WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

straight to dvd..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i just read a news item about a movie going straight to dvd because it costs $34M to make the prints and do the advertising for a cinema release..
personally i don't care if i never go to the cinema again.. i still do out of some kind of force of habit but really.. all those cellphones, infants, assholes..

i heard rumor that to comabt piracy movies in china are being released simultaneously on dvd and in theaters.. i say we go a step further, abandon the cinemas and have just dvd releases..
i think it would be healthy for the industry..

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
The cinematic experience is incomparable. Unless you have a "Theater" in your home, there are some films that are a must see at the theater.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BklynCannonball said:
The cinematic experience is incomparable. Unless you have a "Theater" in your home, there are some films that are a must see at the theater.
i used to think that, maybe i got old..

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Some movies are the BEST to see in a the cinema, just because of the pure big-ness of the screen and speakers..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
meh_it_all said:
Some movies are the BEST to see in a the cinema, just because of the pure big-ness of the screen and speakers..
but what would you do if the industry stopped putting movies in theatrs?
if it went dvd only..

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
That is the stupidest fucking idea I've heard in a long time. Do you even know where major theatrical films come from? They come from the big studios. How do they get the funds to make the movies? They rape us of our money. I understand that going to see a movie during it's theatrical run is expensive. But do you know how much movies cost to make these days? More millions (amd sometimes billions) than we like to imagine. Sure, the studios are greedy sons of bitches, but they're the ones giving the money to the writers, actors, directors, etc. They are the ones ho do the physical act of making the move. Without them, nothing. Without the studio, hit-or-miss indie flick. I'd rather pay ten bucks to see a great movie than five to rent a shitty one. :thumbsup:

JCdecaux

Your Friend in the Fridge
screw_ball said:
That is the stupidest fucking idea I've heard in a long time. Do you even know where major theatrical films come from? They come from the big studios. How do they get the funds to make the movies? They rape us of our money. I understand that going to see a movie during it's theatrical run is expensive. But do you know how much movies cost to make these days? More millions (amd sometimes billions) than we like to imagine. Sure, the studios are greedy sons of bitches, but they're the ones giving the money to the writers, actors, directors, etc. They are the ones ho do the physical act of making the move. Without them, nothing. Without the studio, hit-or-miss indie flick. I'd rather pay ten bucks to see a great movie than five to rent a shitty one. :thumbsup:
that was basically right, (billions of dollars i think not), see the thing is there's a 40% failure rate in hollywood, basically that means, if a film is stupid and crappy and you could just pay 2.00 to see it by buying a pirate copy, popular concensus is that that is the way to go. i'm a bigscreen man myself, nothing compares. trust me (as an ameature director) making a movie costs time (lots) money (imagine paying to develop a roll of 24 shots for every second in an hour and a half) and creative endurance.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Good point JC.

Most of the time companies lose money 'cause the films FLOP in theaters.

The issue isn't whether to have a film go straight to dvd, it's how to get Hollywood to stop making crappy films. There are plenty of talented directors underground that would absolutely shine given a Hollywood budget. The Jacket is a great example of that.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BklynCannonball said:
Good point JC.

Most of the time companies lose money 'cause the films FLOP in theaters.

The issue isn't whether to have a film go straight to dvd, it's how to get Hollywood to stop making crappy films. There are plenty of talented directors underground that would absolutely shine given a Hollywood budget. The Jacket is a great example of that.
true.. except LCD audiences demand LCD movies, and then don't go and pay to see them because they're too high on meth or something..

the notion purported by hollywood that a straight to dvd world isn't far off is based on piracy more than asses on seats.. they are proposing simultaneous release, theater and dvd initially..

i think they presently make more money on dvd anyway..

and as for sitting in a theater, well people used to sit in horse drawn carriages.. ;)

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Fellowship of the Rungs cost 93 million to do, JCdecaux. Close enough to a billion for me. Also,

*amateur

:thumbsup:

Easty

Click click boom
personally i dont care if a movie shows up on the big screen. like the new family guy movie that came out yesterday, if it rocks, i dont give a shit!

JCdecaux

yeah, well it seems we all have different opinions, BTW im pretty sure 1000 X 1 million is 1 billion, or sometimes 1 million times 1 million is 1 billion, depending on where you live. eitherway 93 million is chicken scratch, but then again maybe thats wrong and im just stupid.
ANYWAY ill always go to the theatre, nothing like hearing that music in the end of the good the bad and the ugly and seeing clint walk off (i think that's how it ends) on the big screen.

Jung

???
Premium
i'm a bigscreen man myself, nothing compares.
A DVD or HD movie viewed in the comfort of my house, with surround sound and a big screen 16:9 LCD TV is a much better experience than the theater, in my opinion. I won't compare the big screen to downloading some crappy rip though, that would be silly. But if you have half a brain you know where to download DVDs and HD movies. ;)
trust me (as an ameature director) making a movie costs time (lots) money (imagine paying to develop a roll of 24 shots for every second in an hour and a half) and creative endurance.
Well that's nothing profound, but what's your point?

JCdecaux

junglizm said:
Well that's nothing profound, but what's your point?
My point is that a movie is not something that should be taken lightly meaning:
i reckon its wrong to go pay your local asian grocer (stereotype, sorry) $2.00 to get something that took so much effort to make.
i think it's stupid that directors that know full well how much it takes to make a movie keep turning out crapy crappy crap crap films.
i get what you mean though, that was a little outa context

Jung

???
Premium
JCdecaux said:
My point is that a movie is not something that should be taken lightly meaning:
Well, when directors and movie studios quit making shitty movies, maybe people would respect that. I hate paying $10+ (per person, and I have a family) to go see a movie in a less than sanitary theater only to have it be a huge steaming pile or shit. I'd much rather just wait until the DVD comes out, and Blockbuster has bought the movie for me, then just spend $5 for the privilege of watching such garbage in the comfort of my own home. At least then I can have a few beers during the movie.
i reckon its wrong to go pay your local asian grocer (stereotype, sorry) $2.00 to get something that took so much effort to make.
Are you trying to imply piracy here, or just renting movies? If the former, you sound like you're doing more than just making a stereotype.

JCdecaux

i was implying piracy, more than a stereotype? WTF! that's what it was, a dodgy asian guy selling pirate DVDs. i know it was wrong, that's why included the brackets .
what were you implying with your
"you sound like you're doing more than just making a stereotype." ?

Jung

???
Premium
It just sounds a bit racist to me. But then again, that's what usually spawns racial stereotypes. Anyway, it's probably best you don't make remarks like that here, because people can interpret them in all kinds of ways.

Now back on topic...

JCdecaux

look let's not get off topic. i've stated my point, what i said was not particularly politically correct, didn't mean to offend anyone. but the majority of pirate DVDs are from southeast asia.