WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Suggestion regarding dead threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
I found a couple posts about rezzing old threads (like this one here), but I couldn't find anyone that suggested that posting on dead threads be disabled.

I was wondering if there was any way to program the site/threads so that they close by themselves after 2 months? (or whatever duration of time the admins deem appropriate.)

I think it would save everyone a lot of trouble/bullshit if this was put into action.

Jung

???
Premium
This was brought up recently by Zoso in this thread.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
Ahhh thanks.

Sorry, devious title made me skip that one when I searched.

Havok why do you have to do that? Pahaha, my dumb ass clicked that twice.
;)

Jung

???
Premium
bombchu said:
Ahhh thanks.

Sorry, devious title made me skip that one when I searched.
Don't take any of the opinions in that thread as a final answer. I've yet to hear an admin's say on this, so there is still a chance of it being done. Although I'd assume its feasibility (read: availability of a mod or simplicity of writing our own) would weight more on this than anything.
HavokChylde said:
This was brought up recently in this post
When I clicked that my hate for you grew. :fuckoff:

:)

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
Yeah that's what I thought would get in the way.
Good idea, but too lazy to implement.

I guess it's not too bad.
Gives everyone a chance to properly welcome noobs to wtf.com with a hardcore neg-repping. :thumbsup: ;)

Jung

???
Premium
bombchu said:
Yeah that's what I thought would get in the way.
Good idea, but too lazy to implement.
Actually it'd probably be pretty simple to code, I just don't know who would want to do it. :p AND it would add a significant amount of queries to the database.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
Scratches head* haha
I certainly wouldn't be able to. :smash:

breakology

Kiss my Converse
IF are threads are closed automaticly, then we can't flame dumb fuck n00bs for posting in them ... where's the fun in that? :thumbsdn:
Sure, they can get a mod that automaticlly closes old threads, OR you could just look at the date at the top left corner of EVERY post. :clap:

Yeah, nOObs need flaming. My first week here was hell, but I sure learned allot! :) I'm sadly... still learning... :happysad:

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
The overhead involving added queries and CPU time wouldn't really be worth it to me. :)

Besides, it would take away one other way to kick out the freeeeeeaks! Please don't make that happen!

..No.. No really.. Don't.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Or....you can just set up your preferences to show only new threads. Am I correct in that? That's what I do. At least I think.

Wait, where am I? Who am I? What am I doing here?

Jung

???
Premium
BklynCannonball said:
Or....you can just set up your preferences to show only new threads. Am I correct in that? That's what I do. At least I think.
I think the forum is set to default to "from the beginning," so less knowledgeable users see the threads anyway, plus they find them through searching. I think an announcement instructing users to pay attention to post times, and only revive old threads if they have something significant and meaningful to add would be a much better idea. Then again, that takes the fun out of kicking newbs around. :D

breakology

Kiss my Converse
BklynCannonball said:
don't you know about the Latest Posts button?

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
been there, done that, wont do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.