WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

StreamRipper - The Free, Legal Alternative to p1r4t3d MP3's

Descent

Hella Constipated
Legal? Free? True? Yes.

It records Internet radio stations MP3 files onto your hard drive, and catalogs them for you. Great little tool, I've been using it for ages.

Personally, I use the pay version, StationRipper. I like the UI more.

http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/sr32/

You can get 500MB woth of music in an hour, if you rip enough stuff.

Jung

???
Premium
Cool, but who wants to listen to 64, 96, or 128KB rips? :(

Descent

Hella Constipated
Cool, but who wants a legal way to sample new bands?

By the way, there are NUMEROUS 256KB stations.

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
fuck legal, the only people who should be worried are those living in the USA, even so you'd use p2p programs such as soulseek, or go underground and download full albums on irc,

you need to download full albums with eMule, sometimes very high quality concert bootlegs recorded with a tiny clip-on microphone on some guys shirt

Descent

Hella Constipated
Dookie said:
sometimes very high quality concert bootlegs recorded with a tiny clip-on microphone on some guys shirt
OH GOD! That's funny.

Well, I just got 3.5 GB of music LEGALLY over an 8-hour period, w00t!

Oh, and I only download from stations that have a bitrate of 128K or higher.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I have a rip of Mutter by Rammstein, and I've been playing it for a good half hour straight now.

It's a "cocaine track."

Jung

???
Premium
dookie said:
you need to download full albums with eMule, sometimes very high quality concert bootlegs recorded with a tiny clip-on microphone on some guys shirt
lol

Tell me your not one of those people who still thinks 128KB is "high" or "CD" quality.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
i dont mind listening to 128KB music as long as it isn't metal/rock with alot of distortion...that's about the only time I notice a difference.

Other times I prefer high quality music:
- Vocal trance w/ synth
- Drum n' Bass
- Dance Trance

Other than that, I really can't hear a difference at a reasonable volume. If a file is compressed correctly, you usually don't hear imperfections until you crank up the volume and you can hear the lack of audio quality for the combined instrument tracks.

Jung

???
Premium
I can definitely hear the difference between 128, 192 and higher encodings. I rip all of my CDs with either LAME VBR, using their --alt-presets (--alt-preset standard/extreme), or MPC -quality7. I can definitely hear the difference in those encodings, even on PC speakers, or at low volumes.

For electronic music, I almost always use MPC (Musepack) for encoding. I find that LAME --ape is good enough for everything else though. For my iPod, I encode to mp3, wih LAME --aps.

tzedek

Original Member
128 was great back in the dialup days. But now whats the point? and is that really legal?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yes, it is. It is comparable to taping a song off of FM radio.

In fact, it is in line with all U.S. copyright laws.

100% legal.