WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Terry Schiavo

Well theyve pulled the feeding tube. ( again ) I have mixed feelings about her awful dilemma. I dont find the husbands wishes relevant. Hes not involved in her life and there are too many questions about his motives. The parents of course want their daughter to live but Ive wondered if their inability to let their daughter die has clouded their judgement and although theres no question about their motives I wonder if the mom or dad would care to live out their lives in such a manner ?

The only view were unaware of is Terry's of course. This torment has been going on for more than a decade and I wish for the family peace and serenity and dont know what the correct answer is but I do know I wouldnt want to live that way, and I also wouldnt wish my family to have to make that decision on my behalf.

Whatever the outcome I send them my prayers.

concepts said:
Well theyve pulled the feeding tube. ( again ) I have mixed feelings about her awful dilemma. I dont find the husbands wishes relevant. Hes not involved in her life and there are too many questions about his motives. The parents of course want their daughter to live but Ive wondered if their inability to let their daughter die has clouded their judgement and although theres no question about their motives I wonder if the mom or dad would care to live out their lives in such a manner ?

The only view were unaware of is Terry's of course. This torment has been going on for more than a decade and I wish for the family peace and serenity and dont know what the correct answer is but I do know I wouldnt want to live that way, and I also wouldnt wish my family to have to make that decision on my behalf.

Whatever the outcome I send them my prayers.
:rolleyes: The husband isn't involved in his wife's life? They should leave the family alone and not use this for political gain. :thumbsdn: All brain dead people should be taken off life support. They can't think. They are dead. The machines keep them alive and feed them. It's just keeping a corpse alive. They can't think. It is selfish to keep them alive. Hell lets go rob some graves and put them on life support. It's the same thing as keeping brain dead people alive. It helps no one. It wastes energy. Let's stop thinking about ourselves and think about the future and how we need to conserve energy and find new energy sources.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
see 1 thing i dont understand is this.......they way they are tryin 2 "kill" her is making her starve to death.....can't they use lethal injection......see i'd like to see some murderers die from starvation but they wont........why? cuz its "inhumaine" but is it "humaine" to pull a feeding tube on a brain dead person? if you gonna let her die then do it through lethal injection.....damn

I used to have the same sentiment about her...let her go. The thing is although shes severely disabled shes alive and reacting to stimuli. Her parents have been involved from the get go. They are there....every day. The husband has moved on with his life, he is involved with another woman, they have children together. Hes refused to divorce her, why ? Theres a great deal of settlement money at stake. His motives are suspect.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
why does he have to have such sinister motives?....No person wants what happened to that woman...and for the husband to have the courage to let her go....is commendable to say the least. I dont have to tell you that this is yet another case of our extreme right leaning government imposing its values on us.

Why does he have to have sinister motives ? His motives are only suspect by his own personal actions. Im not one to jump on the bandwagon and point fingers. Im not him I cant possibly know what lives in his heart. I would have a very difficult time letting my wife live that way.
He however refuses to divorce her and let the parents care for her. He lives with a woman and has children with her. Theres a great deal of money at stake. Why wont he divorce her if his life and heart are with another ?
My thoughts about human nature begin with my belief that people are loving and kind and good. Im not however an idiot and theres something wrong with this picture.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
If we lived in the Lifetime movie channel....I would totally agree with you.

We all live in the same world. Its our own personal experiences and how we percieve them that makes us individuals. You and I can take an event and percieve them in different ways making it a seperate occurence for both of us.
Its a choice not a given.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
When ever you cut the head off of a chicken, it flops around like it's alive. Hell, I've even seen some headless chickens run around. Does that make them alive? I guess I shoulda put the fuckers on life support. :thumbsdn:

Theres logic in here somewhere ? Comparing a chicken to a human life ? When we devalue humanity to the point of dismissing them as inconvenient, we've lost everything that is sacred.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Life. Hmm....

Back to the age old question. What is life? Is it being purely mechanical, with only minimal automical responses left? Is it needing machines to sustain each and every life function?

Am I there? NO.

Do I really care? NO.

Do I think that irrationallity or the "Justice" system will solve any moral dilemma? NO.

Why are the parents keeping her "alive"? They do not want their daughter to "die", although she already has. Denial is keeping her "alive". :thumbsdn:

If you dont care about something as cor and fundamental as the value of human life then Im at a loss for words. I guess the most I can say is I feel sorry for you. I mean what the hell else is there ?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
bigck3000 said:
If we lived in the Lifetime movie channel....I would totally agree with you.
He basically said so on the news. He called his wife a bitch to her parents and asked the doctor if she would fucking die. Its not opinion, its fact. But, let her die anyways. That isnt a life for anybody. If I were like that, someone better fucking kill me. I dont want to be trapped in my body with all the dark things floating around in MY head.

Of course !!! Who would want to live like that ? I wouldnt ! The question is who has her best intentions at heart ? I believe the parents do and they are her primary care givers. Shes not dead ! Look lets face it we obviously have no say nor should we, the ones that truly love her are the ones that matter, as well as Terry and the parents must be allowed to do what they think is right !!!

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
The parents are only thinking of themselves. Otherwise she wouldn't be suffering.

And as for not taking human life seriously. I do. BUT, there is no reasonable excuse to keep someone alive like that. It is pure stupidity. And stupidity I do not care for. Plain and simple.

I'm not defending the husband either. He's a cocksucker if he's hanging around for the settlement check. But the parents aren't any less pitiful by keeping her hooked up to machines that simulate life processes.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Her parents are selfish. They can not bear the loss of her. Her husband is selfish. Nobody has her best interests at heart, except mabye her doctor.

I suspect in reality the parents have been thinking of nothing but Terry.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Life is a precious thing. But this is merely existence. This is why everyone should assign a legal medical proxy for himself or herself. Someone you can trust to make these kinds of decisions. I made it perfectly clear to my significant other, that if I was ever in a similar situation to this and all medical routes have been exhausted, that I was not to be left in a vegetative state for years on end. Of course that can only apply to those who are kept alive by artificial means.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
concepts said:
I suspect in reality the parents have been thinking of nothing but Terry.
I suspect in reality the parents have been thinking of nothing but the possibility of Terry... even though it doesn't exist.