WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Spanking...

ferengi

Yay fire!
2,089
2
102
#1
This might have been covered before, but after recently having an hour long argument with my mom I thought I'd bring it up again.
When I was a kid, if I did something wrong, I got a spanking. Not a continuous beating, but four or five swats on the butt and a stern "NO!" from my mom. I may not have liked it at the time, but when I look back on it I'm glad my mom took the time and loved me enough to discipline me and make sure I knew the difference between right and wrong. I turned out to be a very great person because of it.
I remember when this wasn't even an issue. I remember when I was a kid and saw another kid acting up in the store, I'd think to myself "ooooh, he's gonna get it when his mom gets him home." But these days, if people so much look at their kids crooked it's considered abuse! WTF??? Shouldn't it be considered abuse to NOT discipline your kids? I mean let's face it, discipline teaches a child that there are boundaries: they can't do whatever they want and get away with it.
It seems to me like a good spanking would be a hell of a lot more of a deturrent to a kid than "oh, if I get in trouble for cussing at the teacher in school, I lose phone priveleges for a month..."
If that's all they have to be afraid of, what's to stop them from doing more severe things and thinking nothing of it? I think this is what leads kids to destructive behavior: Not realizing the severity of the consequences of their actions, and thinking they deserve special treatment even when they DO know they're doing something wrong.
My mom is trying the whole "loss of priveleges" thing with my little brother, and it's not working at all. His grades in school are plummeting, he still throws fits in the store (and he's almost 12 years old), and he's very disrespectful to the adults in the family. I have NO idea why mom all of a sudden switched her parenting methods from spanking with me, to this pansy ass bullshit with my little brother, but it's not working, and if she doesn't get strict with him soon, he's going down a road to nowhere. I hate to see it happening, but you can't tell my mom ANYTHING... she's always right, and everyone else is wrong... *sigh*
Oh well, not my problem I guess. I'm just lucky I grew up when people weren't afraid to discipline their kids and teach them right from wrong effectively.
 

blw72887

Just a poster
84
0
0
#2
Well I agree with you, these days a spanking is considered abuse, which I don't agree with. I believe that kids need to know their right from wrong and when they act up they should be discipline. It's no wonder why we have more and more kids in our society acting up, cussing, getting in trouble with the law, etc.

Though like you said there is boundaries, a couple of swats and a stern no is what should happen, or even be "Acceptable", but abuse on the other hand with repeating hits, cussing and other things is not acceptable. I think people should know and learn the difference between teaching a child that what he or she is doing is wrong and plain out beating the child to death. Our society is moving more and more into the "no" spanking methods; it may work for some kids, but not others.

So I guess when little Johnny acts up in the store, or does something bad we have to say "Now, now Johnny, you can't do that" then have someone tell us "You should do something with that kid" and when you do they may report you to 411 kids.. Just look in the irony in that.
 

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
682
0
0
#4
belt them around a bit i say... i got into alot of trouble as a kid and always copped it... and look at me now! :mad:
 

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
2,347
0
0
#6
ferengi74656 said:
This might have been covered before, but after recently having an hour long argument with my mom I thought I'd bring it up again.
When I was a kid, if I did something wrong, I got a spanking. Not a continuous beating, but four or five swats on the butt and a stern "NO!" from my mom. I may not have liked it at the time, but when I look back on it I'm glad my mom took the time and loved me enough to discipline me and make sure I knew the difference between right and wrong. I turned out to be a very great person because of it.
I remember when this wasn't even an issue. I remember when I was a kid and saw another kid acting up in the store, I'd think to myself "ooooh, he's gonna get it when his mom gets him home." But these days, if people so much look at their kids crooked it's considered abuse! WTF??? Shouldn't it be considered abuse to NOT discipline your kids? I mean let's face it, discipline teaches a child that there are boundaries: they can't do whatever they want and get away with it.
It seems to me like a good spanking would be a hell of a lot more of a deturrent to a kid than "oh, if I get in trouble for cussing at the teacher in school, I lose phone priveleges for a month..."
If that's all they have to be afraid of, what's to stop them from doing more severe things and thinking nothing of it? I think this is what leads kids to destructive behavior: Not realizing the severity of the consequences of their actions, and thinking they deserve special treatment even when they DO know they're doing something wrong.
My mom is trying the whole "loss of priveleges" thing with my little brother, and it's not working at all. His grades in school are plummeting, he still throws fits in the store (and he's almost 12 years old), and he's very disrespectful to the adults in the family. I have NO idea why mom all of a sudden switched her parenting methods from spanking with me, to this pansy ass bullshit with my little brother, but it's not working, and if she doesn't get strict with him soon, he's going down a road to nowhere. I hate to see it happening, but you can't tell my mom ANYTHING... she's always right, and everyone else is wrong... *sigh*
Oh well, not my problem I guess. I'm just lucky I grew up when people weren't afraid to discipline their kids and teach them right from wrong effectively.
My parents did the same with me, but my asshole step father took it too far on a few occasions! Now that I am a father and my son is 7 he's testing the boundaries with shit he picks up at school. This is expected and welcomed I like a good challenge from him! I on the other hand am nothing like my parents. I will not spank my son till he pushes it too far! Now that being said, doesn't mean Im easy on him. I always start with taking the Nintndo then the Gameboy for a brief time. If he's a real ass I take it away for a day or two or three, and he is told that if he askes for it or even throws a hint that he wants it back (during the time restricted from it) he loses it for an additional day! Now the spanking comes in when he steps over the line. About a 6 months ago he got a little tude flare up and decided he would try to hit mom (weak shot at the leg). This is the one and only time that will happen! I got him by the arm he swung with with a firm grip spun him around and without warning laid into him bout four times, then took everything away! Toys, TV, Nintendo, dvd player, disconnected his DTV for a couple of days! Damn right he paid! Now that we have established where he stands things are great! It really made a difference as far as what shit he'll try to pull, and what he knows he'll be disciplined on!

When I was an early teen I remember this one time I disrespected my mom (bad move).
We were in the living room having a disagreement and I was about 4 feet away from her and I mumbled "FUCK YOU". She stepped up and said "excuse me, repeat that again", and me bein the dumfuck teen needed a hard lesson learned said "FUCK........YOU...."!
She came across and smacked the SHIT out of me! Like a lightening bolt of motherly fury! You don't talk to any woman like that, and you DO NOT TALK TO YOUR MOTHER LIKE THAT"!

End of argument I lost.
and that's the way I will raise my boy!
 

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
9,586
1,278
387
#7
TwisT said:
When I was an early teen I remember this one time I disrespected my mom (bad move).
We were in the living room having a disagreement and I was about 4 feet away from her and I mumbled "FUCK YOU". She stepped up and said "excuse me, repeat that again", and me bein the dumfuck teen needed a hard lesson learned said "FUCK........YOU...."!
She came across and smacked the SHIT out of me! Like a lightening bolt of motherly fury! You don't talk to any woman like that, and you DO NOT TALK TO YOUR MOTHER LIKE THAT"!

End of argument I lost.
and that's the way I will raise my boy!
I got mad at mom one morning and told her to "Just Shut up, will ya!" I was in the dining room entrance, mom was in the kitchen, and dad, who was sitting down at the counter separateing the kitchen and dining room eatin breakfast, is in my face before it get "will" out of my mouth. Now he's a pretty gentle fellow, but the look in his eye scared the shit out of me. I just turned when to my room and didn't come out for like a day and a half. I was 16/17 at the time... as a kid though, we would get a whuppin with a belt if we were really bad, or a swat or two with a wire coat hanger... those sting! But I deserved it each and every time, and never repeated it.
 

blw72887

Just a poster
84
0
0
#8
voiceofreason said:
THIS POST BELONGS ELSEWHERE...
Well after all this is "The Issues" forum.. and spanking is an ongoing issue in our society.
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,850
3,349
487
#9
voiceofreason said:
THIS POST BELONGS ELSEWHERE...
If he had worded it as a complaint I would agree with you, but the way he constructed the post, and the way people are discussing it; it seems to be more of a discussion of pro/con corporal punishment.
Therefore “the issues”, is an appropriate venue to host the thread.




Now,'Bout the spanking. When I was a child ,if I did something particularly wrong, I'd get a few swats on the ass. I support, mild corporal punishment, in that sense. A swat on the ass get's the childs attention, and provides a negative feedback that the child wants to avoid in the future.
I still grew up knowing that my parents still loved me; that they were disciplining for a reason.

This is however, a very gray legal area. How does the law, draw a clearly defined line between accepted corporal punishment, and abuse. Would it be based on where the child is struck? How many strikes? How frequently they are disciplined in this manner?
It's a tough one.
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
248
118
#10
I am against corporal punishment. My dad would spank me once or twice (just for the hell of it, when he was drunk), and get bored with it. He'd smack me, punch me, pick me up and drop me, throw things (books, cereal boxes beer bottles, one time a screw driver), just for the hell of it. The problem is not that he spanked me (although it was a problem since I hadn't done anything wrong), it's that he didn't know where to draw the line. Being hospitalized for spilt milk (literally) is bad. If he didn't know where to draw the line, what's to say other parents do? What's to say that your kid will never piss you off so bad you'll beat him mercilessly? People are, above all things, human, and this makes them prone to rashness and doing horrible things to their fellow humans.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes people lose control. I don't want to take that risk, which is why I never want to hit my kids (if I ever have any).
 

ferengi

Yay fire!
2,089
2
102
#11
If you're someone who would lose control with your kids, you shouldn't be a parent in the first place. Discipine should NEVER be administered out of anger or hatred, ALWAYS out of love. Otherwise it is completely ineffective and often abusive.
 

blw72887

Just a poster
84
0
0
#12
ferengi74656 said:
If you're someone who would lose control with your kids, you shouldn't be a parent in the first place. Discipine should NEVER be administered out of anger or hatred, ALWAYS out of love. Otherwise it is completely ineffective and often abusive.
I agree with you, you can't (shouldn't) loose control with your kids, if you feel like hitting something hit a punching bag or something, but not your kids because you fell like it.
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,850
3,349
487
#13
Icarus said:
I am against corporal punishment. My dad would spank me once or twice (just for the hell of it, when he was drunk), and get bored with it. He'd smack me, punch me, pick me up and drop me, throw things (books, cereal boxes beer bottles, one time a screw driver), just for the hell of it. The problem is not that he spanked me (although it was a problem since I hadn't done anything wrong), it's that he didn't know where to draw the line. Being hospitalized for spilt milk (literally) is bad. If he didn't know where to draw the line, what's to say other parents do? What's to say that your kid will never piss you off so bad you'll beat him mercilessly? People are, above all things, human, and this makes them prone to rashness and doing horrible things to their fellow humans.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes people lose control. I don't want to take that risk, which is why I never want to hit my kids (if I ever have any).
The fact that he (first of all went way overboard) did it to redirect the anger he felt against himself for his own shortcomings, not because he felt it would correct some momentary discipliary laps you were having. Using the closed fist, foot, or dangerous instrument, is normally considered abuse.
 

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
4,261
4
0
#14
I too, was reprimanded by spanks. Not all the time, my parents liked to mix it up. A few spanks here, a few "go to your room" there, a few taking away of privelages. I think its the variety that is key. All of one punishment could make you jaded.
 

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
2,347
0
0
#15
tbsrk said:
I too, was reprimanded by spanks. Not all the time, my parents liked to mix it up. A few spanks here, a few "go to your room" there, a few taking away of privelages. I think its the variety that is key. All of one punishment could make you jaded.
I always got a straight up ass kickin! My parents.. They didn't fuck around! My step dad would say that he had a cop buddy that told him how to hit, and I stress the word hit (beat) me so there wouldn't be any bruises... and he took full advantage of every opportunity!
 

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
227
0
0
#16
I was curious about this issue myself so I went to the source to find out more.... long story short there are acceptable level of spanking that is allowed. These guidelines are pretty clear inso far as to what is or isn't acceptable. I would say that you SHOULD know yourself. But, in any event talk to the office of social services. They will hook you up.
 

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
16,850
3,349
487
#17
That's been something that child psychologists have been swinging back to. After the over liberal 80's and 90's (the age of the Time out), they're starting to realize that mild spanking might not be such a bad form of disciplinary correction. For that matter, they've found through that negative development has been just as high in children that get sent to their room, as a form of punishment, as is in children who were spanked.
 

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
4,674
16
0
#18
voiceofreason said:
THIS POST BELONGS ELSEWHERE...
No it doesn't this is an issue in the world which we live in.

GROWLS...

Getting back on topic now. Yes I believe in spanking.