WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

System Protection Steps

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Many times it's nearly impossible to become clean once infected without a complete system reinstall.

The best way of dealing with this is are preventative steps. For each program you should allow them to install auto-updates, as well as set them to immunize and protect your system.

1) Install Firefox, or Chrome to use for web browsing.
2) Install a quality anti-virus program like Nod32, Avast, Bitdefender, or Kaspersky.
3) Install a quality malware prevention program like Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor or Ad-Aware.
4) Install a quality firewall product.
5) Be careful of which websites you visit and which programs you run.

If you've been hit, one of the better tools for diagnostics with possible cleanup is Hijack This.

As for what I run, I use Firefox, NOD32, Spyboy Search & Destory, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and a hardware firewall.

Never ever run Symantec or Norton AntiVirus programs, nor McAfee. They are absolute crap.

nowhereman

Anti Conspirancy Expert
3) Install a quality malware prevention program like Spybot Search & Destroy.

When i checked with spy and destroy and say computer is clean, after that i checked with counterspy it found spyware especially cookies.

i use counterspy now only.

Spikey

Supreme Leader
Does ZoneAlarm apply to 2,3, and 4?

GanjaGirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Does ZoneAlarm apply to 2,3, and 4?

Fuck Zone Alarm. Seriously I had them for a long time, I mean, like 4 years and they've done nothing but go downhill. Go with BRiT's suggestion and get Nod32. I have Mcafee but only because it's free for military personal, if you're going to pay for it, make it worth the monies.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
There is an option for Spybot Search & Destroy to be aggressive on it's cookie checking. Most of it depends on how you have it configured. I never notice the cookie thing since I have Firefox setup as follows:

[*] Accept cookies from Sites
Keep until I close Firefox

The sites I trust I Allow in the Exceptions List. If there is any troublesome sites, you can put them in the Exceptions List as Block.

With this configuration, any tracking cookies only live for the duration of having Firefox running on the same instance. You can also have Firefox always clear your personal data when closing.

As for the guide, I also tried to reference freeware solutions when appropriate.

Gea

Oh, Guy liiike!
Hijack this rarely fixes problems on its own, it just allows you to see what the problem actually is. True malicious trojans/viruses are fucking hard to get off of windows sometimes. Usually there is one program (usually that embeds itself into windows in such a way that it is overlooked by virus programs) that creates other viruses upon startup of windows.

Also: Just because one program catches things another doesn't... well... doesn't mean it is better. In general different programs catch different things better, which is why not just using Norton is suggested.

Oh yeah, and you can use IE if you really want to, just make sure you don't do something stupid. Really it isn't that hard to avoid viruses if you refuse to download anything. That is the number one cause of viruses. "Oh wow this game looks fun... and its free!!!"

Sometimes people will infect themselves while using firefox or the like and not realize it because the virus actually messes with IE. Hah.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Hijack this rarely fixes problems on its own, it just allows you to see what the problem actually is. True malicious trojans/viruses are fucking hard to get off of windows sometimes. Usually there is one program (usually that embeds itself into windows in such a way that it is overlooked by virus programs) that creates other viruses upon startup of windows.
From what I gather, Hijack alows you to basicly "roll back" your windows, helping to removed embeded viri. I have never used it myself, but it's prolly easer than repairing windows.

Also: Just because one program catches things another doesn't... well... doesn't mean it is better. In general different programs catch different things better, which is why not just using Norton is suggested.
I have never felt ok just having one program for protection. And just useing Norton is among the worst ideas ever. Norton has turned into a pile of shit. I built a PC for someone with 2 gigs of ram, a 10,000 RPM raptor HD, and a 2.6 GHZ prossessor, and they ran Norton, the comuter ran so fucking slow with Norton just turned on.

Oh yeah, and you can use IE if you really want to, just make sure you don't do something stupid. Really it isn't that hard to avoid viruses if you refuse to download anything. That is the number one cause of viruses. "Oh wow this game looks fun... and its free!!!"
I think the point of this thread is to inform the PC noobs about the better way of doing things. And not all viri are from downloading shit from websites.

Jung

???
Premium
Kaspersky anti-virus is also very good.

which is why not just using Norton is suggested.
Norton is never recommended; if someone recommends Norton you can be sure they're clueless and can safely be ignored.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
FAR: Kaspersky Internet Suite or Antivirus

I thought I'd point out this hell of a deal, for those of you still looking for system protection software.

Kaspersky and Amazon are running a series of rebates where you can get either Kaspersky product for free after a mail-in rebate. Rebates are valid until 2007-12-31.

Internet Security Suite (Includes AntiVirus) 3 User License ($65 MIR): Amazon Link (KasperSky Site).

AntiVirus Only 1 User License ($50 MIR): Amazon Link (Kaspersky Site).

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
Running windows vista:

Nod32, ad-aware, windows firewall, spybot, hijack this, ccleaner, regcure, bitdefender, peerguardian beta (for vista), and a lot of beer.

From my experience, AVG is shit. I had it on my last PC and ended up losing all of my downloaded music (a good few hundered albums), which unfortunately I wasn't clever enough to back up. I also lost a few years worth of photos but luckily most of those were also on disc. Kaspersky is the best anti-virus software I've had so far.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Kaspersky was also the best I've used, until I installed NOD32.

53V3N

The slow blade penetrates the shield.
Premium
Xoft Spy & Ad-Aware keep my machine nice and clean.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I thought I'd point out this hell of a deal, for those of you still looking for system protection software.

Kaspersky and Fry's are running a rebate where you can get Kaspersky AntiVirus product for free after a mail-in rebate. Rebates are valid until 2008-08-28.

AntiVirus Only 3 User License ($55 MIR): Frys Link (Kaspersky Site).

pick001

Fo' Shizzle
I've got COMODO Firewall Pro running on my machine and it does a really good job, and it has a built in anti-virus and anti-spyware.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Nod32 AntiVirus $14.99

I thought I'd point out this deal, for those of you still looking for system protection software.

Eset and NewEgg are running a rebate where you can get Eset's NOD32 AntiVirus product for a low price of $14.99 after an instant $10 off and $15 off code, EMCAJCJAK, for Newegg email subscribers.

AntiVirus Only 1 User License: NewEgg Link (Eset Site).

Tenshot

Damn Drunk
NOD 32 was the best on my old computer. COMODO firewall is really good. Spybot search and destroy is really good because of the tea timer. AVG isn't horrible, especially run with Spybot and COMODO. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is the best...it has no realtime features, but I run it 2-3 times a week. Very thorough.