Headlines Terry Shiavo Poll

Should they keep her on a machine to keep her alive?

• Yes, because she might come back.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • No, because it is stupid and she is already dead anyway.

Votes: 39 79.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

jamesp

In Memory...
i didnt vote in the poll because the choices werent to my way of thinking. i think that she should be kept on life support not because she might come out of it but because someone is footing the bill, thats they're desicion.

Jung

???
Premium
Yeah, but wasn't it proven, or at least said that she'd previously stated that wasn't what she'd want in that situation? I think her previous wishes should've been honored above all. Not to mention that all this bureaucratic bullshit should've never been brought up over this case.

I know I wouldn't want to be needlessly kept on life support in that situation. Just let me die naturally, get my finances in order and give it to my children. There's no point in being a burden on your family when it's clear that you'll never be revived.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
Yeah, but wasn't it proven, or at least said that she'd previously stated that wasn't what she'd want in that situation? I think her previous wishes should've been honored above all. Not to mention that all this bureaucratic bullshit should've never been brought up over this case.

I know I wouldn't want to be needlessly kept on life support in that situation. Just let me die naturally, get my finances in order and give it to my children. There's no point in being a burden on your family when it's clear that you'll never be revived.

well, i was not aware that she had requested otherwise, in that case of course her wishes should be honored.

You know, before I saw this thread I had no idea who Terry Shiavo was. This was because I don't watch the news. So out of this whole ordeal I learned a simple lesson: Don't watch the news. Pass it on.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
PantherNews said:
This is a weird coincidence but as of right now me and my arguement and persuasion class is covering this topic. We had a debate yesterday about whether her feeding tube should have been removed and why or why not. Like I had said then, there is a distinct line between living and existing...and right now she is simply existing. Terry Schiavo, as a person (her personality, memories, etc), are gone and are dead. She is already dead, they just aren't letting her shell die. They have been dealing with this for 15 years and went through about 12 court cases over it. It is the husbands legal right to decide what happens in these types of situations anyway, so I dont see a case on the side of the parents at all. As far as im concerned they are just being selfish and keeping her alive just to make themselves happy, not for her (Terry). Every court case they've had the parents have lost. I forgot who it was but someone brought up the point that he waited 8 years to say that she wanted to die and they say that he did it for the money, well maybe he just hadn't moved on yet, maybe he still had hope 7 years ago for her. People criticize his moving on and getting another girlfriend and having children with her, well after 15 years I hope he had moved on. Maybe he finaly realized that there was no hope for her and decided to move on. He is still married to Terry because she was obviously unable to sign for a divorce, he is just trying to make a new life with his girlfriend. Maybe we should stop criticizing what he's doign until we've been in his situation.

you don't leave your wife on a tube for 15 years and run off with a new woman. Claiming to be her husband. I am sorry just something doesn't seem right.

:/

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I personally think that the courts errored on the side of death rather than on the side of life. If her "existence" was even questionable she should still be "alive" no matter what existence it was. I know I'm retracting my previous statement of just letting her die, but in the begininng I was hearing nothing but "she wanted to die, and now they won't let her." Bah, who am I kidding, I don't give a shit. :thumbsdn:

tzedek

Original Member
_Kitana_ said:
you don't leave your wife on a tube for 15 years and run off with a new woman. Claiming to be her husband. I am sorry just something doesn't seem right.

:/
great, you are bringing your ignorance back :(

scgalemd

Necro-Poster
dignity

Somewhere - closer than you think - your right and your family's rights to be allowed to die with dignity are being compromised by those who would exploit your misfortune and those who believe they are better informed than you to make your decisions. Life should be measured in quality not quantity.

2233boys

Yes you are!
scgalemd said:
Somewhere - closer than you think - your right and your family's rights to be allowed to die with dignity are being compromised by those who would exploit your misfortune and those who believe they are better informed than you to make your decisions. Life should be measured in quality not quantity.

It is all about a living will there was none in this case. That is where the issue stemed from.
As far as measuring life, none of us are in a place where we have the right to determine if another human being should live or die… I’d prefer it be left up to the individual (as in a living will) or the creator…

scgalemd

Necro-Poster
2233boys said:
It is all about a living will there was none in this case. That is where the issue stemed from.
As far as measuring life, none of us are in a place where we have the right to determine if another human being should live or die… I’d prefer it be left up to the individual (as in a living will) or the creator…

The problem is that the creator is unable to intervene on a daily basis - we (that is physicians like me) are required to make these decisions daily - with only our human (that is imperfect) judgement and biased opinion. The family and the physician must develop a partnership which can then guide the family to the most ethical, dignified, and appropriate way to let their terminal loved one die.

Without guidelines, politicians get involved

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
scgalemd said:
Without guidelines, politicians get involved

WRONG!

These situations happen every day in this country, and the polititians don't give a shit.

Except when they are the President and their brother, who is the Governor of that State, stands to gain favor with the religious right by intervening.