studying abroad

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
here's the deal, i will most likely be studying abroad for one semester and i have many choices of destinations but am not sure which to choose. so i really would like to know if anyone has ever lived or traveled to EAST/SOUTHEAST ASIA and get your opinion on your experience or how much you'd think i'd like it if you'd please.

countires include...
-JAPAN
-KOREA
-HONG KONG
-CHINA
-THAILAND
-TAWAIN
-SINGAPORE
-MALAYSIA
-LAOS

your input would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your help!

Jung

???
Premium
gurlgonewild said:
[/thread]

Seriously, I think Japan is probably the best place out of the ones you listed. Trust me, you won't be very impressed with Korea.

I've actually been thinking about doing the JET programme for a year, so I can visit Japan.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
junglizm said:
Trust me, you won't be very impressed with Korea.

you don't say, why? (about korea) why are you interested in the JET programme, like what would you do? do you speak japanese?

here's what i found about it http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/

The Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Programme is operated by local authorities in cooperation with the Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications; the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology; and the Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). The JET Programme was started with the purpose of increasing mutual understanding between the people of Japan and the people of other nations. It aims to promote internationalisation in Japan's local communities by helping to improve foreign language education and developing international exchange at the community level.

i would say Japan too, however i hear the accomodations are tiny, tiny, itty, bitty and could be claustrophobic. i was keen on Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, China, or Sinagapore. (only due to a lack of knowledge of what the other countries i listed had to offer.)

Jung

???
Premium
gurlgonewild said:
you don't say, why? (about korea)
I've been there; it has it's good points, but most of it isn't really somewhere I'd want to live and study.
gurlgonewild said:
why are you interested in the JET programme, like what would you do? do you speak japanese?
I've always wanted to visit; I tried to get stationed there many times, but to no avail. I'd much rather live there for a year, and teach English/do IT work than visit for a few weeks. It's something I've been interested in since I got my degree. (which is the only requirement) That said, I don't know that it's something I'll ever be able to do.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
wow ggw thats awesome! But i have to confess, i do prefer if you studied in Rome, italy or Oxford England, because that's where I'll be studyin this summer!! WOOT FOR OVERSEAS PROGRAMS!!!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I'm visiting London, Paris, and Rome this summer (albeit only for a few days each) for my art class. Abroadness, here I come!

But anyways...

Go for Japan. I've heard nothing but good things, plus I saw The Grudge. :thumbsup:

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Japan for me as well...even if conditions there are preety "stiff", i bet they are way better than in the rest of the places. You never watched Discovery T&A shows about living in for ex. Taiwan ?

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
tbsrk said:
wow ggw thats awesome! But i have to confess, i do prefer if you studied in Rome, italy or Oxford England, because that's where I'll be studyin this summer!! WOOT FOR OVERSEAS PROGRAMS!!!

XOXOXO aw tb! XOXO
awesome!
tb & icarus might bump into eachother?!?

unfortunately, this summer is too soon for me. (i have to apply, yadda, yadda, yadda....) i've chosen asia over europe for two reasons: 1. since i've never been there i think it may be prudent b/c i don't know if i'll ever have an opportunity/reason to go 2. i am applying for a grant that only provides funding for studying abroad in asia.

Bibas

That's Illogical.
Discovery Travel and Adventure, where you can learn a lot of stuff about different countries. And tbh, Asia really looks like a grim, post-communisstic land...which it actually is...at least in some part.

ferengi

Yay fire!
Go to China.
It'd be funny to go there, stand in the middle of a busy intersection, and scream anti-government propoganda, just to see what they'd do.

...Yeah, I'm fucked up like that.

10 stars

Enraged before the storm
Japan, its tightly packed, everywheres close enough to walk to, its a calming yet quick paced envoirnment.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
ferengi74656 said:
Go to China.
It'd be funny to go there, stand in the middle of a busy intersection, and scream anti-government propoganda, just to see what they'd do.

...Yeah, I'm fucked up like that.

*chuckle* you are NOT giving "good" advice! i'd be in jail for 1000 years. 2ff

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
How do you get to do that?...I'm a philosophy major and was looking around and they only offered like "Foreign Language" study...I really want to go to England or Ireland but it was only "British Lit" or "Irish Culture"...did you just bullshit it or are you actually going to major in "Asian Culture" or whatever.

Jung

???
Premium
I guess it depends on the school and program. When I was in school we went to Salzburg, Austria. It had nothing to do with my major; we studied math, English and history. (very little of which actually related to Austria)

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
junglizm said:
I guess it depends on the school and program. When I was in school we went to Salzburg, Austria. It had nothing to do with my major; we studied math, English and history. (very little of which actually related to Austria)

I'm studying mostly American literature in Rome and Oxford, I'm simply going for the culture and to expand my knowledge of other countries. Hang with the locals... sight see... I truly cant wait.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
So you can just take it for whatever?....NICE...I get 75% of my tuition paid and they transfer scholarship money to study abroad programs...Thanks you've all inspired me to get serious about this shit.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Given the choices of those countries, I'd have to go with Japan. Japan is where DragonBallZ cames from, and girls their have pink hair (some of them)!! And you eat sharks at restaurants. They have all kind kickass gadgets and technology. Some of the most bad ass swords come from Japan and you can get sweet ass fullbody yakuza tatoo's.
They're most industrialized nation in the world, it has to kick ass. When my career gets out of the shitter, my 3rd vacation will probably be to Japan. :thumbsup: