WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Suicide Mistaken for Halloween Decoration

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
FREDERICA, Del. - The apparent suicide of a woman found hanging from a tree went unreported for hours because passers-by thought the body was a Halloween decoration, authorities said.

The 42-year-old woman used rope to hang herself across the street from some homes on a moderately busy road late Tuesday or early Wednesday, state police said.
The body, suspended about 15 feet above the ground, could be easily seen from passing vehicles.
State police spokesman Cpl. Jeff Oldham and neighbors said people noticed the body at breakfast time Wednesday but dismissed it as a holiday prank. Authorities were called to the scene more than three hours later.
"They thought it was a Halloween decoration," Fay Glanden, wife of Mayor William Glanden, told The (Wilmington) News Journal.
"It looked like something somebody would have rigged up," she said.

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------​

Talk about a macabra sense of humor...

Dokan

Random Wanderer
Wow that is just sick. They could have at least went to it to make sure it was not real.

would street walkers not have caught the foul smell of a... dead hanging body?

maybe the smell was part of the prank too :)

That's happened before where I live too. That's scary. I't totally have a shit fit if I saw a "decoration" hanging from a tree, only to realize later that it was a real person! Yikes.

Slacker

Postaholic
Wow, Something similar has happened here but someone was hanging by Christmas lights as a joke. It looked like he fell off a ladder and got caught and hanged. But people took it seriously and called the cops. He didn't get in trouble but got warned. It was really funny. :thumbsup:

--one of my brother's friends did the same thing, only it wasn't a suicide, and it was decoration. his friend had a haunted house in his garage for halloween, so he put on a harnass and hung from the ceiling where a hammock usually was placed. a big kid was trick-or-treating and thought he'd be a real badass and "diss" the decorations. this jackass punched the crap out of what he thought was decor, and kyle (the hanging kid) said "BOO!" and kinda twitched his body a little bit, scaring the badass so much that he tripped and fell on his face, going home with no candy and a broken nose.

i don't like those hanging things at all. i've almost driven off the road a few times when i see them in the corner of my eye.
sad about the woman, i also feel bad for the people who saw it and didn't report it, the guilt they must feel. really can't blame them for thinking that, could have happened to anyone. sucky situation.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
slemaire195 said:

a body wouldnt smell for like a day, so I doubt they would smell it after a few hours

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
sick...ppl are sick... thats just...horrible

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. People have always been fucking stupid.

saleen201

Banned - What an Asshat!
Wow this is just crazy... it makes you think...

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
I couldnt help but laugh when I read that.

slemaire195 said:

It takes about 3-4 days for an odour to be apparant, even then it's only a faint sweet smell...candy+halloween?

Honestly though, on halloween you'd expect to see this kind of stuff. Most people would just dismiss it at an alaborate decoration as they did in this instance..I probably would at first until I checked it from a closer distance.

A shame all the same.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
You piss yourself when you're hanged. You let go of all bodily functions. This woman had piss stains, possibly shit stains, her veins were popping out and she was turning blue. You mean to tell me the smell of shit and piss wouldn't have stopped them in their tracks? Or the eyes and veins bulging out of her head?

This is definetely one of the most awesome news stories ever.

'Tis the season!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BklynCannonball said:
You piss yourself when you're hanged. You let go of all bodily functions. This woman had piss stains, possibly shit stains, her veins were popping out and she was turning blue. You mean to tell me the smell of shit and piss wouldn't have stopped them in their tracks? Or the eyes and veins bulging out of her head?
Asside from the odor of shit and piss the rest could easily be written off as a decoration. And outside the stink of piss and shit would fade rather quickly.

I mean we're talking about people accross the street or driving by in cars. I doubt anyone seriously looked twice.

sounheardof

shady shyt pisses me off
hmm

who the heck hangs themself outside? eww no one wants to see your nasty bodily functions dripping from your body, DO IT INDOORS.

grr :)

Boycott

Soul Doubt
it said the NEIGHBORS saw her though... Don't the neighbors know what she looks like?

Boycott said:
it said the NEIGHBORS saw her though... Don't the neighbors know what she looks like?
She might have worked night shift and been asleep all day so none of her neighbors saw her a lot.

Or she was a cunt and nobody liked her so they let her body hang there a while, we may never know.