WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The G.A.M.E. Campaign

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
This is a sweet little post my buddy Cannibal-Snowman has posted at PSO-World.com. Thought you might like it, because I found it genuinely funny. :)

==================================​

This morning, I read an article about a man named Jack Thompson. Jack here is a lawyer (aka Evil Person) who is trying to bring down Rockstar (makers of GTA and Manhunt). He says that kids play violent video games so that they can "practice killing." Well, it turns out that Mr. Thompson has a website in which he gives out his e-mail address. So, I decided to stop by Mr. Jack's site and drop him an e-mail. This is my e-mail:

I don't know if this e-mail will go directly to Jack Thompson, but I want him to read this.

I am an avid video gamer. I've been playing video games for almost 8 years. I have played almost every type of game out there. Some of those games that I've played are violent. These are the violent video games that I have owned/played:

Doom
Contra
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire
Resident Evil
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Halo
Full Spectrum Warrior
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

So, as you can see, I've played some of the most violent games out there. That's not even the full list. I've played more, but I can't remember them (It was either that played it a very long time ago, or I that only played it once). I would also like to point out that of all of those games, I own three of them (Goldeneye, Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire, and Halo). I have been playing these violent games (along with some non-violent games) for 8 years, and I have never gotten the urge to hurt another human being after playing one of them. Why is that? It is because I know that the things we see in these games are not real. I know some of you are probably thinking, "But Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt are real!? They're not, if you think about it. A man cannot walk through a city wielding a huge arsenal of weapons, killing everything he sees (Grand Theft Auto). In real life, the second you fired a bullet, you would have every single cop in the city trying to take you down. The concept behind Manhunt isn't real, either. A man hires you to kill people in the most gruesome ways ever imagined? It could be a movie, but the whole plot is still in no way realistic. Now, I know there are some games out there that are based off of realistic things, such as Call of Duty or Shellshock: Nam '67. Call of Duty has you relive some of the biggest battles in World War 2. Now, of course it has violence, but it's not as bad as some of the other games. You should try playing Call of Duty. It wasn't made so you could "practice killing," but so you could relive World War 2. Shellshock: Nam '67 is different. I don't know if this game is out yet, but I do know that it is a bit more gruesome than Call of Duty. In this game, you are in the Vietnam War (of course). Now, some of the pictures I have seen are a bit more violent than games like Call of Duty, but I'm going to remind you again: It's not real! It's all just computer-generated images! How many times to I have to say that to get it through your thick skull?

If games like Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt were movies, people like you wouldn't be complaining. Why are you blaming everything on videogames? Movies are more realistic than videogames. In movies, there are actual people killing other actual people, unlike videogames. In videogames, it's computer-generated images killing other computer-generated images. Why are you ignoring all the other forms of media? Why do you think videogames are the number one cause for violence?

Try to guess why I play videogames. Go ahead, guess. Is it so I can "practice killing" like you say? Nope. Is it so I can have sex with a hooker, kill her, take her money, and then shotgun a cop in the face? Again, nope. Is it so I can suffocate thugs with plastic bags and kill people in other gruesome and disgusting ways? Yet again, no. I play videogames for a number of reasons:

1. If I'm angry, I play videogames. Believe it or not, playing a videogame when I'm angry actually does the opposite of what you say. Instead, it actually calms me down, no matter how violent.
2. Videogames actually do help you. They give you better hand-eye coordination, and they increase your reaction time.
3. Playing videogames with your friends is an experience like no other. One of the reasons I play videogames is so that I can play them with my friends. We always have a great time playing them. Have you ever been to a LAN party, or a videogame tournament? Of course you haven't. Neither have I, but I did host a small LAN party once. Do you know why people go to these things? Is it to "practice killing" each other? No. They go to these things so they can hang out with their friends, play some videogames, and have a good time. Nobody walks away from one of those angry or filled with violent thoughts.

Now, let's talk about some of the murders that have occurred in the past few years. I'm talking about the cases with Warren Leblanc and Charles McCoy. How do you know that these people were influenced only by videogames? What about other things? What if they were drug addicts or they just suffered a serious loss? Did you ever think about that? Now, before I go on, I would just like to point out that I do not think it was right for those people to be killed. Now that that's out of the way, I'll continue. Those people who committed the violent acts, that's only two people. Do you know how many people play videogames? I don't, but I'm pretty sure it's a big number of people. Almost all video gamers are not like those people. The people who committed those violent acts are the ones who should be punished, not people like me. You should only punish those who commit the crime.

By the way, just so you know, I am 15 years old, and I own a Nintendo 64, Xbox, Gamecube, and PC (of course). I have over 50 games, some of which are M-rated. I have never committed a violent act or been influenced to do one by videogames. Thank you for your time.
So, after a few corrections, I sent it to him. A few minutes later, I got an e-mail back from him. I was very surprised to discover this. I open up the e-mail, expecting a well-written paragraph or two, and this is what I find:

you're still impaired
The above quote was not altered in any way. So, after reading his "well-written and well-thought out" e-mail, I decided to reply again with this (don't worry, it's shorter):

Well, thank you for responding to my e-mail so quickly, although I must say I am quite disappointed with your response. I e-mailed you expecting an intelligent discussion, but apparently, you're just as bad as those people who e-mailed you saying things like "F*ck you" and "I hope you die!" You didn't even captilize the first letter of your sentence, nor did you end it with a punctuation mark.

Also, I am in no way impaired. I am a straight-A student in high school. Can you find anything "impaired" about that? If you think name-calling is going to stop me, you're in for a surprise. You picked the wrong person to mess with.
So, I send it, and again, I get another reply within a few minutes. This is what he had to say:

an intelligent discussion, with YOU?
He also included this with the e-mail. Now, I was getting angry. I replied, saying:

Intelligence isn't based on age, it's based on an ability to keep an open mind and to continue learning all your life.

I'm hope I'm never as closed-minded as you.
This time, it took him a little while longer to reply. But finally, once he did, all I got was that stupid comic again. I've stopped e-mailing him, because he doesn't seem to be interested in having an intelligent conversation. Because of this little argument, I have decided to start up the G.A.M.E. Campaign.

What is The G.A.M.E. Campaign, you ask? Simple. It stands for "Games Are Made for Entertainment." Mr. Thompson here stated that people play violent video games so they can "practice killing." I'm creating this campaign to prove that he is wrong, and that he is a dumbass, along with anybody else who agrees with him. My plan is to get as many people as possible to join this campaign. Then, we would start trying to contact some politicians (example: The governor of your state, or the mayor of your city), telling them about this campaign. Our goal would be to convince people like Jack Thompson that videogames are not the cause for violence. A website for the campaign will be created once I have enough people to join.

So, who's with me?

PS: My gut is telling me that this isn't going to work, but then again, my gut is made of an advanced polymer, and it doesn't know what the hell it's saying. Stupid gut. (RvB rocks, I just got the DVD today!)

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
I fully agree, but sadly I don't really believe that the politicians really care much one way or the other. All it is really is being able to have a stance on a controversial subject which they know they will get a lot of support for, because their opposition is largely below voting age, or of the apathetic crowd. Actually the argument against video games is exactly the same one they made against comic books, and then TV when they first became popular. It will be the same argument when the next form of popular entertainment comes out.
I've actually studied this issue quite a bit, and anyone who agrees that videogames (or any other media for that matter) are not the cause of violence should look up Henry Jenkins. This essay he wrote is particularly relevant to the discussion:
http://web.mit.edu/21fms/www/faculty/henry3/profjenkins.html
And you can see much more of his work here:
http://web.mit.edu/21fms/www/faculty/henry3/

Cutter

College Punk
im in for G.A.M.E. just like im in D.A.M.M (Drunks against mad mothers)

Pachyderm

I really did.
That's really interesting, I think you should take those e-mails and bring them to who ever is defending the case against him. You'd be a good witness in telling the court why he really doesn't care about it, he just wants to make a buck.

G.I. JET

Rebel of the Sacred Heart
Like I have said before, politicians and people like this are condemning things they do not understand, and know nothing about. If they were willing to research and investigate the subject, they would find that their fears and accusations are unfounded. But they wont, because they are old and close- minded, so they can have this > :mfinger:

Descent

Hella Constipated
I agree 100% on this. Politicians do not know what they are talking about, and should be stopped at all costs.

I sent this to Jack Thompson:

My name is Michael Mohamed. I can not understand you at all.

It's people like you who take advantage of others who don't understand something. It's people like you who create fear. What is wrong with you. Did you get bullied at school? Do you have any friends. Honestly, what is wrong with you? Video games are simply a way to get away from reality. Instead of killing someone in real life to get rid of your problems, you just take it out on polygons.

It's a sub-culture within itself. It's full of different types of people. Simply to blame it as a cause of murder is ludicrous? Did the parent's of these teenage parents tell you to do this for money? Do you honestly believe anything you're saying is true? You disgust me. Video games give people just a little bit of harmless enjoyment in there lives, and you fight to stop that. I really hope you discover true happiness, instead of taking it out on the world simply because you sucked up enough to get the power.

Do you really think anyone can get away with doing half the things in video games. In real life if you fired a single unnecessary bullet, you would be killed by the police. That's what they're designed to be, unrealistic.

Please find happiness.

n00b head

The pron storer
I'm in full support of the G.A.M.E. campaign although I don't think it will go anywhere. I've been playing games all my life and I've never even started a fight (I'm not a fag/wimp/wuss/shit stick or whatever, I just don't see any reason to hit people). My favourite games are all war games and all first person shooters. Does that mean I will go on a killing spree? Does it mean with a single clip from a sub-machine gun I can hit someone, never mind killing 10 different people with 30 rounds? NO. I probably couldn't even hit a thing. They are only putting it down as they do not understand as that is how hate roots itself