WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Sue happy America!

CVN70

That's CPT. Forge to you!
Have you guys noticed how bad sueing is getting in America, not sure about other countries, but sueing in America is starting to get humorous over what people are sueing about.
For instance,

A woman sueing McDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself.
Person sueing fast food because they got fat eating their food.

I wanna know what you guys think about what's happening with this. Quite frankly I think cases should be "screened" before they're even presented in court.

Talk about stating the obvious. Most of these people are money hungry opportunists, taking advantage because they know they can make a quick buck. That, and they don't have to take responsibility for their actions. It doesn't get much better than that, does it? :rolleyes:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
CVN70 said:
Quite frankly I think cases should be "screened" before they're even presented in court.
they are.. by the lawyers who stand to gain 95% of the settlement or award..
have you been involved in a vehicle collision? did about 20 lawfirms contact you out of the blue saying they could make you rich if you hire them to represent you (in a case that you weren't otherwise considering pursuing)?

it's not the people, it's the lawyers.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
so im bad for sueing a medical company for costing me a month of employment over a minor problem?

Sektor

Particinator
No, that's a legitimate reason. This is America, though. Every time something happens, it's someone else's fault. We are NEVER at fault.

...even when it's our own incompetence that causes injury.

</sarcasm>

CVN70

That's CPT. Forge to you!
By these lawyers claiming they can make you rich, do you mean Ambulance Chasers? The guys with their ugly mug posted on billboards? Good point void

crazy

lol reminds me of a case i heard about ages ago...about a woman who got injured by some kid running around in a supermarket and got millions of dollars...and it turned out that kid was hers.

Base

it's a motherfucker
When I lived in South Africa, it you hurt yourself, eg. spilling coffee or tripping on the pavement. It was your own damn fault, you weren't looking where you were going, what you were doing.

Now that I live in the UK, I see on TV see people doing something even when they know it's dangerous and they don't have they right equipment, they fall, hurt themselves and get £12000 compensation.

The worst one I have come across. A few years ago, this guy was knocked down by a car and died while on the way to hospital. A few months later, his parent receive a letter telling them that they are being sued by the driver of the car for causing mental trauma and loss of income (he was a taxi driver). How disgusting is that. In the end the taxi driver walks away with £500+-.

Obviously I believe that if you lose your arm or something major, then compentation should be delt out. Other than that, the whole thing makes me sick.:sickpuke:

I remember seeing a thing about a person who sued a cigar company because their cigar got burnt down in a flame :rolleyes:

Didn't know the outcome of the case though, but I do remember it was one of the first outreagous lawsuits I had ever heard about.

coffeebeans

A Coffee Bean
I think I heard something about that...

Guys cigars got burned in a fire. So he sued and won because of his insurance policy covered him on personal damages in fires, floods, ect, ect.

What a crybaby.

OylE

Man. Nature. Technology.
frivolous lawsuit

You wanna hear of a ridiculous lawsuit? some fucking christian organization is tryiing to sue Wal-Mart because they're saying "happy holidays" and trying to say fucking christmas is not a religious holiday. Now I don't really care about Wal-mart, but I'd rather hear "happy holidays" then "merry fuicking christmas". You know what I mean. I hate fucking christmas, but this pisses me off more. And here it is Nov. 13, and I already heard a real fucking christmas commercial on TV, with fucking christmas music and everything. Agh, it's already started. Tiome to crawl into my hole away from the world for the next few months..

Awww, you're christian? I offended you? Too fucking bad. I don't give a shit.

:mad: :thumbsdn: :mfinger:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
yes but if they said merry christmas then they would be sued by the other religions and athiests...

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
St.Anger said:
I remember seeing a thing about a person who sued a cigar company because their cigar got burnt down in a flame :rolleyes:

Didn't know the outcome of the case though, but I do remember it was one of the first outreagous lawsuits I had ever heard about.
The guy got fire insurance on his cigars, then tried to claim they were lost in a series of small fires. He ended up suing the insurance company because they wouldn't pay out, and they lost. After that, they turned around and got him arrested for intentionally setting those fires.