WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Telemarketing tips

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
Andy Rooney's tips for telemarketers Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:

When you get "ads" enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these "ads" with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2n d mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right?
It costs them more than the regular 37cents postage "IF" and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before! the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas.

Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Expr ess.
Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 37 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work----
I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.

:thumbsup:

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
More tips:

-If, when you answer, the caller doesn't speak right away, hang up immediately. The delay means the machine found out you answered and is wiring you to a telemarketer.

-NEVER leave your fax turned on. Only turn it on when you DO expect a fax, and RIGHT AWAY. I think the reasons are obvious.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I do the Jerry Seinfeld telemarketing trick

Where when they call say, "Now isn't a good time, if you could give me your home phone number I could call you back."

And WITHOUT FAIL they always say "I can't give out that information sir." Or something along the lines of that..

Then say.. "Now you know how I feel.." And hang up..

Everynow and then I get someone that calls me "ma'am".. I just hang up on them..

Clutchtwice

_ потерял душу _
I always pretend I cant hear them...Usualy after about 3 or 4 minutes of this they hang up...I like to pretend im talking to someone in the room with me saying I can hear someone but it's not clear..

That will buy some extra time with the phone phreak on the other end... :D

:mfinger: phone phreaks

Jung

???
Premium
national no call list, they call you press charges. problem solved.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
junglizm said:
national no call list, they call you press charges. problem solved.
Don't you think if it were that easy telemarketing would be shut down by now?......................

So I guess the problem is not solved. I don't think that law applies to all states, or theres serious loop hole some where.

Jung

???
Premium
TwisT said:
Don't you think if it were that easy telemarketing would be shut down by now?.....................I don't think that law applies to all states, or theres serious loop hole some where.
most people don't know about it, but then again most people are morons. my name is on it, i don't get telemarketing calls, problem solved for me.(and that's what really matters;))

p.s. https://www.donotcall.gov

Q: If I register my number on the National Do Not Call Registry, will it stop all telemarketing calls?

A: No. Placing your number on the National Do Not Call Registry will stop most, but not all, telemarketing calls. You may still receive calls from political organizations, charities, telephone surveyors or companies with which you have an existing business relationship.
the rest are where caller id and private numbers come in. i registered my cell and vonage number and neither have received calls since doing so.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
junglizm said:
most people don't know about it, but then again most people are morons. my name is on it, i don't get telemarketing calls, problem solved for me.(and that's what really matters;))

p.s. https://www.donotcall.gov

the rest are where caller id and private numbers come in. i registered my cell and vonage number and neither have received calls since doing so.
I'm on the list too. But I still get a few....Far as cell phones go... They CANNOT call you...They can get in big trouble for that, cuz it uses your minutes, in turn costing you dough. I've never got telemarketing calls on my cell, and don't know any one else that has either (cept you).

But thats good to know! Thanks.

Jung

???
Premium
TwisT said:
I've never got telemarketing calls on my cell, and don't know any one else that has either (cept you).
i never said i received any on my cell, only that i listed it. when i signed up it was an option, so i figured why not. can't(legally) has never been a reason not to, for some;)

swizeguy

How dare you!?
jstager said:
TELEZAPPER

why spend the money on one of those when you can just use some of the many ideas that are out there to pick on the minds of the poor jackass telemarketers.
I just enjoy taking servays of things that im not even old enough to do.. like for voting. :thumbsup: