WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Suggesting a motherboard...

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I was chilling in my room and someone knocked on my door. It was a guy who said he needed help installing a video card in his computer. I said I would help him and he brought it over. I opened up the case, and there was no AGP slot:confused: The damn thing ain't more than 6 months old. I told him that I can't get it to work, but I will check to see if there is hope. I also told him about the motherboard that jung suggested for me in my building a computer thread.

I don't know if there is an adapter he can get, hence my thread, and would like to know if I gave him good advice.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
If it is a new motherboard, then he likely has PCI-Express. If he does, then he needs to get a PCI-Express video card. AGP is dead.

leehype

I don't think it has the PCI-Express because there are 4 slots, and there all the same. It has a modem in the lower slot, and it looks like there is a place on the board where a AGP or PCI-Express slot was supost to go, but it wasn't soddered on. I wish I could post a pic.

bockscar

failamanjaro
Sounds like PCI to me. They do make PCI video cards, but they are nothing spectacular and seem to be pricey for some reason; probably because their market is fading. This card might be worth looking into for him though: Click.

Hope this helps.

leehype

Bad Kharma said:
Sounds like PCI to me. They do make PCI video cards, but they are nothing spectacular and seem to be pricey for some reason; probably because their market is fading. This card might be worth looking into for him though: Click.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll tell him, but I think he would be better of with a new mother board, as he allready has a great video card, and it would be better for him to upgrade in the future.

bockscar

failamanjaro
Understandable. See if he can get a motherboard with the same CPU socket as his previous board. That way he would not have to purchase a new processor in addition to the motherboard.