WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The Catholic Church is evil

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#1
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- After nearly three years of legal wrangling, the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles has released information from the personnel files of 126 clergy accused of sexual abuse.

The confidential records show that for more than 75 years the nation's largest archdiocese shipped accused priests between therapy and new assignments, often ignoring parishioners' complaints.

And, in many cases, there was little mention of child molestation. Instead, euphemisms such as "boundary violations" were used to describe the conduct.

The documents were released late Tuesday as part of settlement talks with lawyers for more than 500 accusers in a civil lawsuit. The records, which summarize clergy personnel files, offer details in numerous cases, though much of the information has already been published in various forms.

One priest, who served as a teacher and administrator at numerous Southern California schools, was convicted of molesting two boys and given probation. The conviction was later expunged from his record.

A subsequent report was made in 1994 of "boundary violations," in which he allegedly patted the buttocks of a teenager. He entered alcohol treatment days later and was eventually placed on leave.

Another priest's file shows the archdiocese received repeated complaints that he engaged in "inappropriate sexual conduct with children" beginning in 1959, but that it did not appear to take significant action against him until 1994 when he was relieved of his duties, documents said.

The files show that in many cases the church provided years of therapy to some of the clergy. The archdiocese has posted nearly 150 pages of summaries from the clergy files on its Web site. (Archdiocese of Los Angelesexternal link)

Raymond P. Boucher, the plaintiffs' lead attorney, said the newly released information was a first step but that complete personnel files, including letters of transfer and other confidential documents, should be made public.

"The significance of these files is that they provide a little more information for the public about the church's knowledge and frankly their participation in the molestation of children, but until the files are made public, we're not going to be satisfied," he said.

Archdiocese and plaintiff attorneys had agreed to release the information, but lawyers for the accused clergy succeeded in blocking publication, arguing it would violate their clients' privacy rights.

An appellate court ordered the documents released last month.

David Clohessy, who heads a victims' rights group, called the information release a "shrewd public relations effort," as civil cases against the clergy inch toward trial.

Archdiocese attorney J. Michael Hennigan said that in the early days of the accusations, church officials did not go to civil authorities because "parents of children who had been victims did not want their children famous for this. They did not want people talking about this."

Hennigan said that in many cases counseling was offered to clergymen accused of abuse. Those accused were generally removed from the ministry altogether as church officials' understanding of sexual abuse increased, he said.



http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/12/priest.abuse.ap/index.html




Shuffling child molesters, or even potential offenders, around the country and making light of the thousands of lives they destroyed along the way. A lesson in the hypocrisy and lies of the "righteous."
 

Sektor

Particinator
662
0
0
#2
The most evil religious institution on the face of this earth... that's not to mention they also helped hide Nazis after World War II, and went on Crusades to "convert" people to their "righteous" way of life...

And now it's child molesting. This has probably gone on for as long as catholicism (I'm NOT capitalizing that word) has existed. Fuck them, and everything they stand for.
 

wilko125

Rep My Post
1,278
0
36
#3
i feel sad, that shit is the wrongest most fucked up thing ever!
 

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
1,488
23
102
#4
i've been aware of this for quite a while and it isn't just the males either, but I didnt know any figures. Another interesting read.
 

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
6,775
281
118
#5
The Catholic Church has killed more people than any other organization on the planet...
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#6
It's all fucked up protestant White Anglo Saxon propaganda.

From the moment on, Henry VIII made himself head of the Anglican Church, the British never stopped to throw shit at the Pope and the Catholic Church.

As if crimes don't appear in other churches.
In fact trough the ages a lot of crimes were comitted based on religion.

The nazi's... Yes, the Pope in that period helped the Americans to get German nazi's to build op the CIA and the space program.
Also helped to get nazi's to South America to support the American efforts to supress communism in that area.

(Did you ever hear it that way? I doubt it!)

The tortures of the Inquisition..
In fact the Inquisition was installed to make an end to the random burning of heretics and witches because the local autorities were after their money or goods most of the time.
And did the Americans have no witch burnt after they left the despicable Europe and the Catholic Church? ;)

Of course the Vatican is not able to control all the local clergymen, and what they do. If Americans like to fumble in childrens private parts, it's tha failure of the same American system that they don't get punished.
You can't blame the Vatican for that.
It's just your own lack of social control.
Your own need for a hedonistic individualism, that dream of freedom, that has a dark side that enables crimes that noboby is aware of, because there is more than enough possibilities in time and space to do evil.
That's why the anonimity of the American society cries for the ultimate punishment to do away with the worst crimes.
You only have yourself to blame, and don't point your finger!
 

DrCruel

Fresh Meat
2
0
0
#7
By far, the most deadly ideology that has ever existed is socialist atheism. More people by far have been slaughtered in the name of that "faith" - at last count, over 100 million - than by any other.

The Crusades were a response - about 300 years late - to mass invasions, conquests and massacres of Christians in Europe. At the time Castilians were already engaged in the beginnings of the Reconquesta, a process of pushing back the Muslim invaders in Iberia that would last over 700 years. One of the goals of the Crusades was to free the masses of slaves taken by Saracens the Mediterranean, a business some Muslims still practice in Africa to the present day.

Christianity, and Catholicism in particular, has been historically a force for good in the world. Were it only that other religious faiths - to include neo-pagan socialist evangelicalism - had such a record for general decency.
 

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
7,550
406
302
#8
RedOctober, while I'm all for bashing America when it deserves it you're off base here. If you think it's only American Catholic Churches involved in Molestation have you not listened to all the same talk from Europe? Sexual repression fucks people up, whatever country they are in. Ireland, England, to name just two have reported the same horrific shit.

It makes me laugh in a dark and sad way that people STILL believe in Catholicism after this shit comes to light. I guess some people are just born suckers. The Pope, what a joke. Organized religion = Organized insanity.
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#9
JLXC said:
RedOctober, while I'm all for bashing America when it deserves it you're off base here. If you think it's only American Catholic Churches involved in Molestation have you not listened to all the same talk from Europe?
I am just reacting on some stupid remarks about the Catholic Church.
It doesn't control catholics at all, at least a whole lot less than protestant churches do their followers it seems.
Every catholic is responsible for his own deeds. Just like anybody else.
If the clergymen protect each other, they should be punished. It's as simple as that.

In Europe we had a few cases in this matter, and the evildoers are punished.
All the dramatic stories date back from 100 years ago, when society was under direct influence from the mayor and the church.
In those days it happened that crimes of the higher classes were hidden anyway.
 

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
1,488
23
102
#10
RedOctober said:
If the clergymen protect each other, they should be punished.
This is the route of the problem; by hiding the evidence of individuals because of the fear that the church will lose respect has backfired. The church has lost more respect because it did try to conceal the truth.

It would be stupid to label the church as a bunch of child molesters. Celibacy affects everyone in different ways. Perhaps they should perform yearly psychological test to fish out the mentally disturbed and deal with them with modern day methods instead of hiding them behind thick curtains.

Faith alone is not enough for some.
 
328
0
0
#11
has anyone ever thought that maybe is the sick that seek out solitude in the church. everyone wants to make it seem like catholicism makes child molesters . It doesn't. These people go out and become members of the clergy and to everyone else in the clergy the build a good reputation as faithful and doing god's work. they establish a connection with their superiors and use that once they committ their crimes. the clergy who cover them should be removed as well. but catholicism is not the cause. this is the same thing as cops covering for each other or the president looking out for his supporters when positions become availabel in the government. stop blaming catholics and start blaming people.
 

jamesp

In Memory...
1,714
1
0
#12
Go Google the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Long read short, they are supposedly the last testament of Jesus himself, in which he denounces organized religion telling his followers that he can be worshipped and prayed to as easily in the woods as in a church.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
1
0
#13
jamesp said:
he can be worshipped and prayed to as easily in the woods as in a church.
= buddhism.. :thumbsup:
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#14
DrCruel said:
By far, the most deadly ideology that has ever existed is socialist atheism. More people by far have been slaughtered in the name of that "faith" - at last count, over 100 million - than by any other.
You're quite obviously referring to Marxism here and the communist states. I'd like to see where you figure 100,000,000 people died because of that "ideology". As there were far less than 1,000,000 slaughtered during that revolution.

DrCruel said:
The Crusades were a response - about 300 years late - to mass invasions, conquests and massacres of Christians in Europe. At the time Castilians were already engaged in the beginnings of the Reconquesta, a process of pushing back the Muslim invaders in Iberia that would last over 700 years. One of the goals of the Crusades was to free the masses of slaves taken by Saracens the Mediterranean, a business some Muslims still practice in Africa to the present day.
Sounds to me more like an excuse after the fact to justify a war started in the name of a pacifist. But I'm not a huge history buff so I'll leave it alone.

DrCruel said:
Christianity, and Catholicism in particular, has been historically a force for good in the world. Were it only that other religious faiths - to include neo-pagan socialist evangelicalism - had such a record for general decency.
It sounds to me like more of the same rhetoric that Christians are GOOD and everyone else is EVIL. Well here's a few fun facts about Christianity in general:
1. Burnning people at the stake was done in the name of Christ.
2. The Spanish Inquisition in which people were brutally tortured until the admitted to a sin they may or may not have committed and then were put to death for said sin was done in the name of Christ.
3. Adolf Hitler used Christiantiy as an excuse for his actions.
4. Most of the KKK in the 50's and 60's were good God fearing Christians.

So how about you step off your soap box and realize that being a "Christian" doesn't make you any better or any worse than anyone else on the planet. Religious bigotry is the cause for more global conflict than anything else in the world. And you certainly sound like another American Religious Bigot. e.g. You're American, You're Christian and that automatically makes you RIGHT.
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#15
UberSkippy said:
[...]

It sounds to me like more of the same rhetoric that Christians are GOOD and everyone else is EVIL. Well here's a few fun facts about Christianity in general:
1. Burnning people at the stake was done in the name of Christ.
2. The Spanish Inquisition in which people were brutally tortured until the admitted to a sin they may or may not have committed and then were put to death for said sin was done in the name of Christ.
3. Adolf Hitler used Christiantiy as an excuse for his actions.
4. Most of the KKK in the 50's and 60's were good God fearing Christians.

So how about you step off your soap box and realize that being a "Christian" doesn't make you any better or any worse than anyone else on the planet. Religious bigotry is the cause for more global conflict than anything else in the world. And you certainly sound like another American Religious Bigot. e.g. You're American, You're Christian and that automatically makes you RIGHT.
Why don't you read the thread first, and then make comments?

1 Rubbish.. Burning people was because of other reasons many times! It was the reason why in the Netherlands people could find a refuge. And because of that The Netherlands became rich, and gathered knowledge.. How come? :D
2 I stated before, that it is a fact that the Inquisition replaced an even more cruel way of accusing people.
3 AH was a scrupulous idiot that didn't give a shit about Christianity. He used it if he liked it. The same way Saddam Hussein used Islam whenever he felt like it!
4 The KKK are idiots anyway, and don't understand shit about Christianity.

And come off your high horse yourself...
A name like "übershitty" reminds me of something in the Third Reich.. :D
 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
63
142
#16
RedOctober said:
Why don't you read the thread first, and then make comments?

1 Rubbish.. Burning people was because of other reasons many times! It was the reason why in the Netherlands people could find a refuge. And because of that The Netherlands became rich, and gathered knowledge.. How come? :D
2 I stated before, that it is a fact that the Inquisition replaced an even more cruel way of accusing people.
3 AH was a scrupulous idiot that didn't give a shit about Christianity. He used it if he liked it. The same way Saddam Hussein used Islam whenever he felt like it!
4 The KKK are idiots anyway, and don't understand shit about Christianity.

And come off your high horse yourself...
A name like "übershitty" reminds me of something in the Third Reich.. :D
UberShitty... now that's creative. I like that.

My point wasn't that Christianity or Catholics are bad. Just that Christians don't have a lock on morality or good behavior. There have been many instances of Christianity being used as a justification for horrific behavior in the past.

I did read the entire thread and responded dirrectly to one post in which the author tried to blaim other religions for the world's problems instead of accepting that all religions are flawed. Including his.
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#17
UberSkippy said:
UberShitty... now that's creative. I like that.

My point wasn't that Christianity or Catholics are bad. Just that Christians don't have a lock on morality or good behavior. There have been many instances of Christianity being used as a justification for horrific behavior in the past.

I did read the entire thread and responded dirrectly to one post in which the author tried to blaim other religions for the world's problems instead of accepting that all religions are flawed. Including his.
Well.. It was because I already made a statement on points 1 and 2 earlier on. The trials in Europe about witchcraft and heresy weren't all that simple as the propaganda of those days would like you to believe..
In The Netherlands we're part catholic and protestant, and nobody throws shit in each others face.
That's because history at school is still on a good level.
We know we both did things wrong.

And to tell the truth.. In the time of the crusades, the Christian soldiers mostly were the first assholes to think of a new form or barbarism, not the muslims!
What to think of the noble Richard Lionheart, who gave the command to have some 3000 muslim prisoners of war killed to put pressure on his enemies?
Oh what a brave and heroic man he was!