WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Starting a web page

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Ok so I would like to start a web page. I have never done one before, and have no idea where to begin, except buying the domain. If anyone has any advice that they feel like sharing, I could use the help.

BTW, I am starting this to learn.

Jung

???
Premium
First you should learn HTML, without learning it you will always be limited to the WYSIWYG editors, which incidentally make horrible websites. Once you learn HTML, you should learn CSS for advanced styles. Both can be learned at www.w3schools.com

As you already know, you're going to need a domain name and hosting. www.namecheap.com is probably the best place (imo) to buy your domain name. They allow you to order by proxy for free, so your personal information isn't available to the entire internet.

Hosting is kind of tricky, but I can recommend a few good hosts. I personally use www.dreamhost.com for my shared hosting, but a friend of mine runs www.hytekhosting.com which offers some really cheap plans.

leehype

Thanks guy this will be a great place to start.

If I get to a point where I'm proud of a page, I'll set it as a signiture.

jamesp

In Memory...
Give it a while. It takes no time at all to learn what you need to, but it takes a bit of time to learn how to make it look good.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Get a book on HTML. The websites are cool and stuff but it gets a bit bulky if you're printing shit. A good book and you'll be alright.

Cannot stress how important learning HTML is, even if you're working with web design programs. A tweak here and there is always a good thing and is always necessary, hence the HTML.

There are also great "what not to do on your webpage" sites that will help out a lot. You know like animated gifs and colors that are hard on the eyes. You want to keep the design as simple as possible and the site as easy to navigate as possible. People will love you for that. Also, no need for over crowding.

Just a few things.

Good luck!

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
leehype said:
ok it's online, but it ain't done.
It's www.leehype.com
any sudgestions would be great.
and thanks for the help.:thumbsup:
you need to change the .txt file to a .html file

EDIT: i did it for myself and it looks fine, keep on learning

Jung

???
Premium
BklynCannonball said:
Get a book on HTML. The websites are cool and stuff but it gets a bit bulky if you're printing shit. A good book and you'll be alright.
I disagree. HTML is so simple it'd be a waste to buy a book considering what's freely available online. Printing it out? Why print anything out, you're going to be at a computer when you're making the webpage, why fumble with paper?
leehype said:
ok it's online, but it ain't done.
It's www.leehype.com
any sudgestions would be great.
and thanks for the help.:thumbsup:
A few pointers.
  1. Avoid spaces in your file names. Either use underscores (foo_bar) or just jumble the name together. (FooBar)
  2. Name your file index.htm or index.html. That will tell the web server to show that file first when visiting your domain name, instead of showing the directory listing.
  3. You ended </body> way too early; body should span the entire document, only ending before </html>.
  4. Valid HTML documents require a DocType Declaration.(DTD) Read about them here. I'd reccomend using the Transitional DTD for now.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
            "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

5. Another thing you need for a semantically valid web page is a character set declaration. This isn't anything you need to worry about right now, but it's still required to do it by-the-books. The default for US English is usually utf-8. Using an eidtor like PSPad (link below) will automatically set this up for you.
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  6. Remember to name your file with the .htm or .html extension, .txt isn't a valid hypertext extension.
  7. Get rid of notepad, use something with syntax highlighting like Context. (select HTML from the pull down box on the right and it will highlight the HTML tags.)

PSPad is another good editor.

Here's a cleaned up version of your page.
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    <title>Leehypes Home</title>
  </head>
 <body bgcolor="#d0d0d0">

<b>WELCOME TO MY HOMEPAGE!!</b>

<p>Hello I have been wanting to do this for some time, and now I have made a page for me.</p>
 <br>
<p>This is my jeep.  As I take it off road, I will be putting pic's on this page.</p>
 <br>
<p>So far, my jeep is rather stock. It has the 4.0L engin, 32inch tires, 5 sp trans. the axels are Dana 35's.</p>
 <br>
<p>please bare with me as I learn how to wright web pages.</p>
 <br>

</body>
</html>
By the way, a good way of checking for errors is using the W3C's HTML validator.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
People learn things differently. I don't always have access to the internet so I need hardcopy. That's how I learned to code, I bought a fucking book.

The stuff on the internet is just as good and I use that for quickies but for my first time, I read a book.

So bladdy blah blah blah.

Oh yeah, your home page should be named index.html

leehype

Ok, jung, I downloaded the context program, and reworked the page. I also added pic's to it. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Jung

???
Premium
Change this:
Code:
<body bgcolor="#d0d0d0">
[color=#FF0000]<body>[/color]<b>WELCOME TO MY HOMEPAGE!!</b>
To this:
Code:
<body bgcolor="#d0d0d0">
<h2>WELCOME TO MY HOMEPAGE!!</h2>
You only need one opening <body> tag, and you already opened it with the <body bgcolor... line. There's no need for a second one. You could probably also change the <b> tags into headings: <h1>, h2 or h3.

leehype

I think Html is easy to learn, but hard to master. I finally understud what everyone was saying about naming the file "index" and I placed links to the pics that arn't visibal on the home page.

junglizm said:
First you should learn HTML, without learning it you will always be limited to the WYSIWYG editors, which incidentally make horrible websites. Once you learn HTML, you should learn CSS for advanced styles. Both can be learned at www.w3schools.com

This site is one of the best I've ever heard about. I've skimmed through it, but I still have much to learn. Thanks for all the pointers, and the advice. I kinda like the way the page looks, and I'm gonna keep updating it. Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i'm not trying to be grammer police or be an asshole about this.. but you have typos..

please bear with me as I learn how to write web pages.

also the top passage needs punctuation.

Hello, I have been wanting to do this for some time and now I have made a page of my own. The main reason for this page is I wanted a way to show my family and friends what I am doing with my life.

Here is me at work, don't I look happy? I am a structural and hydraulic mechanic in the US Navy.

potentially interesting site, i will be watching to see how it develops. will you maintain it when you are deployed? good luck. :thumbsup:

leehype

void said:
potentially interesting site, i will be watching to see how it develops. will you maintain it when you are deployed? good luck.
The only reason I could read that was cause I highlighted it, lol. But I will try to keep maintaining it when I'm deployed, and I am VERY well awair that it has issues with spelling, and grammer. I have the contex program on my home computer, but no microsoft word. I have to check my spelling with google, (I think it's a neet little trick, I do it about 2-3 times every post.) I have always had a rough time with wrighting, witch is probly the reason why I asked for help to do this in the first place.

I just glad everyone is being so patient (is that realy how that is spelled?) with me.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
there is also another way to make a webpage.
you can use a program called dr.scheme.

i have been learning it for 1 month in college for my computer science class and its really amazing.Its a bit hard in the beginning but youll get used to it and then its a gem to work with

but i think the html way is far easier to go with:thumbsup:

leehype

Well as I stated earler, I started this to learn, and I got the gist of it. I didn't want to be reliant on a program to do this. I grew up on dos based computers (I'll be damned if I ever remember any of the comands) so I knew it wasn't above me. I am just glad I could get help from people with experince. All I had for the dos shit was "Dos for dumbies" that my mom got me, so I could get the computer running for her.

I kinda miss dos, now that I'm thinking about it.