WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Stupid mistake

So I had this program that would randomize my Windows boot/login screens and I removed it and wanted to put things back the way they were. So I rename the boot.inibackup to boot.ini, since that seemed like logical thing to do and then Windows wouldn't boot. So I use the windows repair module, for the first time, and it sucks horribly. All I can do is use the "type [path]" command to view the boot.ini but I can't edit it. So I decide fuck it, I'll install Windows overtop and that should fix it..now it wants my freakin cd-key and I lost it. Time to switch to linux if for nothing else than the shitty repair console of Windows XP.
Anyone on here have any recommendations about which build of Linux to go with. I used to have a copy of Suse and it was aiight and I presently have an old ass version of Redhat..

jamesp

In Memory...
well it depends on what you want. jung recently told me about Debian, and it is pretty sweet. Though it is a bit more difficult to instal, if you like user friendliness, then id go with mandrake or a newer version of redhat, possibly Fedora Core 4.

You can download any Linux distros from http://www.linuxiso.org

Jung

???
Premium
sideshow_bob said:
So I had this program that would randomize my Windows boot/login screens and I removed it and wanted to put things back the way they were. So I rename the boot.inibackup to boot.ini, since that seemed like logical thing to do and then Windows wouldn't boot. So I use the windows repair module, for the first time, and it sucks horribly. All I can do is use the "type [path]" command to view the boot.ini but I can't edit it.
For future reference, recovery console gives you full access to the command prompt. You could've just renamed the file back after logging in.

Also, you can use a Linux live CD to mount your drives and edit files that way. Granted you need to install and use the Captive driver to write to NTFS, but it works.
Anyone on here have any recommendations about which build of Linux to go with. I used to have a copy of Suse and it was aiight and I presently have an old ass version of Redhat..
If you're a beginner, go with either Ubuntu (Gnome) or Kubuntu (KDE). They should both be easy enoungh for a newbie and they're based on Debian. I recently upgraded from Debian unstable to Ubuntu, and so far I like it.

If you're not a newbie, then I'd suggest pretty much anything Debian based, although admittedly Debian, even unstable, is a bit dated now. BSD is a good alternative as well.

Other than that, check out www.distrowatch.org. Personally I'd stay away from Red Hat, Suse and other RPM based distros.

Thanks for the info on linux. I know I can rename the file from the repair console but all I needed to do was edit and for some reason their isn't an edit command, which baffles me. You'd think the ability to edit the key text files of Windows would be included in a repair console..