WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The desperation of the now now generation

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I feel for the kids, I really do. Cell phones and IM are making a mockery of modern man, especially for the younger crowd. It seems like people are losing their ability to hold a thought. If they have a thought about anything, they have to call or IM someone right that fucking second. Because we all know it cannot wait. The hustle and bustle of life seems to have been sped up to superhuman levels. I've literally seen a girl on her laptop, IMing and Chatting on multiple screens, with a cell phone in her hand. She could not possibly communicate fast enough.

My daughter doesn't have a cell phone, and even up here in bum fuck nowhere USA, she's taking shit at high school for it. People look at me like I'm crazy for not having a cell phone, because they have to reach you right fucking now, every second of every day. Many people say they feel naked without a cell phone.

What's my point? Well here's some problems I see associated with this behavior.

1. Car Wrecks and cell phones, 'nuff said.

2. People are getting more and more needy. They NEED to be in constant contact with everyone they know, or they feel out of touch.

3. People's patience level is going to epic shitty levels, they want it NOW!

4. People can't seem to hold one thought for any length of time. They fire and forget conversations. They can't discuss anything at length because they get bored too easily.

5. Wasting time. Jesus, some of the girls here at work are crazy. They IM the computer, use the cell phone, and if lord help them the cell or computer is not working, the regular phone is off the hook! This is at work for christs sake!

I see no good coming of this faster and faster communication. It seems to have an inverse effect on the quality of thought and conversation.

What do you all think?

As with any technology, the internet and other forms of rapid communication and bound to be abused and overused. At the same time, though, large businesses are more integrated due to the technologies. Whether this is a good or bad thing, is left up to you to decide.

Regarding car wrecks, I've already made my opinions known on that matter.

JLXC

Premium
DanGeo23 said:
Car Wrecks and coffee... make-up...
Not to de-rail my own thread, but this is true and not. Any distraction is bad while driving, we all know this. The allure and number of cell phones, and their special ability to distract are far and above the norm IMO. Also, people drink their coffee and it's done. They stupidly put on their make up but get done. Cell phones NEVER end. They can be distracting you from point to point every single drive you take.

JLXC said:
Also, people drink their coffee and it's done. They stupidly put on their make up but get done. Cell phones NEVER end. They can be distracting you from point to point every single drive you take.
Car crashes are mostly caused from drunk driving. if people don't want to die from talking on cell phones, which most of them don't, just turn them off. It's there choice. Also, the rule of driving while talking on your cell has been enforced already. It has in Chicago, but i don't know about everywhere else. You get a ticket and if you keep on doing it, you get arrested.

icka

fuckoffanddiekthx!
ase21ilander said:
Car crashes are mostly caused from drunk driving. if people don't want to die from talking on cell phones, which most of them don't, just turn them off. It's there choice. Also, the rule of driving while talking on your cell has been enforced already. It has in Chicago, but i don't know about everywhere else. You get a ticket and if you keep on doing it, you get arrested.
new york you get tickets. never heard of anybody being arrested over it.

I've never owned a cell phone.

I don't plan on ever owning a cell phone.

If people want to reach me while I'm out (which is rare :happysad: ), tough luck.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
I feel for the kids, I really do. Cell phones and IM are making a mockery of modern man, especially for the younger crowd.
How does an inanimate object mock you or the "modern man?" Do you somehow feel inferior, or what? I'm just failing to see your logic here.

It seems like people are losing their ability to hold a thought. If they have a thought about anything, they have to call or IM someone right that fucking second. Because we all know it cannot wait.
How does the ability to stay connected with friends negate thought process? Are you really scared by immediate gratification? Is it really so bad that communication is so easy?

The hustle and bustle of life seems to have been sped up to superhuman levels.
  1. Stop posting about it on the internet
  2. Move to the country
  3. Become a hermit
  4. Profit?
I've literally seen a girl on her laptop, IMing and Chatting on multiple screens, with a cell phone in her hand. She could not possibly communicate fast enough.
And for some reason you just can't stand that, right? :confused:

My daughter doesn't have a cell phone, and even up here in bum fuck nowhere USA, she's taking shit at high school for it. People look at me like I'm crazy for not having a cell phone, because they have to reach you right fucking now, every second of every day. Many people say they feel naked without a cell phone.
Kids will get picked on for a wide array of things, as a parent you can't change that. It's life. If it wasn't a cell phone it'd be a designer shirt or shoes. Who cares? It's called childhood.

I hate my cell phone at times, and leave it off/screen calls quite a bit. My day to day life would be a lot less convenient if I didn't have one though. I just realize that with new technologies comes some down sides. That's why cell phones have an off button though.

My job and life require that I own a cell phone. So why do you care? I don't care that you choose to not own one. Furthermore, I'm not making posts about it on the internet.
1. Car Wrecks and cell phones, 'nuff said.
Until you can make people quit putting on their make up, shaving, spanking their kids and driving while intoxicated, then your point is both asinine and moot.

It's also been proven that cell phones (with a hands free kit) aren't any more distracting than listening to the radio or talking to another passenger.

So how about you rip out your radio and passenger seats, then come back and try to make that point?
2. People are getting more and more needy. They NEED to be in constant contact with everyone they know, or they feel out of touch.
And? If you'd rather be a fucking hermit, nobody is stopping you. Just don't be all pissy and bitchy about it.

3. People's patience level is going to epic shitty levels, they want it NOW!
People have never been patient. It's human nature to want instant gratification. How about you blame people for their shortcomings, not the technology?

4. People can't seem to hold one thought for any length of time. They fire and forget conversations. They can't discuss anything at length because they get bored too easily.
Wow, I'm sure that's not a generalization or anything.
5. Wasting time. Jesus, some of the girls here at work are crazy. They IM the computer, use the cell phone, and if lord help them the cell or computer is not working, the regular phone is off the hook! This is at work for christs sake!
OMG!!!111 A worker wasted some time. OH no!! Again, stop blaming technology for people's shortcomings. People have always wasted time at work, with each new era they're only provided with news means to do so. Nothing has changed. It was gameboys, now it's cell phones. Who gives a fuck?

I see no good coming of this faster and faster communication.
Luckily for the rest of the free world your opinion is the minority. I sure don't want to regress just because some old guy can't keep up with the newest technology.
It seems to have an inverse effect on the quality of thought and conversation.
What do you all think?
I think you're a dinosaur who is set in his ways. Now all these "new fangled technologies" confuse and irritate you, so you're being pissy about it. I think that this has led you to throw your usually good logic out the windows in favor of generalizations and cruft about how evil technology is. Woe is JLXC!

You can't blame technology for people's stupidity. People will be stupid and abuse anything. Embrace technology and take it for what it is.

It sounds like you’ve spent a good bit of time brewing over this, but has it accomplished?

Descent

Hella Constipated
I think it's good. But net slang is BAAAAAD.

I think the point JLXC is trying to make is not that he hates technology, but that he hates the mentality it inspires.

Jung

???
Premium
canadian_pov said:
I think the point JLXC is trying to make is not that he hates technology, but that he hates the mentality it inspires.
Yeah, I got that, and I was probably a bit harsh... My point is, blame people for allowing the technology to change them, not the technology itslef. Or maybe I'm way off base here... :eek:

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
JLXC,

does art imitate life or vice versa? which came first, the need for americans to grasp the upper hand in competition for global supremacy or the short attention span of americas youth? the state of our country and it's competitive nature has bound us to resort to inhumane levels of efficiency. americas youth embraces super human speed because it's customary- not the other way around.

today's youth is challenged by many things; our experiences are not limited to stresses caused by a slow world where we can bide our time. instead today we deal with many smaller, and in my op, more formidable questions where it is required of us to respond in a timely, instantaneous, resolute manner, that is both definite and unwavering. we do not have the luxury of time delay, nor second thought, muchless ignorance and happenstance like that of prior generations modus operandi.

i feel the majority of your disappointment stems from inadequate responses and abrupt TL;DR's that your threads/posts receive overall. perhaps, you ought to remember this is not real life, the great majority of posters here come to enjoy themselves. your attempt to engage others in meaningful conversation would be better served if you learned to adjust or otherwise find another forum in which to debate.

it is in this generation you will realize the refinement of a quality, one arguably as difficult to cultivate as patience but obviously less treasured by your generation called adaptability. in your harsh assessment of todays youth you seem to discount self-discipline as well. with so much demand on what is bound to be a long road ahead, you fail to understand not only are we are ready for the challenges but their sheer enormity will not stave off our ambition to thrive. this, i doubt would've been the same response prior generations could've mustered growing up brainwashed by "leave it to beaver", "mork and mindy", and NASAs grand achievement of landing on the moon.

obviously, i am offended. you take many things for granted. the first and foremost being the respect of your fellow man. we are strangers held captive by your unimaginative, less than pessimistic POVs. you should be ashamed of your embarressment of americas youth, your opinion of our future and your judgemental ways- highly discouraging. (not encouraging: a quality your generation is infamoulsy devoid of, yes, ah a generalization...now where was my thread about it? oh that's right, i don't have one because although it's true, you don't see me bitching about it!)

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
gurlgonewild said:
does art imitate life or vice versa? which came first, the need for americans to grasp the upper hand in competition for global supremacy or the short attention span of americas youth?
Art imitates life, and the need for Americans to grasp the upper hand in competition for global supremacy came first. :happysad:

star99ers

One of a kind
I don't have a cell phone. For kids, I think they are sort of a waste of money. If someone phone's and I'm not home, too bad. If I want to give someone a call, I go to a payphone. I don't like how one of my friends with a cell phone will get a call from his parents like 3 times if we go somewhere. I think they're more suited for people who need them for jobs.

Explain to me why kids having a cell phone is bad because I got one as soon as I was twelve and when your referring to kids I think you mean girls because they use it more than we do. Parents just give it to kids because they want to be able to reach them in times of need or the kids wielding the cell phone can call for help when there in trouble. That's not allways the case, but i see a cell phone as a safety precaution that is needed in life because kids or adults like us always get out the house. Anyhow, for those who don't have cell phones, start praying because your parents are going to get pissed off one day from having a hard time reaching you and next thing you know your going to get a cell phone on Christmas, Birthday, Hanukkah, ect. whatever you guys celebrate.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
You know, I see were JLXC is coming from. Cellular phones have been adopted into society at an amazing speed along with the internet. Both have changed the way we communicate. At the same time, I think too much of societies problems are being attributed to this change in the communication paradigm.

Throughout history, as technology has advanced society has changed. In this case technology has advanced VERY quickly which causes society to change very quickly. In the past, technology changed slower which allowed society to filter through the good and negative qualities of the changes and deal. Now we just take the change and move on...

Instant communication can be gratifying. But it is part of a larger problem of the "NOW" generation. Kids, and adults alike are bombarded with advertising messages designed to spark instand and immediate desire. But that started with the invention of the radio. It's far easier to se the effects in today's culture but it really is nothing new.

As far as my cellphone (which I haven't lost yet Gurl) goes, I have it for MY convenience. My family gets upset when I don't answer it and I simply remind them that is why I have voice mail. My phone is not so I will always be reachable by them but rather that I will always be able to make a call when I want too.

Should children or school aged kids be given cellular phones? For emergencies and calling home sure. For anything else it's just plain stupid. But as long as they can act like normal human being with them I don't really care. And that really goes for adults too.

billybob13 said:
http://www.ranting-gryphon.com/Rants/2rant-technology.mp3

for THE LOVE OF GOD listen to this!

Technology isnever going to slow down, it will continue, and no matter what you do to try to stop it, it will never "go back" to the "good ol days" my advice, get used to it.
Good one, lets talk street. That shat is fucking hot yo!! Did i spell shat right are is it just shit, I haven't talk slang in a while.

JLXC

Premium
I knew some of you would be pissed, it's amazing the depth of thought put in on both sides though, kudos to you all. Second, I based much of my point on conversations with HS age kids and college kids, my main hang out groups. So although I am an old guy, the kids are saying this as well, at least the few dozen I know.

Some of you may disagree, and some of you mistake me for a technophobe, which is hilarious. If the generalizations fits you, you are probably the kind of person I'm talking about. The technology encourages this sort of behavior, and it's working in spades. Call the Cell Phone an Enabler. Sure it's not responsible, but it certainly helps about a million percent.

To gurlgonewild I don't feel in any way that the majority of my posts are ignored, funny that you do. I don't belong to any generation for the record lady, I am my own person. I adapt and change, I listen to both old and new music, see old and new movies, hang out with the old and the teens. My perspective is more general than any simple box.

I see the desperation even when you do not. The need for constant attention so enabled by the new technology that people seem addicted to it. Without it they get anxious and upset. They expect everyone to think like they do, a common thing apparently, and they expect you to accept it without reservation. Well I accept it, and I have reservations. Many people on the board here seem to think that Text messaging is harming people's ability to spell, I'm doing the same thing but with Cells and IM. Instead of spelling it's attention span and neediness that I'm talking about.

I do not call for a stop to cells or IM. The cat is out of the bag. I just might see some things a bit more clearly than some of the posters here, and if you don't like it, I'm sorry. The truth will out.

It just makes me sad to see some person desperate for constant contact with everyone they know because it tends to point to a lack of self.

It's funny my empathy for my fellow man gets turned into some kind of weapon against my arguments.

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
Second, I based much of my point on conversations with HS age kids and college kids, my main hang out groups. So although I am an old guy, the kids are saying this as well, at least the few dozen I know.
I'd venture to say that this is your problem. High school kids are generally clueless, and still trying to fit in/figure out who they are, that goes double for a lot of college kids. Furthermore, those are often the target market for cell phones, video games and other forms of 'instant' communication. I think you're just seeing the difference in generations.

I'm sure you'll say something like you 'adapt' or something, but I'd be willing to bet that this is your lack of adaptation showing itself.

Furthermore, what kind of 36 year old hangs out with high school kids? :confused:
Some of you may disagree, and some of you mistake me for a technophobe, which is hilarious. If the generalizations fits you, you are probably the kind of person I'm talking about. The technology encourages this sort of behavior, and it's working in spades. Call the Cell Phone an Enabler. Sure it's not responsible, but it certainly helps about a million percent.
I don't think you're a 'technophobe,' per se, I just think you're placing the blame in the wrong places.

A cell phone has never made anyone act a certain way, it's a fucking inanimate object. People act differently to fit in, not because of the technology. Technology is just the new designer jeans of today. It's a socialite issue, not a technological one.

I just think a more appropriate approach would've been "why does this generation act so ridiculously in the presence of new technology?"
I see the desperation even when you do not. The need for constant attention so enabled by the new technology that people seem addicted to it.
Without it they get anxious and upset. They expect everyone to think like they do, a common thing apparently, and they expect you to accept it without reservation. Well I accept it, and I have reservations.
Many people on the board here seem to think that Text messaging is harming people's ability to spell, I'm doing the same thing but with Cells and IM. Instead of spelling it's attention span and neediness that I'm talking about.
I think stupid people will act stupid no matter where they are or what they're doing. Believe me, I use IM speak in text messages, because phone keyboards are ridiculously user-unfriendly. However, I know where to separate the IM speak. I wouldn't post it on a forum, in an email or in chat, unless I'm doing it in a tongue-in-cheek fashion.

The younger kids just think it's cool because they see their peers doing it. That's why I have no qualms about people flaming members for their use of that crap on forums. It doesn't belong here. And they could probably use a hint that people generally find it annoying.
I just might see some things a bit more clearly than some of the posters here, and if you don't like it, I'm sorry. The truth will out.
So your opinion is somehow better than ours? Or you somehow see things with more clarity than us? That's both arrogant and absurd.

If you can "see" things with more clarity than use, then why not explain it to use simpletons? Maybe you would care to try proving your opinion or something else equally asinine.
It just makes me sad to see some person desperate for constant contact with everyone they know because it tends to point to a lack of self.
Who says they're desperate? Are you just guessing that because they stay in touch with their friends that they're desperate? Again, I seriously fail to see you logic on that one... if you could even call that logic.
It's funny my empathy for my fellow man gets turned into some kind of weapon against my arguments.
No, it's just obvious that not everyone thinks the same way as you. I'm sorry if you consider opposing opinions as 'weapons against you' though... Maybe you take the opinions of strangers on the internet a bit too seriously? People are only reacting because of the inane way you've presented your case in this thread.