WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The big question?

Mr. Sandman

acidum arsenici
A famous philosoher one said that human life is no more significant than the life of a cow or an insect. We eat, sleep, stay alive for a while, and reproduce, so that others like us can eat, sleep, stay alive for a while, and reproduce, but without any ultimate purpose at all. How would you answer him? What purpose does human life have that is not to be found in the life of a cow or an insect? What is the purpose of your life? :horse:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i totally agree that we are no more important than the bugs.. not from a religious angle.. but just from a realistic angle. anything that is life on this planet has just as much right to live or die as any other thing.. obviously, some things prevail as dominant species, i'm not disputing that, and i'm not crazy enough to think that if i had to chose between killing a fly or killing a pig that i wouldn't be able to choose.. although they have equal rights to life, light and air there are more flies killed by me than pigs.
although, i went through a long phase where i wouldn't even kill a mosquito as it drank my blood.. or wear leather shoes.. or eat honey or wear wool..

did i mention i was an acid eating vegan?

i'm better now.. i'm a wine drinking vegetarian.. i kill mosquitoes. :thumbsup:

topic.. we are all equal, except man has ego.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
I think Delusions of Grandeur would tie in with your statement. Most are too far up their own asses to realise that they weren't put on this planet for any reason other than to eat, shit, sleep, fuck, and die.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Unforgiven said:
Eat, sleep, shit, fuck, die.

Not in that particular order.
For you isn't it more like "Eat, sleep, fuck shit, die."

Of course we're more important than a cow or an insect. You ever see cow that can ligh a BBQ or a bug that can whack me with a fly swatter?

uber i could wack you with a fly swatter :)
you don't see a fly or a cow destroying the eather little by little, killing eachother in the name of god. so i think maybe they are better then us :D

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Nymphchick said:
you don't see a fly or a cow destroying the eather little by little, killing eachother in the name of god. so i think maybe they are better then us :D
That's just proof that we ARE more significant. He never said which was better, just more significant. :)

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Man has made up everything. With words. "The problem of consciousness". Therefore man has also made up the idea of "greater purpose". And as man has made it up it also fits mans needs. You see, animals do not need to make these folklores and such to justify their being.(greatly because they can´t). Man always searches answers for some "big" questions to get some order to the chaos around us.
It is not that humans are more special than other animals, it is just that man has made the standards, and therefore they have an advantage. It is like democracy.. People choose some common rules, and play by them, no matter how they affect the minorities etc. (this saying that men are the majosrity, due to speak). Everything but the controlling majority is more or less irrelevant as humans have a need to put themselves on a universal pedestal.

Like survival of the fittest, the winner gets to choose the common rules of lifes gameplay.

There are also many differences that have developed on humans during evolution (or functionalism if you see that more fit than Darwin) compared to other animals.

Culture. Man is the only animal with a "cultural need". Man needs to create. This is also seen as the goal and main motivator of human life in many puplications and theories (see. Maslows hierarchy of needs for example). also link language to this

Destroyism. :) Man has a need to destroy. Freud saw this pretty much as the tanathos (fiction on death). Man does irrational things just because they can. They play God (which is an entity they made up to explain everything understandable by common sense) and they have a rush about it. It is sort of an ego-booster to have ultimate control over something. Whether it is hunting for sport, destroying other peoples property or even murder.

Eplainatorism :) Man must explain his world. Mans world only consists of words in our memory (as almost every info in memory is coded by language). That bunch of words is mans image on world and himself.
There has been many things that can not be explained (coded with words) therefore men have simply made things up. To get order into chaos. Humans seek for some greater motivator, greater need, bigger entities. Humans are too weak to see that they are merely (in our strandards) highly developed mammals that think too much of themselves.

void said:
if i had to chose between killing a fly or killing a pig that i wouldn't be able to choose.. although they have equal rights to life, light and air there are more flies killed by me than pigs.
Its a funny thing though isn't it? For some reason there are certain walks of life that we inatley feel are above or below others in significance despite what our logic concludes... I wonder if it has something to with our brains affording higher significance to animals we see as having a closer 'intelligence' to ours?... Anyway, although I don't really like killing anything unless I have too, I to kill more flies than pigs... and that will only change when pigs fly!:eek: