WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Tattoos

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
So, i just got permission from my parents to get a tattoo, before i do whats your peoples experience with them. regrets, love them etc. just wanna know if i'll regret it later.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
If you get a tatoo of a gorgeous woman, expect her to sag and age with your skin. ;)

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
haha its not that, its really pretty tasteful, and i like the meaning behind it for me.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
yes you will, even if everyone else here says otherwise, which i doubt, there will be days when you look at it and think 'hmmm?'..
but who cares, really? it's just a fucking tattoo..
pay as much as you can, don't try and save money, this isn't a temporary purchase like a video game or something.. know what you want or hand over all creative control, not a bit of both.. communicate with the artist, if you don't like him when you meet him think again.. there are a lot of artists and if the guy thinks you are an idiot he will rush the job, not all tattoo artists are like that but it's worth bearing in mind.. it hurts a bit, not anything that should be a problem but it does get on your nerves, some people (hi, i'm one) get addicted to the pain but some people get a bit faint.. it's like being pinched really hard, that's all, for an hour at a time.. some places hurt more, on muscle hurts least, on thin areas (breast bone over heart, head, ankle) hurt a LOT.. start on a muscle..
get a clean place, act confidant with them, don't piss them of and you'll be fine..

what are you getting?

Their is always some amount of pain but it depends on where you get it. I have heard the worst is the lower back (where i got mine) but it wasnt that bad. Dont get just anything either, look around and check out shops for prices and the artistic quality (some artists are way better than others).
and listen to what they have to say on after care because my friend didnt, went to the beach and got some serious blisters, nasty. And dont put lotion on it no matter what the artist says. wait a week because lotion makes the color fade

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
make sure it's not something you'll regret having on your body later. like the name of the girlfriend or boyfriend (hey, whatever makes you happy). I would never get a name tattood on me, but i'd get a symbolt hat represents that person. I'm currently working on a native american style raven for my chest (artist is drawing it up right now) since that's my daughter's name.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
I don't think i'll regret it, i want a artistic rendition (if you see a cool one you could share it) of the number five.

for various reasons i want the five, on my right shoulderblade,

It's because i am number 5, the fifth kid out of a family of five.
Five will always be my lucky number, it was the one given to me, i want it more or less as a tribute to my parents. 5 kids is no small feat. thats what i want. im not going to be lame and be like a dragon! like total dumbasses i know... i want my tattoo to represent something about me.

and Tostig, thats a sweet tattoo.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Farceur said:
before i do whats your peoples experience with them. regrets, love them etc. just wanna know if i'll regret it later.
The answer to this, is choose something you think you'll still want when you're older, and means something significant to you. My family crest seemed like a good option for me.
Just put a lot of thought into it, and don't use something that symbolizes a new interest

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I've got 3 tattoos... total around $1,000 spent.

The most important things:
1. Like the artist. See his work. He should have a book of his work. Look through it. If he doesn't let you see his past stuff walk away.
2. Check out his design. Make sure you love it before you go to the trouble of getting inked. Once there, it's too late to change anything.
3. WATCH him set up. Don't just assume it's a clean setup. Watch him get ready. If the needles don't come from a steril package leave. Check EVERYTHING. If the shop is dirty, leave. Tattoo parlors should be damn near operating room clean. If there's dirt and grime bail.
4. Don't go with the guy who can fit you in today. If you have to wait a week or two to get a good job then go for it. My tattoo artist is currently 3 months out.

I don't, and have never regretted any of my tattoos. Someday I might. But I picked carefully and I'm happy with what I have.

i've got tats, just make sure you really like the one your gonna get. be original, have one designed. chose your place carfully, make sure that when you get older you'll be comfortable where it is.
good luck.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
this is all great advice. thank you all.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
sounds nice :) I too talked my mom over, so I could have one at the age of 17..but yeah everything what the others say be careful..bc it is ink that will be there forever :happysad:

I have one on my wrist. Everyone I talked to had me scared shitless thinking it would hurt like hell, but really it wasn't that bad. Sure, it wasn't the greatest feeling, but it was nothing like I thought it'd be. I'm mostly happy with it, although it needs touched up and I'd someday like to add more to it.

Good luck :)

lady victoria

Too old for this shit!
Premium
i cant say that getting a tat hurts, in fact im getting another, just be really careful what you get.;)

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
ok so i have it narrowed odwn to, something artistic with the number 5, or the greek word meaning loyalty or devotion.

what do you guys think?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Farceur said:
ok so i have it narrowed odwn to, something artistic with the number 5, or the greek word meaning loyalty or devotion.

what do you guys think?
greek is sufficiently non LCD.. most people still have kanji.. you could have roman numeral V for 5 too.. maybe have both combined if you chose latin rather than greek..

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
Just make sure you know the greek word for loyalty or devotion before you get it tattooed by someone. If you don't know what it is, it could be greek for "i like cheese shoved into my face" or something like that.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
void latins a good idea.
plus i can just verify it with the millions of latin teachers around here