WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The Aceh War

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Any views on the situation in Indonesia?

There has been a civil war going on in Indonesia for 30 years. Now the situation has gotten even worse, because of the tsunami and all. A few weeks back the Indonesian government and the "Free Aceh"-organisation leaders were in a peace-conference held in Helsinki, Finland. I dont know how much this has gained media coverage abroad, but in here it has been quite a known issue. Over 14,5 thousand people have been killed during the conflict. Not much if you compare it to the Iraqi war figures, but every life is too much. And the iraqi wars just plain silly anyways.
The head o f the peace commission is the former president of Finland, Martti Ahtisaari. Next week there will be new negotiations on the issue. They too are held at Helsinki.
"Aceh-district" so to say in itself is a real paradise. It has large oil and natural gas reserves. At the moment these are actually perpetuating the conflict. The money that is to stay in the area suddenly alway disappears to the governments coffers or into the black hole of corruption .
ExxonMobil is doing the pumping in close collaboration with the army

previous peace negotiators are in prison

so any views?

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I dont want to be the idiot representative of the U.S here on wtf....but I've never heard of this before. I'm going to research...be back in a bit to post proper.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i HAVE heard about this before. i heard that the tsunami really helped make some peace in this country. its the tragedies that force people to come together for the common good.

..there is now also a chance to construct a new political future for the province..
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4368275.stm

Old news, hope to hear something good soon.

RetArt said:
Any views on the situation in Indonesia?

There has been a civil war going on in Indonesia for 30 years. Now the situation has gotten even worse, because of the tsunami and all. A few weeks back the Indonesian government and the "Free Aceh"-organisation leaders were in a peace-conference held in Helsinki, Finland. I dont know how much this has gained media coverage abroad, but in here it has been quite a known issue. Over 14,5 thousand people have been killed during the conflict. Not much if you compare it to the Iraqi war figures, but every life is too much. And the iraqi wars just plain silly anyways.
The head o f the peace commission is the former president of Finland, Martti Ahtisaari. Next week there will be new negotiations on the issue. They too are held at Helsinki.
"Aceh-district" so to say in itself is a real paradise. It has large oil and natural gas reserves. At the moment these are actually perpetuating the conflict. The money that is to stay in the area suddenly alway disappears to the governments coffers or into the black hole of corruption .
ExxonMobil is doing the pumping in close collaboration with the army

previous peace negotiators are in prison

so any views?
Yes, that civil war has been going for 30 years, but there's a lot more to it.
Here's there Declaration of Independence. It also contains their history of war
winch started on March 26, 1873.
http://www.asnlf.net/asnlf_int/politics/declaration41276ing.htm

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
Holy Shit.

An entire post with out any :rotflmao:? I think I need to change my pants.