WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The education system was designed to keep us uneducatied and docile

morelos

lexicon incognito
who ever would have thought.

i haven't read anything but the title. it just makes me think of the 'qwerty' key layout.

~ dan ~

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Interesting...but all institutions want to preserve order, schools are no different.

It doesn't mean you can't develop a healthy skepticism, and a will to question authority.

If you are a sheep, you will always be a sheep, no matter where you are educated...

Yukmonkey

Fresh Meat
I dont know that I would say it was designed to keep us uneducated and docile...i just think they didnt know of any better way to set it up...

Like most other things that are government set up and operated, they are very generic and cookie cutter to try to meet the needs of the masses...or the perceived needs of the masses...

Pachyderm

I really did.
The government does not make money by making perfect institutions. By keeping some schools in the dust, it's another form of supression; Keeping the "lower" people quiet and uneducated reduces the chance of a rebellion. Like Farhenheit 451, the fewer books one reads the less creative they will be come, and lesser ideas against the government will be produced. Also, well educated people don't choose to do "low man on the todem pole jobs," I believe that these are also some of the reasons for poor school/educating systems.
Making education institutions (lower years, public schools) less than perfect is a form of burning books and young minds. Yet another example of the government cheating us.

morelos

lexicon incognito
vor said:
Interesting...but all institutions want to preserve order, schools are no different.

It doesn't mean you can't develop a healthy skepticism, and a will to question authority.

If you are a sheep, you will always be a sheep, no matter where you are educated...
of course all institutions want to preserve order.

an institution imposed by the wealthy elite wants to preserve the order of socioeconomic classes.

stop and think about that.

now, continuing, we've been doing nothing for the past 50 years but trying to FIX this in my field.

~ dan ~

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
Ok, I read through that article and I have to say it's a bunch of horse shit. Sure, many people try to set up the educational system the way the author explains it, however many people are also trying to do exactly what the "protagonist" of the "story" has supposedly done. They act like this is the only decent teacher in the entire country. Bullshit, I personally know a lot of teachers that try and do exactly what this article talks about. The main complaints that this article makes are based on untrue claims about our current Teacher Education programs in the US. It basically just says word for word to do exactly what your first teaching credential teacher will tell you to do and that is just fucking common sense in the first place. You know why teachers really keep with this conforming system? Because they dont' get paid shit, so many of them become jaded. Because the beauracracy set up in the educational system puts people with bachelor's degrees in non-education fields as bosses of these professional educators and they run it like it's a business and the children are just the products they are trying to manufacture. I could go on for a coupel of pages, but I'm sure most of you don't really want to read it. Bottom line is, that link's bullshit through and through. It does make a point about WHAT the educational system currently is, but they WHY's are WAY FUCKING OFF BASE.

morelos

lexicon incognito
it discussess 100+ year old material, skitch.

none of my credential teachers have said a word of that other than, "tracking? haahahaha"

anyway, read a current book by harvey silver, harry wong, anita woolfolk...
lev vygotsky, jean piaget, erik erikson, abraham maslow.. dead people who knew better..

gah

Pachyderm

I really did.
I thought you didn't read Dan. I am beginning to feel used.

morelos

lexicon incognito
pachyderm said:
I thought you didn't read Dan. I am beginning to feel used.
lol; a tiny article on the web is different from a novel!

~ dan ~

Descent

Hella Constipated
As a student myself, I can say this is very true...hopefully it will be better for my kids.

They all wonder why we hate school...it's because they do a poor job running it. I have gotten into fights with my administrators numerous times, I hate them to hell, each and every one of them.

morelos

lexicon incognito
jstager said:
As a student myself, I can say this is very true...hopefully it will be better for my kids.
it will, i can promise you that; i can't promise you it will be better ENOUGH, though.

They all wonder why we hate school...it's because they do a poor job running it. I have gotten into fights with my administrators numerous times, I hate them to hell, each and every one of them.
well, alienating yourself will not help you be reached by your teachers any more than it will help your teachers reach you.

~ dan ~

Descent

Hella Constipated
well, alienating yourself will not help you be reached by your teachers any more than it will help your teachers reach you
How is that alienating myself?

Now that I am in high school, I no longer fight with my administrators. I hate them, but having them on your side is just too cool. They will do anything you please.

Man, I am such a control freak.

wiseman

"angry"scientist
holy crap that thing was long... i read like 2 lines and gave up, but it looked like it would be informative. :thumbsup:

Pachyderm

I really did.
When I was in school all the teacher and security guards knew me because I would always talk with them and joke around, so whenever they saw me out of class or somewhere else, they wouldn't come up to me or bother me at all. Maybe they thought I was doing something responsible for my class or maybe they thought they'd give me a break, I don't know, but it worked.
My Senior year, they were in the midst of rebuilding our school, so if you fell in a hole, it would be understandable that you were late. The school was totally stripped of everything and I was a senior so I would never see it finished. Bummer
Also in school, I used to play Varsity Softball, but I had a terrible coach (who got fired at the end of the season) that over worked me at practice, and if I told him something on my body hurt, he's say I was just complaining and work me harder. I tor my rotator cuff that year, and was out the rest of the season. The second year I was on the team I was battling depression and of course I had to go to a doctor for that so the new coach (in front of the team) would tell me to see my head doctor or tell me I need a therapist or what ever. He told girls they were too fat to be on his team, so they might as well not try out, he made an example out of my friend (who was a team mate last season) to the new girls as a wrecked lifestyle. She had gotten pregnant and wasn't allowed to play any longer.
I hated my highschool so much because I was going to go to school for sports and it ruined all my chances. So I went on independent studies (as I have mentioned a lot on here) and graduated with 97 people in my class that I never saw.

morelos

lexicon incognito
jstager said:
How is that alienating myself?
perpetuating the attitude that "i hate them; they are the enemy" is alienating yourself. it's gonna leave you ended before you start.

~ dan ~

Skitch0o0

Put it in MY butt...
morelos said:
perpetuating the attitude that "i hate them; they are the enemy" is alienating yourself. it's gonna leave you ended before you start.

~ dan ~
It kind of reminds me of people who bitch about being ignorant and say that it's because their teachers never taught them anything. No, that just means you had shitty teachers AND you're an idiot. Just because you have bad teachers doesn't mean you can't teach yourself anything. Not only that, I learned lots from my bad teachers too. Just happens that a lot of it was me learning what NOT to do when I teach.

morelos

lexicon incognito
skitch said:
It kind of reminds me of people who bitch about being ignorant and say that it's because their teachers never taught them anything. No, that just means you had shitty teachers AND you're an idiot. Just because you have bad teachers doesn't mean you can't teach yourself anything. Not only that, I learned lots from my bad teachers too. Just happens that a lot of it was me learning what NOT to do when I teach.
while i'll give you some agreement, i can't give you full agreement; it's been my experience (both first- and second-hand) that some teachers just team better with some students and classrooms (and institutions, for that matter). when the best of all occur, this weird synergistic sort of thing happens and re-coins the term 'collective effervescence.'

the "i hate my teachers they don't teach a thing" attitude is a crappy one to walk into the classroom with on the first day, and it's also the one i'm most fearful of encountering two weeks from tuesday when i have my first day of teaching at this new school.

~ dan ~

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
You'll have to tell us all how that goes (your first day).

I can say, schools are sub par in the U.S. We spend more money per child than any other nation, but we do worse every year. I'm not sure why, but I think its got something to do with the vastly apathetic teachers, and having more children to educate (we can spend more money on them, but the fact is we have more children per teacher than other nations). We just have an overload.

The solution? I'd say that the best way would be to dump even more money in to the school system, but rather than spending it on books, computers, and the like, we spend it on teachers (increase their wages, and increase their numbers).

Of course, I'm just a student... I haven't much of a clue what goes on when I'm not around.

Pachyderm

I really did.
Well being a student I don't really blame any of my teachers except for a few out of the 25 or so I have had in high school. I am really competitive in sports and in school when I wanted to be and I am a very ambitious person. Pretty much my parents tought me that my success would result from my effort. So I am incredibly hard on myself and always striving for a new goal. My rationality of the classroom was basically "There's 40 dumb fucks here and I am going to beat them all."
Basically what I am trying to say is that it's not just the teachers who are doing poorly, it's the students desire to accomplish something, and the parents lack of teaching their children these things. I am my own fault, and I am my own accomplishment.