WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The FBI is Retarded: 60,000 Pirated NES Consoles Seized - Undercover Ops Involved

Descent

Hella Constipated
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=7948

FiringSquad said:
Piracy goes back in time

/images/misc_PirateFlag.jpgEllie Gibson 15:09 14/04/2005 New York police seize more than 60,000 bootleg NES consoles

A huge haul of pirate games consoles has been seized during raids in New York and New Jersey, according to local prosecutors.

More than 60,000 bootleg Nintendo Entertainment Systems were seized, along with pirate games including Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt. The original NES launched in the US back in 1985. -Descent says: LOL.

Four people were arrested after FBI agents posed as buyers, telling the defendants they planned to distribute the fake products throughout Manhattan and the Midwest.

A criminal complaint filed as part of the case claims that the defendants imported more than 280,000 illegal games consoles into the US between September and December 2004.

The complaint also says Nintendo told the FBI that piracy costs the company millions in lost revenue each year. -Descent says: Bullshit - You Have Asian Companies Making Higher Quality NES Consoles Than You. I'd buy an official one but blinking gray screen is not my favorite game of all time.

What...the...fuck...

20 year old old computers?! So the FBI wasted our fucking tax dollars ON BOOTLEGS OF TWENTY YEAR OLD PRODUCTS?!

For shame. The U.S.A. has gone bonkers.

My stance on this is that the pirates probobly worked better than official ones anyway. Does your NES still work? If it does, it's probobly kept in a vaccum sealed glasss chamber in the Smithsonian. I'm personally buying a pirate because official ones can't even take a hint of dust.

That money could have been used for voting reform or new police equipment - but instead we wasted it on bootleg items that aren't even manufactured anymore.

This is the dumbest waste of tax dollars I've seen to date - nothing useful came out of this "bust."

Discuss.

Slacker

Postaholic
Damn FBi what a waste just some video games and old fucking computers there goes more money down the drain it is hard as it is for me to survive in this world then the fbi goes and makes it harder!.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Linksy said:
Damn FBi what a waste just some video games and old fucking computers there goes more money down the drain it is hard as it is for me to survive in this world then the fbi goes and makes it harder!.
I could understand if they were bootleg GameCubes - but bootleg NES consoles? Come the fuck on!

It's not even like Nintendo is losing any revenue on that shit.

bombchu

b-o-n-e-r
True.

I still want one.

If I were in this position, and I had the chance to get a working NES...
Holey shit I would jump at that.

Zoso

Zappafied
well ive had mine for about 18 years and it has worked fine since i got it. NES rocks! most of you haters are too young to behold the essense and emmense awesomeness that is the regular Nintendo Entertainment System.

Zoso

Zappafied
yeah i know what u are sayin.... ebay can be that way. ive got a place here called Gamerz Dream. its a little store where they make a huge effort to get their hands on Ataris, NES, Super NES, and you can get anything there. ive got one of those classic game boys from there, a gamegear, and even a Game Genie for my NES. they gaurantee all their stuff too... i have bought alot of stuff from ebay and i have not been let down yet. even if u take the chance you dont have much to lose cuz they dont cost that much.... just go into it knowing that.

star99ers

One of a kind
My parents gave ours away when I was young because it kept freezing. We had a SNES anyway but I still missed it, and thinking about it know I still do. :(

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
What...the...fuck...

20 year old old computers?! So the FBI wasted our fucking tax dollars ON BOOTLEGS OF TWENTY YEAR OLD PRODUCTS?!

For shame. The U.S.A. has gone bonkers.

My stance on this is that the pirates probobly worked better than official ones anyway. Does your NES still work? If it does, it's probobly kept in a vaccum sealed glasss chamber in the Smithsonian. I'm personally buying a pirate because official ones can't even take a hint of dust.

That money could have been used for voting reform or new police equipment - but instead we wasted it on bootleg items that aren't even manufactured anymore.
Yes, beause the FBI frequently uses it's budget for voting reform. The also like to buy puppies for kids.

So let me understand this. In your world it's ok to break the law as long as it's not really an important one? Is that what you're saying? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

And who the fuck pirates a 20 year old system? That's the stupid part.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Yes, beause the FBI frequently uses it's budget for voting reform. The also like to buy puppies for kids.

So let me understand this. In your world it's ok to break the law as long as it's not really an important one? Is that what you're saying? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

And who the fuck pirates a 20 year old system? That's the stupid part.
It's still highly profitable.

Who cares if a law was broken? You missed the point that it's a waste of tax dollars to persue that. Go after the real shit, not some Asian hoodlums making new-fangled NES consoles in their basements.

And for all of you looking for WORKING NES consoles, search ebay for "Neo Fami" "Neo FC" or "Family Boy." The Neo Fami/FC and the Family Boy are rugged Asian Famiclones (Famicom=Japanese NES) that accept US titles out of the box and don't break down. They are top loading and about the size of an older portable CD player or a Genesis 3. The Family Boy supports any controller with a 9-Pin serial connector - so everything from Atari Joysticks to the Sega Menacer will work on it. It's also stylish and has a GREAT quality composite A/V output.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
It's still highly profitable.

Who cares if a law was broken? You missed the point that it's a waste of tax dollars to persue that. Go after the real shit, not some Asian hoodlums making new-fangled NES consoles in their basements.
Besides the obvious contradiction there you're forgetting that in cases of such large acts of piracy the guys involved aren't your simple pimple faced teenagers. It's organized crime and is still punishable under the RICCO statutes.

Enforcing laws is never a waste of tax payer dollars. It's like speeding. 36 in a 35 or 115 in a 35 is still speeding. One certainly carries more weight but that single mile over is still illegal.

The waste here was that these idiots were pirating NES consoles. If they're gonna get hammered on RICCO stuff they should have at least gone for PS2's or XBox consoles.

Sektor

Particinator
36 in a 35
Haha, well I haven't met one cop yet who would stop you for going 36 in a 35 zone.

As for the NES pirating guys... well, are they shooting or harming anyone to get hold of those systems? Are they making Nintendo lose money because they're pirating 20-year-old systems that Nintendo doesn't even make or sell anymore? If anything, Nintendo should be flattered that someone is even making the effort to preserve their old games and give others the chance to play them.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Sektor said:
Haha, well I haven't met one cop yet who would stop you for going 36 in a 35 zone.
Probably not. Doesn't mean it's not illegal. ;)

Sektor said:
As for the NES pirating guys... well, are they shooting or harming anyone to get hold of those systems? Are they making Nintendo lose money because they're pirating 20-year-old systems that Nintendo doesn't even make or sell anymore? If anything, Nintendo should be flattered that someone is even making the effort to preserve their old games and give others the chance to play them.
You never know what these guys are going to do. Today it's NES. Tomorrow it's dope. Next week it's children. It's organized crime. Some of it seems pretty benign like this. But deep down it's still not OK.

And yeah, Nintendo should be flattered.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Probably not. Doesn't mean it's not illegal. ;)

You never know what these guys are going to do. Today it's NES. Tomorrow it's dope. Next week it's children. It's organized crime. Some of it seems pretty benign like this. But deep down it's still not OK.

And yeah, Nintendo should be flattered.
Actually electronics pirates really only do that - pirate electronics. Their facilities are established and can be upgraded to create newer electronics if needed.

It's also much safer than drugs. All those bootlegs are usually made in China or Taiwan, then imported.

FBI = noobs.

Sure, it's wrong. But who the fuck cares?

A 20 year old system has been boot-legged! Woopedy doo! If any of those FBI bastards are gamers, then they would realize how badass that would be to the people who have been looking to buy an NES.

It's better than going out and buying a dub sack, correct? I say let it go, but it's too late for that, and I don't run the FBI.

Just my :twocents:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
Actually electronics pirates really only do that - pirate electronics. Their facilities are established and can be upgraded to create newer electronics if needed.

It's also much safer than drugs. All those bootlegs are usually made in China or Taiwan, then imported.
No, what you're not getting is that electronic piracy and other more violent crime is linked. The actual drug dealers and the actual electronic piracy guys might be two different people, but they work for the same person.

It doesn't matter if the bootlegs are made in China or in Finland. The storry is still the same. To make electronic knock-offs at this scale requires financing. And your local bank isn't going to pop up with the $$ to do it.

And regardless, it's still ilegal. The FBI doesn't get to cherry pick which laws it enforces.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
No, what you're not getting is that electronic piracy and other more violent crime is linked. The actual drug dealers and the actual electronic piracy guys might be two different people, but they work for the same person.

It doesn't matter if the bootlegs are made in China or in Finland. The storry is still the same. To make electronic knock-offs at this scale requires financing. And your local bank isn't going to pop up with the $$ to do it.

And regardless, it's still ilegal. The FBI doesn't get to cherry pick which laws it enforces.
True, but you're still missing my point. The electronics bootlegging industry in Asia isn't made up of gangs, but rather companies with thier own facilities for manufacturing products. And also, when you get a loan, who on Earth would say "I need it for creating pirated hardware and software?"

On top of that, it's just like I said - China has no laws against creating bootlegs, becase they say openly it creates jobs. However, selling them is illegal - but they don't crack down enough on that. Usually if a store is caught selling bootlegs the owner has his goods confiscated and his business shut down - only to reopen. It can be done under the same store name, but usually it's done under a new name - and the Chinese government doesn't really care about that.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
True, but you're still missing my point. The electronics bootlegging industry in Asia isn't made up of gangs, but rather companies with thier own facilities for manufacturing products. And also, when you get a loan, who on Earth would say "I need it for creating pirated hardware and software?"

On top of that, it's just like I said - China has no laws against creating bootlegs, becase they say openly it creates jobs. However, selling them is illegal - but they don't crack down enough on that. Usually if a store is caught selling bootlegs the owner has his goods confiscated and his business shut down - only to reopen. It can be done under the same store name, but usually it's done under a new name - and the Chinese government doesn't really care about that.
The triads are extremely sophisticated and are involved in a variety of activities, all of which are very lucrative. These include: drug trafficking; money laundering; corruption; computer software piracy; credit card forgery and fraud; counterfeit currency and identification operations; and migrant smuggling. They will often provide direction to Chinese gangs in exchange for the "muscle" needed in some triad operations.

From Click me

The Chinese gangs are best known for trafficking in heroin and opium, but they are in fact as diversified as the biggest multinational conglomerate. Among their other activities are arms smuggling, credit-card fraud, counterfeiting, software piracy, prostitution, gambling, loansharking, white-collar crime, home-invasion robbery, high-tech theft and trafficking in endangered animals and plants.

From Clik me

Simple facts of the matter: Organized piracy groups are associated with organized crime. Organized crime is associated with violent crime.

ALL criminals are criminals.