WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Tablet pc's?

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Im thinking about getting a new laptop for college and basic computing. I was origionally looking into getting a desktop replacement as a media center pc. But i recently played a little with a tablet pc at my local Bestbuy computer store. I have done a little research and would like to know what ya'll think about them. They are about the same price as basic model laptops.
So what do you think about them, any good?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
swizeguy said:
Im thinking about getting a new laptop for college and basic computing. I was origionally looking into getting a desktop replacement as a media center pc. But i recently played a little with a tablet pc at my local Bestbuy computer store. I have done a little research and would like to know what ya'll think about them. They are about the same price as basic model laptops.
So what do you think about them, any good?
I've worked with them and don't much care for them. It depends on the model but generally they're not any smaller than an actual laptop and a laptop is usually more useful.

A laptop is just as portable and not near as gimmicky.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Pretty much agree with Uber on this one... I'd stick with a laptop.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Alright than any good laptops that are under 2 grand that would be worth looking into?

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
whatever you do, donot buy a sony laptop. They look fancy and shit, but they break down as fast as hell. After three years of usage, the hardware starts to fuck up. Try alienware or dell or ibm.

Still better, buy a ibook or a powerbook(both mac's) they are really good.
But then it also depends what exactly you want the laptop for. Im in college too and the mac is great for me.....writting papers, programming etc.

Mac's= computer superpower.

ps-alienware is kinda more like a gaming computer so im not so sure about that. But there configs and hardware are good.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Tablets are kind of in between handheld and laptops....stick with a laptop. Toshiba puts together a pretty good one.

Alienware does have a less expensive line of PCs and laptops that are more for business and personal use rather than high end gaming. The price reflects the difference.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
skullmaster said:
Mac's= computer superpower.

yeeeeah i dont know about that little statement. Im not a big mac fan. I have looked alittle into the alienware pc's but im not to crazy about buying online either. I hate the wait... oh god do i hate the wait.. lol

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
fujitsu is good to look into. Try looking at the Dell 6000, it is very popular for college students and is the least likely laptop to have technical issues at dell.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
alright guys thanks a bunch i still have a bit more shopping around to do and waiting for some more money from xmas.