WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Other sportism

dbmott

That's not guacamole!!!
ok, I bought a red sox hat, because yes I support them. but now since i wear it everyone seems to expect i know each players name and the history of everything and every single fucking term in the game of baseball. I like the team for christ sake yay go new england im not going to get off to it. i hate how just because i wear the hat people expect me to watch every game and be up to date on EVERYTHING. wtf! has this ever happened to anyone else?

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
the real reason they do that is because the sox suck.

ok, but for real now, if i was wearing an "American Idol" hat, and you were an american idol fan, I'd expect you to come up to me wanting to talk about sluts-her-name and jerky-mc-boy face or whatever.

point is, by sporting a baseball cap, your claiming to be a fan of said team and that you follow said team. otherwise, youd just be a rapper and doing it for the fashion. Wierdo...

dbmott

That's not guacamole!!!
im just a fan, and i enjoy watching them play i really feel like i dont have to know every damn thing about them.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
well... heres an example. After the NCAA championships 2 years ago, i believe, when the Texas Longhorns were in the final four with TJ Ford, I went and bought a Longhorns hat, a Longhorns shotglass, Longhorns mug, the whole shizzy. I wear that Longhorns hat a lot, and sometimes people come up and ask me how i think Texas is gonna be this year. While I do like the NCAA, its far to hard to follow all of the teams im interested in. And so, I tell them, I like TJ Ford. Then they usually go "ohh... your one of THOSE fans..." Which I dont mind, even if im not one of the THOSE fans, I couldnt really give two shits what anybody thinks, so I go on my own way. When somebody asks you about the Red Sox, just say, "Uh... I like Johnny Damon" or some other unshaven hobo, and they'll just go away.

the redsuck arnt fitting to lick the sweat off my tant, GO YANKEES

Pachyderm

I really did.
My two most favorite teams are the Indians and the Red Sox, two teams that haven't won for a while and probably wont win for a while. I have the oposite problem as you, being a girl and all. I used to go to baseball shops a lot because I was into the hobby and everytime I would go into a new one that was run by men, they would all asume that I knew nothing of the sport and ignorantly sell or buy anything I wanted to have or to unload. The thing is, I probably knew more about the game than any of those creaps and I just loved to tell them what was up with each player and gladly contrdict their opinions with my more well rounded knowlege of baseball.
That was a few years ago and I regret not following anymore. I will next season.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Pachyderm said:
Indians and the Red Sox, two teams that haven't won for a while and probably wont win for a while.
I hope by "winning" you mean a world series championship, because the Red Sox are perrenial contenders, and the Indians lost in 7 games to the Marlins in 1997.

Pachyderm

I really did.
tbsrk said:
I hope by "winning" you mean a world series championship, because the Red Sox are perrenial contenders, and the Indians lost in 7 games to the Marlins in 1997.
Yes that's what I meant by "winning." The Indians are the ultimate chokers and haven't won a series since 1948. When they went to the series in 1995 I thought they had the perfect roster: Serano on first, Baerga on second, Visquel in ss, Thome at third, Belle, Lofton, and Ramirez in outfield and Alomar behind the plate. I still feel if they had kept that roster in 1996 they would have had it made. And then when they went against the Marlins in 1997 I thought there was no possible way they couldn't win this one...against the marlins?!! NO WAY. Boston, a newly acquired favorite of mine seems to be cursed. My love of the game is stunted by these stupid curses filled with frustration enough to make me cry when we lose!!

My favorite player is Kenny Lofton and he went to the YANKEES!! of all teams!! Now I have to root for them. When the cubs lost I cried, and then when the giants lost I cried. Now he's in NY..well, they better win or I'm going to be PISSed.