WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Suggestions for a new video card

Jung

???
Premium
Ok, so my current video card decided to start showing me nice fractals at random, and I don't want to dick with getting it RMA'd. Video cards are one of the things I rarely bother to keep up with; I usually just read the reviews when it's time to upgrade. Well, I've been reading reviews and fanboy opinions so much that I'm starting to wish I could just go with out one, but that's another story.

So, what I'm looking for is opinions/suggestions on what I should buy. As it stands, I'm currently looking at either a 6800GT or the X800X? equivalent. I'm not so much worried about cost as I am just quality, so keep that in mind. One other note; I'm kind of partial to Nvidia, as they've supplied my last five or six GPUs without problem, but I am open to an ATI. From what I'm reading, it looks like both companies have finally gotten to a level where they're pretty much equal in most ways... So if you have any valid input, I'd appreciate it.

I what you mean by not keeping up with video cards. I havent upgraded my computer since i bought it almost 2 years ago, and my geforce 4 mx440 has served me more than well. But i know little to do with the new cards that are out, besides having fancy names. Wheres Descent when you need him

Jung

???
Premium
I've been completely happy with my 5950 Ultra, at least until it decided to start crapping out on me. :(

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, Junglizm, the first question is: Are you willing to upgrade to PCI-E?

I would HIGHLY recommend it, just because with a Chaintech or MSI offering, you could spend the same amount for a new board and an X800XL, as you would for an X800XT or a 6800 GT.

If you are, then the X800XL is right for you; that is, if you don't use a Linux distro that comes with X.org. Also, ATi's Linux OpenGL support is not as quick as nV's, but it's not too bad anymore.

The advantages with the X800 line is that they use very little power (Less than your current card! Only ~60 watts), and that they generate very little heat. On the other hand, the 6800GT runs so hot (~110 WATTS!) that the stock cooling often needs to be replaced - and yes, I know of many users with that issue. Finding a new cooler is tricky too - you have only two options. The Arctic Cooling, or the Zalman. The Zalman will actually keep the bastard very cool.

On the other hand, if you want to shell out ~250-300 for an SLi board and buy one 6800 GT series card, by all means, go for it! That way, with a Christmas bonus or something, you could go "balls-out" and get an SLi setup.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Well, Junglizm, the first question is: Are you willing to upgrade to PCI-E?
Currently there is NO benefit of running a PCI-E video card, nor will there be in the near future, so no. This system is still running on a A7N8X-D mobo with a 2600+. I do plan on upgrading to a 939 in the future, but I just want a video card right now.

Also, this isn't my Linux box, so that's not an issue.

jamesp

In Memory...
check out the Fire GL, its insane, its for image/video editors though.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Jung... does it really matter? Both are great cards with good GPU's lot's of support blah blah blah.

My guess is it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Which one has the prettiest box?

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
Sapphire ATI x800 PRO 256MB, best card i have ever owned and would recommend it for anyone looking into a new card, i put alot of stress on this card and its worked flawlessly for a lil over 4 months. plus looking on pricewatch etc. you can find a pretty low price. I would highly recommend this card to you Mr. Junglism.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hypertron said:
Sapphire ATI x800 PRO 256MB, best card i have ever owned and would recommend it for anyone looking into a new card, i put alot of stress on this card and its worked flawlessly for a lil over 4 months. plus looking on pricewatch etc. you can find a pretty low price. I would highly recommend this card to you Mr. Junglism.
Dude, Sapphire is GREAT now, but my 9700 Pro I bought from them is SHIT! Whee, bad RAM ahoy! Generic too, it's EtronTech, not Samsung. 5% slower than a comparable ATi/PowerColor card because of the RAM faggotry. It's 2.8ns, but 5% slower than a 3.3ns Samsung chip.

Also, non-reference power-hungry PCB design = internetz win. This thing hates every PSU I've used with it besides the MGE. One Aspire, one Bestec, and one Compaq.

Those things had good rails, too...

I have to constantly worry about it taking a shit on me, which isn't fun. It's probobly the shittiest part of my whole system. Everything else is high quality besides that cock-licking PCB.

The X800XT may be a good bet for you then. Personally, I'm not a fan of nVidia's end-of-life support. If I spend $400 on a card, it damn well better work with the latest drivers in two years.

The GeForce 4 Ti series have a fan shutdown issue now that can fry the card...Nice going, nV! That card series is still widespread as fuck, and is one of the highest selling series, but nowhere near the Geforce 4 MX in terms of sales.

GeForce 3 and GeForce 2 support is also crap. TNT2 support runs like the Rage Pro ran off it's launch drivers - I know this from personal experience. The 41.09 drivers are the only ones that work good with the TNT line, which is oddly the last driver build that worked with the leaked Doom 3 Alpha. Don't ask...

Not trying to sound fan-boyish here, but I would make the switch if their EOL support didn't scare the shit out of me, because I have a habit of reusing old cards constantly...

But, if I could afford SLI, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat. But since I'll never buy it, I'm sticking ATi.

And then AGAIN, nVidia cards work with the Win32 OpenGL port of Descent, which is called D1X. If I can only get the status bar, and not the cockpit, I ain't playing it. It kills the immersion.

Also, I've had better luck with nV cards when it comes to free games, mainly DOS ports like JoNoF's Duke3D Win32 port, and D1X. A couple others worked better too, but I forgot their names.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
You're just pissed because every piece of hardware you buy dies within 6 months b/c you either don't know how to use it, or b/c you just don't shop around and by shitty parts. Thankyou now fuck off.

jamesp

In Memory...
Hypertron said:
You're just pissed because every piece of hardware you buy dies within 6 months b/c you either don't know how to use it, or b/c you just don't shop around and by shitty parts. Thankyou now fuck off.
LMFAO! pwned, and repped! i think its the former though, he might just stager a run for his money, but he doesn't usually scream about his '1337' computer skills.

bockscar

failamanjaro
I am running a PNY 6600GT w/128MB DDR3 with a 128-bit bus. Since money is not an object, I would expect you to go with the 6800 GT (Asus makes a killer one), but dont rule out the 6600GT. It's about $150 cheaper and from a performance standpoint is not that far behind the 6800. I have run some pretty demanding games on it. It runs DOOM 3 on maximum settings with a slight lag if it gets too hot, but seriously not too shabby at all. I ran HL2 without any problems whatsoever, on maximum settings. FarCry: maximum settings, no problem.

I did a great deal of pondering when it came to choosing my card and the 6600GT made sense to me. Since you are not on a budget like I was, I would say go for the 6800GT, but consider its little brother too!

I have had 2 ATIs: 9800 PRO 256/256 and a 9800 XT and I had problems out of both. I would stick to nVidia.

Jung

???
Premium
Good to know, I've been hearing good things about the 6600. It's coming highly recommended on the other forum I posted this on. I wasn't impressed with the 9800XT either, imo my 5950 Ultra out performed it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hypertron said:
It's really hard to find refurb 9700's...

Jung

???
Premium
I think I've decided on the XFX 6800 GT for dual DVI out. Every review I've read seems to say that this card is great. I also found a 6600 GT from XFX with dual DVI out, but I'm leaning more towards the 6800. Any comments?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
I think I've decided on the XFX 6800 GT for dual DVI out. Every review I've read seems to say that this card is great. I also found a 6600 GT from XFX with dual DVI out, but I'm leaning more towards the 6800. Any comments?
Excellent choice! If you don't need dual DVI, I would suggest the X800 line. Funny though, I once saw a Connect3D 9600 series card with Dual DVI on Newegg. They have to put that on the X800's.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
junglizm said:

Descent said:
Excellent choice! If you don't need dual DVI, I would suggest the X800 line. Funny though, I once saw a Connect3D 9600 series card with Dual DVI on Newegg. They have to put that on the X800's.
You, my friend, are on a roll. :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
My Dell monitor supports dual link DVI, so I intend on using it. I plan on buying a second 2005FPW (maybe a 2001FP) when I do my upgrade and rebuild here in a few months, so I'll still be using dual DVI ports. Sorry, but the X800 didn't offer what I wanted...

Please read the thread before you reply...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Can't go wrong with the XFX 6800GT dual-dvi card...

There's some X800 cards made with dual-dvi but they're harder to find.