WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Stupid computer

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Well it's time for me to upgrade my computer again, but i need help. So far i have in stalled 2 512 ddr ram sticks, a 256 video card. The prossessor is something like athion 2000+ or something, and no sound card. My computer is really pissing me off as its having problems running games for a long time. I just got vampires bloodlines, and its laging on the lowest settings. I want to upgrade the prossesor but im not sure if i should do that or invest in a sound card. Any help or suggestions would be nice.

jamesp

In Memory...
well, i guess that Id upgrade the processor first, but try ang figure out why your games are lagging before purchasing new hardware that may have the same trouble. check out the following thread:

Computer restarts....

You may have the same kind of problem.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, first off, a "256 video card" is irrelevant because there are fucking XGI Volari V3 cards with that, as well as *POSSIBLY* a few unreleased Voodoo5 6000 cards which had a quad-chip setup.

Second off, replace that power supply. Odds are it's absolute crap, and causing your video card to "lag" due to a lack of proper juice. I just had to deal with this because the power company's transformer on my block blew again. My backup PSU was kinda crappy, and my new one came today but I can't install it because it's 24-pin connector hits into the COM1 header on my motherboard. So I need a 20-pin extension cable.

Good brands: ThermalTake, Sparkle, Fortron, Antec, Enermax, MGE, Seasonic.

Third off, what brand of motherboard ya got? If it's ECS or PCChips, or any other off-brand, swap it with one of these brands:

-ASUS
-Chaintech
-MSI
-Gigabyte
-FIC

I own a Chaintech 7NIL1 and it is superb.

Fourth off, clean your video card's power connector if applictable. My 9700 Pro stopped recieving power because it was open box and had a dirty power connector. A little cleaning fixed that.

leehype

If im going to replace the mother board im getting one of those duel prossesor ones. The video card is an s3 grafix card, cant remember the number on it, but i,ve been told by a nerd that its suppost to be like 3rd best on the market. I'll look in to the power supply. I'm not sure what to make of the problem. I can put the video settings all the way up and it will run just the same as if i turn them all the way down. I get hit with lag when i fire a gun sometimes, or if theres a lot of AI on the screen. Before i got the video card, when i was playing planet side my fps would hover around 15. If i was close to an enimy, it could drop to 1.5. I installed the card and the min i get is 35 now. I just want the damn thing to work right now so i can save for the duel mother board caust im going to go all out with it.

Jung

???
Premium
leehype said:
If im going to replace the mother board im getting one of those duel prossesor ones.
Don't bother with dual processor, get dual core. Athlon 64 X2 to be exact.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

The 3800 is the entry level dual core, you can get faster ones if you want though. What is your budget?
The video card is an s3 grafix card, cant remember the number on it, but i,ve been told by a nerd that its suppost to be like 3rd best on the market.
7800GTX?
I'll look in to the power supply.
Buy a name brand power supply, and ask for help here if you don't know what to buy. A bad power supply can ruin everything plugged into it - which is obviously your entire computer. (not the monitor of course. :p )

leehype

Jung

???
Premium
1st, don't buy PC parts from Amazon. Go to NewEgg or ZipZoomFly; you'll save a good amount of money.

Dual processor is NOT the same as dual core; dual cores are two CPUs on one die. Click here for an explanation.

Also, those Athlon MP processors are 32 bit, and antiquated by today's standards. You should be looking at Socket 939 Athlon 64 processors - like the one I linked above. Buying 32 bit right now will only restrict you from upgrading in the future, don't do it. ;)

Motherboards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136152
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530

leehype

So what i need to do here is build a new computer. Ok. I checked newegg for those motherboards, and Im just wondering how long before i'll need to upgrade them again? I want to build a killer machine the right way and do have the funds for it, and thanks for yall's help here.

Jung

???
Premium
If you go with an Athlon 64 you will be good for at least two or three years, which is pretty good these days. You'll get even more lineage if you choose dual core.

Yeah, it'd really be better to just build a new PC rather than upgrading right now. Especially if budget is no concern.

I own a dual core system myself, and they are amazingly fast. :thumbsup:

leehype

junglizm said:
If you go with an Athlon 64 you will be good for at least two or three years, which is pretty good these days. You'll get even more lineage if you choose dual core.

Yeah, it'd really be better to just build a new PC rather than upgrading right now. Especially if budget is no concern.

I own a dual core system myself, and they are amazingly fast. :thumbsup:

like i said anysuggestions to parts would be great, and is my video card good or should i scrap it?

Jung

???
Premium

leehype

im gessing that my video card is cool for now, and thanks for the advice junglizm, im going to buy the parts next time i get paid. Damn those prossessors are expensive :happysad: well I'll report my progress here as i get to building it. thanks again :D

Jung

???
Premium
No problem.

Btw, if you're going to go dual core, and money really is no object, I'd opt for the X2 4400 with the 1MB of L2 cache. I own one and it's awesome. :thumbsup: The 4600 is only slightly faster, but costs $800 so it's not really worth it in my opinion.

Yeah, the 7800GTX will be good for a long time, and it's the best card on the market, so you can't even get anything better right now.

leehype

junglizm said:
No problem.

Btw, if you're going to go dual core, and money really is no object, I'd opt for the X2 4400 with the 1MB of L2 cache. I own one and it's awesome. :thumbsup: The 4600 is only slightly faster, but costs $800 so it's not really worth it in my opinion.

Yeah, the 7800GTX will be good for a long time, and it's the best card on the market, so you can't even get anything better right now.

umm that link aint working for me
nevrmind thanks it working now

Jung

???
Premium
I fixed... must've been while you were quoting, because it works in your quote. :p