WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Surgeon General's warning on Mc.Donalds products

Should there be a Surgeon General's warning on Mc.Donalds products?

• Total voters

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
do you think there should be a surgeon generals warning on mcdonalds products?

Also has anyone seen the movie "super size me"?
I saw the movie 3 months ago, and i havent gone to a Mc.Donald's since.(or any fastfood chain, except subway and potbelly's :))

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
No. I think the warnings on Cigarettes are stupid too. In fact, I think every warning sign that's posted is stupid. Rarely is there a warning sign that actually NEEDS to be posted. This is all in my own opinion and subject to much criticism I'm sure. But almost anyone should know that deep fat fried anything covered in salt cannot be good for you. Nor can eating 3 pounds of food in one meal. Putting signs on things that take common sense to figure out is just assinine.

skullmaster said:
do you think there should be a surgeon generals warning on mcdonalds products?
No. They have nutritional facts available upon request.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
Agreed, but lets not take that movie too seriously. Too much of anything will kill you. I think Mcdonalds is bad for you, but does it mean you shouldn't have it? Yeah if you eat it everyday you will die. Fine too much sunshine will kill you too. Laugh to hard, you might have an aneurysm. Workout too much your heart will explore. As far as warning labels are concered I agree with the munky. If you don't already know its bad for you, you need to learn somehow. Also as bad for you as it is, it's a food product and unlike alcohol and cigarettes your body needs it to survive. Of course there are better alternatives, but what are we going to do? On every peice of fatty food place a warning. That's why they are required to give you the nutrition facts.

no, not a surgeon general's warning... just the nutritional facts. don't make me call 1-800-mcdonalds or talk to a manager to get a pamphlet with every single food on it just to find out the number of calories i am consuming. it should be like everything else.. the wrapper, box, or whatever container the food is in, should have the nutritional facts table. they won't though.. the calories are outrageous. 490 cals for a mcrib. 350 cals for medium fries. 210 cals for a medium coke. holy shit..1,050 cals for one meal? that's enough for one day. i would've never bought a mcrib if that number was printed on the wrapper. the bastards can't make the facts easily accessible because too many people would stop going there.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
slemaire195 said:
holy shit..1,050 cals for one meal? that's enough for one day.
Actually thats not even half of your day's requreiments unless your a sedentary migit. Here's a link if you don't believe me. Anyway if your active and workout its more like 2500 to 3000 a day depending on how active you are. But for most people in america 2000 is about right and it varies from there on your weight.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/bl_nutrition_label_5.htm

I agree that most warnings are usually made in vain and ignored regardless of the seriousness, and Mcdonalds does hand out nutritional information upon request (which displays that there are 1700 calories in a super size shake). . .so that's not the biggest problem when people Mcdonalds themselves to death. My problem is that it's just simply hard to eat healthy. You go anywhere in this country you're going to find unhealthy food, however it's always the cheapest and most convenient choice. . .and to add to that the healthy choices (for example Subway) are always steaper in prices and the lines are longer. Now I don't mind waiting a bit longer but i simply don't have the money to spend ten dollars on a lunch everyday or to spend four dollars on a healthy choice entree compaired to the 97 cent frozen pizza. Either way something needs to change before well to do citizens start clutching their chests while waiting in line for another Big Mac.

- thajman

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
If they had to put the nutritional information on the wrapper, they'd just make a Big Mac 4 servings, and 'cut' the Calories in 1/4. Look at most 'single serving' sized packages, they still contain more than one serving of whatever you're buying. It's a crock of crap.

Jung

???
Premium
No, we don't need warnings on everything. We place warnings on the most asinine things too, it's like we're encouraging stupidity. Everyone knows fast food is unhealthy, if you choose to eat it and can't do so in moderation then I don't see how it's anyone's problem but your own. Personally I think if you lack the self respect and will power to eat healthily, then you deserve to be a disgusting fatass.

thajman said:
Either way something needs to change before well to do citizens start clutching their chests while waiting in line for another Big Mac
Damn right something needs to change. People need to stop being so lazy, and start thinking for themselves.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
The fact that the warnings are nearly as retarded as the reasons for putting them there in the first place always made me laugh.

The old standby classics:

Warning on box containing strand of Christmas lights: 'Warning: For indoor or outdoor use only.'

Warning on clothes iron: 'Warning: Do not iron clothes on body.'

Warning on T.V. dinner: 'Warning: Contents may be hot after heating.'

And those are just a couple that I've seen with my own two eyes.

Seriously, why do people get rewarded for stupidity? And what's more, how does a simple sign educate someone that would do it in the first place?

I mean who in their right mind would try to steam iron clothes while they wear them?

I think every McDonalds restaurant should have a giant shark tank built into the floor to eat anyone who would be stupid enough to go in there.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
zoloftcasserole said:
No. They have nutritional facts available upon request.
actually, very few of them have them visible.Some even didnt have them at all.
A survey was conducted to see how many gave the information in leaflets, on posters in the restraunt etc etc.Very few of them had it in leaflets, even fewer on charts, and the rest had to brink a huge laminated chart from the managers room.
This was all stated in the movie, and can also be found on the internet.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
Hater808 said:
Agreed, but lets not take that movie too seriously. Too much of anything will kill you. I think Mcdonalds is bad for you, but does it mean you shouldn't have it? Yeah if you eat it everyday you will die. Fine too much sunshine will kill you too. Laugh to hard, you might have an aneurysm. Workout too much your heart will explore. As far as warning labels are concered I agree with the munky. If you don't already know its bad for you, you need to learn somehow. Also as bad for you as it is, it's a food product and unlike alcohol and cigarettes your body needs it to survive. Of course there are better alternatives, but what are we going to do? On every peice of fatty food place a warning. That's why they are required to give you the nutrition facts.
Actually most people dont seem to know that this food is bad for them.
In the same survey, most people think that eating at mc.donalds on a regular basis will not harm their health. One way to argue is that its not your fault that their sucj douchebags, but on the other hand, they are screwing up their health...helping hands are always welcome. Just because they are stupid doesnt mean that we just let them be. They should be informed of what goes in that fucking nasty food.The LEAST Mc.Donalds could do is put up a huge poster of the calories etc next to where the people order. Mc.donalds however, would rather not do that because it would affect their sales and they obviously care only about money, not the quality of the food and the health of the consumers.

EDIT: SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
McDonald's to put nutritional information on food wrappers

By Beth Aaron/Senior Staff Writer
November 01, 2005

McDonald's restaurant has decided to display nutritional information for the majority of their food products on the food wrappers beginning next year, according to CBS News.

link

similar stories

mcdonalds nutritional information here.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
void said:
McDonald's to put nutritional information on food wrappers

By Beth Aaron/Senior Staff Writer
November 01, 2005

McDonald's restaurant has decided to display nutritional information for the majority of their food products on the food wrappers beginning next year, according to CBS News.
notice the words "FROM NEXT YEAR"

dont tell me the retards didnt know of this earlier.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
skullmaster said:
Actually most people dont seem to know that this food is bad for them.
In the same survey, most people think that eating at mc.donalds on a regular basis will not harm their health. Just because they are stupid doesnt mean that we just let them be. They should be informed of what goes in that fucking nasty food.The LEAST Mc.Donalds could do is put up a huge poster of the calories etc next to where the people order.
If their that stupid then how would putting up calorie counts even help. If they can't figure out it's bad for you they going to have no idea what 480 calorie's mean. Lets get some consistancey here, if they choose to learn they will learn it's bad for them making them and society better.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
it doesn't seem fit to make a whole new thread for this and it is about as relevant as it gets, kind of..
this is one hell of a cool fucking typo from yahoo news..

Pennsylvania company recalls 94,400 lbs of beef
Tue Nov 1, 6:20 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Quaker Maid Meats Inc. on Tuesday said it would voluntarily recall 94,400 pounds of frozen ground beef panties that may be contaminated with E coli.

now read it again, that's right.. beef panties. :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051101/ts_nm/food_beef_recall_dc

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
ppl are idiots, and i agree with brion...warning signs are just generally incredibly stupid... heres some more

hair dryer:do not operate while sleeping (damn thats the only time i have for my hair)

Digorno Pizza:Do not eat frozen

guy won a Liebeck award b/c he thought he could sleep in his winnebago with the cruise control on (surprisingly) he crashed, sued winnebago for 2 mill and won, causing winnebago to actually put in the manual for their motor home that you couldnt do this.

superman costume:does not enable you to fly.

are ppl really this stupid?

a hazard label on mcdonalds products is ridiculous.

well a lawsuit got mcdondalds to put "caution: HOT" on their coffee...But McDondalds food is just so tasteless...