WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines "The abuse of power will not be tolerated" Senators reach agreement

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nat...&en=5f454e05fdcd1189&ei=5094&partner=homepage
Senators Reach Deal to Avert a Showdown on Judicial Nominees

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 8:20 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Averting a showdown, centrists from both parties reached agreement Monday night on a compromise that clears the way for confirmation votes on many of President Bush's stalled judicial nominees, leaves others in limbo and preserves venerable Senate filibuster rules.

''In a Senate that is increasingly polarized, the bipartisan center held,'' said Sen. Joseph Lieberman, D-Conn.

''The Senate is back in business,'' echoed Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., one of 14 senators who signed the two-page memorandum of agreement, which cited ''mutual trust and confidence.''

Under the terms, Democrats would agree to oppose any attempt to filibuster -- and thus block final votes -- on the confirmation of Priscilla Owen, Janice Rogers Brown and William Pryor. There is ''no commitment to vote for or against'' the filibuster against two other conservative nominees, Henry Saad and William Myers.

As for future nominees, the agreement said they should ''only be filibustered under extraordinary circumstances,'' with each Democrat senator holding the discretion to decide when those conditions had been met.

''In light of the spirit and continuing commitments made in this agreement,'' Republicans said they would oppose any attempt to make changes in the application of filibuster rules.

Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada welcomed the agreement -- although he hastened to say he remains opposed to some of the nominees who will now likely take seats on the appeals court.

''We have sent President George Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and the radical right of the Republican party an undeniable message....the abuse of power will not be tolerated.''

Descent

Hella Constipated
This is the greatest thing I've ever seen :happysad:.

We're back in business!

ok so gimme a break im Scottish..

OK I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to American politics - probably because I live 4000 miles away in another country, but what exactly does all that mean?

I gather it's something good because you've posted it and made comment but as I said I'm just an ignorant twat with American politics.

:confused:

It's ok if you wanna give me abuse over it too lol..

Messerschmit said:
OK I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to American politics - probably because I live 4000 miles away in another country, but what exactly does all that mean?

I gather it's something good because you've posted it and made comment but as I said I'm just an ignorant twat with American politics.

:confused:

It's ok if you wanna give me abuse over it too lol..
Ok, after the election, one the president's first jobs is to apoint new justices to the Supreme Court. This is a big deal because once you are on, you can't be fired for any reason (unless you commit a crime or something). The only check for this is that the candidates need senate aproval before they can be apointed. This has become an increasingly bigger problem in recent years because of the polarization of America's political system. The "middle party" is becomming smaller and smaller as more people join the democrats or republicans. Thus, a president would most likely be more biased in their choices, opting for justices in the same camp rather than keeping it equal. The article above is reporting on a new memorandum that a group of Democratic senators have signed to do just that. It has often been the case in the senate that senators of the oposite party would automaticly reject the other camp's candidates without fair judgement (pardon the pun). Now this group of senators have agreed to keep it fair. Repubican representatives have also agreed to this and have pledged not to fight the choices of these senators.
Hope this helps...I think i got it right ;)