WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Survivor Newbie: Proving Grounds?

Survivor Newbie

• Yes, torture them, beat them, make them beg.

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • No, I don't want to make anyone cry.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
So, should we have a newbie proving grounds before they are allowed full member priviledges? And, by member priviledges, I mean things like rep, arcade, posting, ect...not sucking on Max's toe jam.

This would effect new members only, not current posters. It will start special permissions for newbies.

We are working on the rules and parameters, but would like input to procede.

This was Nymph and CL's idea.

Mine was to just ban them all....lol

i think they need to hit a certain amount of rep before they can join, and understand how the site works. others feel it should be judge and jurry action. if so i deserve say sinse i was a founder. hehehehehe

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
Post suggestions on this.

Maybe we could start them out with -500 rep or something. Let them dig out, before they are released unto HELL!!!

Any suggestions are welcomed.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
OK

Here is part of the deal with this:

Welcome Wagon will become "Newbie Wagon" where survivor will play out.

The newbs will have post access to that and to "Cock Farm"

So that if tenured members get cocked, newbs can make fun of them.

yes and max can't WW them all either.
they have to "prove" themselves in some way and get rep for it before they can make it out of the island or the farm. the older members can suck it up by suffering with the noobs in the farm and the island till released. older members can be jurry and exicutioner(SP).

CopyLifted

I can't speak for DG or Nymph, but I think this is coming from the incredible surge of n00bs that are joining. Not to mention the one posts wonders.

Lets weed out the idiots from the start, chop them off at the ankles. Well, wait. If that were the case and I were mod...I'd ban them all after one post. But lets get some kind of n00b rules here. :p

Ok, STFU. I'm an idiot too, but that is besides the the point. :happysad:

R

RedOctober

O well you pompous assholes..
You should be glad there are noobies to make fun of.
Most of them leave this mudhole anyway within a day or so. :cool:

CopyLifted

RedOctober said:
O well you pompous assholes..
You should be glad there are noobies to make fun of.
Most of them leave this mudhole anyway within a day or so. :cool:
You stayed. Sort of. :happysad:

Be lucky that these rules (still looking for suggestions here) wern't in place when you joined. :p

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Nymphchick said:
i think they need to hit a certain amount of rep before they can join, and understand how the site works. others feel it should be judge and jurry action. if so i deserve say sinse i was a founder. hehehehehe
i agree with you 100%, it should be decided by the mods though, there should be a place where only noobs and mods can post, allowing the best of us to get a good jist of them, and only releasing them into our grounds when they see fit.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
As much as I like this idea I'd have to say no to it. Or at least purpose a much different beast.

With a site like this people come and go. Hell, we haven't seen some of our great posters in a while right? BadassMtnBiker, Libernation et all?

So as they go it's important that our ranks are bolstered with fresh meat. Limiting new users to one or two forums won't weed out the good from the bad. I'm going to use JLXC as an example. When he joined if he'd been stuck in a room full of fucking dolts it would have been hard for him to stand out in the crowd long enough to get noticed as a good poster. That or he would have gotten bored with the whole thing and left. Locking folks up and having arbitrary rules in place designed to hold them back is elitist. Besides, making fun of n00bs is half the battle.

What might work better would be setting up rules that affect ALL users. For example you have to have x rep to post in B&T and Y rep to play in the arcade.

But making rules that only apply to one group of users (new users in this case) will eventually lead to this place getting really boring really fast.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Here's something to think about

I'll just copy paste out of lazyness

[10:16] <MrCool> so what do you think about the noob screening shit?
[10:16] <MaxPower> sounds kind of fun, but dunno
[10:17] <MrCool> i've seen plenty of message boards doing it, just think, you mods decide who enters and who stays out, if you dont like them, they sit in the screening rooms until you feel fit, or until they're banninated
[10:18] <MaxPower> we don't want to make it too hard to join for fear of screening potential good members
[10:19] <MrCool> yes, but it would eliminate the short attention spanned 13 year olds.....
[10:19] <MaxPower> true.
[10:22] <MrCool> and im sure yourself broken and gehtfuct would have a merry time taking out your frustrations on such retards
[10:22] <MaxPower> However we do that well as it is. Also, it may alienate members that may turn out to be good posters. We need to make sure if this is done, that it's done in such a way to allow some posting. Perhaps just limit the number of posts per day.
[10:23] <MaxPower> this would enable us to determine if we want to overide their restriction
[10:31] <MaxPower> Then again we have like 40,00 members, and at least 60 new join per day.
[10:31] <MaxPower> LOL

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Following the lazyman's method, here's my opinion on the matter... It just seems like instead of limiting the time one spends babysitting the members it would greatly increase it. Think about being forced to sort through 60-180 new members A DAY. That's a lot of processing to be done.

[10:44] <BRiT|> FYI -- there will be no noob screening at all... it never ever works for online forums. it stagnats new user signup.
[10:45] <|BRiT|> its easier and better for the site to just deal with the troublemakers as they're found
[10:46] <|BRiT|> and noob screening also leads to a bottleneck, where a person has to screen them, and will just cause n00bs to create multiple accounts, thinking one was passed over, so they give it another go
[10:59] <|BRiT|> now maybe if we were a specialized site with smaller userbase that screening room would work...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Good job maxie pooter. I knew all that time on your knees would help you in the long run.

I think limiting users too much alienates people. I know for myself that if I was restricted to posting only in one or two forums that I wouldn't have stayed more than a day or two. Sure some folks will say "Gee, that would have been nice."

And that doesn't take into account those users who somehow get into the place and then turn out to be fucktards.

So again, I'd propose making requirements for certain things like the arcade and B&T. Lets say you have to have 10 rep (assuming we don't get another case of insanely high rep like the last go) to post in B&T. That does two things: 1. It makes rep actually count for something and 2. It gives people a reason to work on litterate posts.

You start with 0, you work your way up to 10. Cool, you can play in B&T. BUT you still have to work on it because if you fucker up and slip back to 9 your B&T privelages are revoked. The same could apply to the arcade which would eliminate the dorks that post 100 times and never again.

Basically it gives incentive for ALL users to play nice (or at least not post like drunk monkies) instead of just forcing the n00bs to be on their best behavior.

The benefits as I see them:
1. It affects everyone.
2. It still allows us to have our n00bs and play with them.
3. It removes the need for guys like Max and Broken to monitor the rantings of 60+ people per DAY to see if any of them are worth keeping.
4. It keeps dipshits like Johny Kuntz from being dipshits

The downsides:
1. It may require a bit of code work on the server side to implement.
2. Rep whores like Cuddles would suddenly have a real reason to freak out about a neg rep
3. In the event that rep goes nuts again this system would be relatively useless. (This could perhaps be dealt with by putting a 100 point limit on rep.)
4. It would keep n00bs out of B&T where we have the most fun with them (although the alternative sounds like it would too)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
BRiT said:
Following the lazyman's method, here's my opinion on the matter... It just seems like instead of limiting the time one spends babysitting the members it would greatly increase it. Think about being forced to sort through 60-180 new members A DAY. That's a lot of processing to be done.

[10:44] <BRiT|> FYI -- there will be no noob screening at all... it never ever works for online forums. it stagnats new user signup.
[10:45] <|BRiT|> its easier and better for the site to just deal with the troublemakers as they're found
[10:46] <|BRiT|> and noob screening also leads to a bottleneck, where a person has to screen them, and will just cause n00bs to create multiple accounts, thinking one was passed over, so they give it another go
[10:59] <|BRiT|> now maybe if we were a specialized site with smaller userbase that screening room would work...

Yes, which is why we control them into a few select forums first, there are not 100 new users per day posting, every day. We just want to make it like a game of sorts. But this way, there are not so many newbies that I can not decide between a simple mistake in posting or judgement and a continuous shitty ass behavior.

I understand with your concerns, but it will kind of be just a trial thing. I am sure that if it causes grief and strife, Jason can just push the button....and it will all be better.

latinmaxima

**SPECIAL**
i think whatever is done you should post it where they have access as a sticky so they know why they cant post anywhere else. for the ones worthy of keepign they would hopefully have the sense to read it and know how to stay!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
noobs are like puppies, and as we all know a dog is what you make it..
left to it's own devices a dog will be a dumb animal, properly guided a dog will be a useful and welcome member of the family.

crate train them..

Here's a theory, don't let people post outside the Welcome Wagon until they read the rules. Put a chckbox or something at the bottom of the rules page, just to make sure they read them before they go around posting like dumbasses.

Also, I probably wouldn't have stuck it out if I had to pass some kind of initiation in order to post.
The rep idea might be useful, providing people give rep to good posts with abandon.
Speaking as a former farmer, it sucks to be locked out of the good part of the site.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
canadian_pov said:
Here's a theory, don't let people post outside the Welcome Wagon until they read the rules. Put a chckbox or something at the bottom of the rules page, just to make sure they read them before they go around posting like dumbasses.

Also, I probably wouldn't have stuck it out if I had to pass some kind of initiation in order to post.
The rep idea might be useful, providing people give rep to good posts with abandon.
Speaking as a former farmer, it sucks to be locked out of the good part of the site.
I still perfer re-directing them to the Welcome Wagon once thier membership is confirmed, but that's just me being lazy, and not wanting to look through thier profile for thier first posts, to check on their retardation level.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
UberSkippy said:
Good job maxie pooter. I knew all that time on your knees would help you in the long run.
Ok so you agree that it migh make people not want to stay, and might discourage even potentially good posters?

MaxPower said:
Ok so you agree that it migh make people not want to stay, and might discourage even potentially good posters?
^^^ The problem in a nutshell: Would you post on a site in order to be able to post on a site?
I sure wouldn't, I'd have found another site.