WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

That mud goes in a container, not the grass!

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I went to a friend's party last night and they had a mud pit in their backyard. I had my swimming suit, so I gave it a try. I got COVERED in mud from head to toe...I even had a deemed "mudhawk". During the session, I started itching. I thought it might just be the mud drying, and it wasn't bugging me that much, so I left it alone. The party kicked ASS, (and the Spurs won game 1 of the finals! w00t!) This morning, however, I woke up to find legs covered in bites and bumps. I thought it was an allergic reaction, but I think there might have been some chiggers in the grass around the mudpit and they leeched onto my skin. I put some benedryl on the bites and my mom recommended putting some clear nail polish to suffocate any chiggers that might have burrowed underneath my skin.

Next time, I'll suggest that they have the mud contained in something! Regardless, it was still alot of fun.

magnolia

Postaholic
Yeah. Chiggers are no fun. My mom and brother used to get them a lot and then we had the lawn sprayed. Not much you can do cept put on anti itch stuff. Good luck with that. Luckily it doesn't last too long.

And awsome that you had that much fun at the party. Wish I coulda gone to something that fun.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
From your link:
That's why most chigger bites are around the ankles, the back of the knees, about the crotch, under the belt line and in the armpits. The insertion of the mouth parts is not perceptible. The bite alone is not the source of the itch.
HAHAHA. That fucking sucks.

And just an FYI on the nailpolish from that article,
Folklore tells us they burrow under our skin and die, that they drink our blood and that they can best be killed by suffocation with nail polish or bathing with bleach, alcohol, turpentine or salt water. Surprisingly, all these popular facts are just plain wrong.
The most popular home remedy for which there is little justification is to dab nail polish on the welt. This cannot "smother" the chigger because it has not burrowed into your skin, and it was probably scratched off long ago. The only benefit to applying a thick coat of nail polish is that it helps to remind you not to scratch the bite.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I didn't actually read the article...it was more for reference. But I'm glad you took the time to point that out...thanks.

I didnt find any chiggers after applying the benedryl...I think they were probably scratched off. I did have some bites near my "danger zone", that was no fun.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
i just hope they dont leave scars...cuz someone could think they were an STD or something!

"Hey, what are those bumps on your leg?"
"Oh these? A couple spider bites from this time I was covered in mud. Now let's make love!"
"I just remembered, I have to go feed my cat. I'll be back later. Bye!"