the device manager...try that ...if it doesnt work PM ill be glad to help a bit more.....good luck...
aight, i tried somethin like that, reinstalling the audio driver (twice) but it didn't work...also yesterday i did manage to reinstall the volume control panel with the xp cd files so that works now....but now my speakers totally quit...if u turn every soundcontrol all the way up you can hear it faintly

it is a laptop though, and I didn't kno the way around maybe installing a new sound card, don kno if it's possible..i kno u can't do it with the video card
what exactly is the "sound card", is it actually hardware, or jus some driver or file installed....cause i could either try replacing it or reinstalling it

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Pachyderm said:
Is it a PC or a Mac? Do you have a warranty? Search your trash for recently deleted items. Sorry I suck..but it's probably a PC, get a mac next time.
The only people that don't think MAC is a joke are mac owners.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I like PC's, but I really want a Mac...they are so sexy...

They look great and they work.

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
it's aight now...well no it's not, it's totally fucked...processor fan stopped working and now it overheats and turns off, oy, jus great

but all it needs is a new motherboard and everything would work again really

but for now, today I'm picking up a complete set of parts to build a computer, my friends letting me use his monitor and keybaord cuase that's all I need
it's gonna be great...can't remember everything I'm getting but it's something like
64 bit athlon xp processor
MXI somthin somthin motherboard
512 DDR pc2700 ram
ATI radeon 9600xt video card
120gb hard drive w/8mb
DVD 16x drive
axio x5 series case

there's probly other stuff, but I already got these logitech z3 speakers w/sub, optical mouse, lexmark 32z printer, 52x32x52x memorex external burner

and we jus got our WOW 4mb broadband yesterday and it's totally great compard to dial-up, lol, it actually doesn't even compare to dial-up...jus really fuckin fasttt

oh, and I quit my job thinkin toyota was going to hire me cause they said I was, and then they decided to not right before I started...fuckin sux
but I'm trying to apply at calltech and presort america right...my only goal is more money, and a regular workin 40 hour a week job with benefits