WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The administration at my school is most definitely racist.(hear me out)

Ok, so my Adv. Coll. Algebra/Trig teacher Mr. Garland was speaking with the class this morning about how he had decided to quit being the DJ at our school. Everyone was upset, as everyone knows Mr. Garland, and everyone thinks he is the most optimistic, kind-hearted person ever. He apparently got a note from the administration. Here is why he decided to quit being our DJ (verbatim):

Dear Mr. Garland,

We here at Albemarle believe in keeping a positive atmosphere, even during social events in which music has been monitored by you and your aids. However we believe that "rap music" in fact has a negative influence upon the school, and would greatly appreciate it if you stopped playing it during pep rallys, dances, or any other special events.

The Administration

Now I know a lot of people will say "But Welsh...rap sucks..." I know I know, some people think this. But does anyone here think that thats a little bit of discrimination? To cancel out an African-American influence and describe it as negative? Mr. Garland even returned a letter to the administration about how he believed that he could not agree with the rules, and would no longer DJ unless they would remove them. They have no responded, and it has been 2 weeks so far. I hope the administration burns for what they've done.:mfinger:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
them not approving of rap isn't racist..

if you want rap music at school wear your ipod..

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
That's a retarded assumption. Associating african americans with rap is racist. Censoring is just plain retarded. But retarded doesn't nessecarily mean racist. People didn't like rock music when it first came out. So, whatever. Your administration is retarded, but not racist.

its not about rap music...in fact i don't really like rap myself. its just the fact that they called it a negative influence...which is kinda like saying black people are horrible horrible people (which isn't true at all). i just think thats bullshit ^ n

edit: i agree with the point made that my administration is retarded.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
BrIONwoshMunky said:
Your administration is retarded, but not racist.
*you're

This message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Grammar Nazi.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
No, it isn't saying black people are a negative influence. YOU saying that what they are saying is a racist action, IS racist. No where did they give that as a reason. You are putting words in their mouths. They just probably don't like the supposedly overt references to sex, drugs, and violence in 'Rap' music. But you trying to pin their actions on Racism is just stupid.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
them not approving of rap isn't racist..

although the vast majority of rappers are black, the audience are at least 50% white.. and i don't imagine there are many rappers at your school, the admin are anti rap.. not rapper..

I'm not trying to put words in their mouths. Garland was the one pointing out this all out, and it made sense to me. I'm just trying to see if anyone can point out the fallacies of the administration. And if you don't agree with me, ok. u don't have to chew my ass out(brionwashmunky). Pretty much everyone at school is outraged. And I'm not racist. Just trying to get an opinion.

Fideru

Agitated Pancake
You're=You are?

How the hell?

LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID MY BRAINS ARE COMING OUT.

(insert picture fideru lying on the ground, eyes rolled up in back of head with brain matter oozing from ears)

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i have no idea, when i read BWM post i thought i saw you're, but then i corrected it to you're, i've confused myself

[head explodes]

[monkey pops out]

Monkey: "'ello chums! Mighty fine night it is. 'Ave you noticed the slight decrease in CDML stocks this week? Rather disappointing I'd say."

[monkey explodes]

Fideru

Agitated Pancake
angrywelshman said:
(insert picture fideru lying on the ground, eyes rolled up in back of head with brain matter oozing from ears)

Jung

???
Premium
You seem to be the one placing a certain race on rap, not the school. I personally like some hip hop, but most rap is horrible, and I can certainly see why the administration wouldn't want it played at school functions.

I do disagree with what the school has done, but only to a certain level. Not that it should matter, but I hate rap. "Ya can't spell CRAP without RAP!" lol It's just not my kinda music, but they shouldn't be able to ban an entire genre of music because the content of some of the songs. However, banning those songs that directly promote and/or are suggestive of negative and inappropriate content is not a bad idea. Songs about "poppin' a cap in someone's ass" is not appropriate for any type of school. If someone wants to hear that, they can listen to it on their own time, but songs about "kickin' it with your homies" and "chillin' in you Escalade," I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to play that. Like I said, I don't like it, but I get to hear my music from a DJ. You should be able to hear yours. I only see one problem with your argument. Why are you posting it on a fuckin' thread on WTF.com instead of doin' something about it?!?!? Grow some balls and say something. Get some people in on it with ya. The people have the power in this country. Do something about it and quite whinnin' like a little bitch on a website! :thumbsup: WORD BITCH

Well the rap that Garland would play isn't really about "ho's" and "what it is"....its pretty chill and doesn't promote anything negative.

Why am I not doing anything about it? Actually, this just happened today. I've already gotten a few people to come with me to talk with the admins about this. So :mfinger: to ur motha! (jk) (im not flaming) (I PROMISE)