WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The good 'ol "Cheap Bastard" approach to building a PC...

Descent

Hella Constipated
I was bored...It was a boring Sunday evening, and I wanted something to fuck around with. No, not sexually. Mechanically. I wanted to build something of epic proportions...well, it was too bad I was $30 in debt. Oh, well.

So I said, "Hmmm...I wonder how much it could cost me to build a PC using old shit I have lying around my closets..."

Needless to say, my closets smell cheesy...very cheesy. Kinda like when you get a bunch of old gym clothes and shove 'em in your locker, then proceed to stuff two dead babies in there.

It reeked. I dug deep into the old, stinky clothes, and unearthed some boxes I had lying around. A couple of power supplies, some RAM, an old FIC Super Socket 7 motherboard (The good 'ol VA-503+), a case, a super pretty looking but suck ass power supply, a CD-ROM drive, and old TNT2 video card.

OOOH! Lots of stuff...When I got bored, I just fuck around in my closet. I just look for shit.

However, this day I had different intentions. I wanted something that I could use as a spare box, or just a super-l33t tweaker box for fucking around with. Ya know, one of those suck ass boxes that you just try out random software and operating systems on. Getting it to run Doom 3 and HL2 would also be part of the plan, but that would happen in the future...

I start coming up with the cheapest possible way I can to build the piece of shit.

Ohh! There's a possibility!

With memory costing so fucking much these days (all because of stupid fucking asshole companies like Micron and Samsung who didn't make enough fucking chips and caused a shortage!), the only possible way I could build a "Shitbox" was to reuse the old sticks of RAM I had lying around. Provided I got a new processor on my birthday, I could just stick my old CPU into a new mobo and go...

ONE FUCKING PROBLEM. THERE ARE VERY FEW MOTHERBOARDS LEFT IN EXISTANCE THAT CAN SUPPORT A NEW MODEL DURON AND CAN EASILY USE OLD PC-100 RAM.

So I start digging around in my nose...whoops...I mean Pricewatch. After finding a few possible working boards with no success, I finally find one that would work.

TAA-DAA! MSI K7T Turbo. I'm shocked...I check Pricewatch. TWENTY TWO FUCKING BUCKS?! I stop in my tracks...I think..."Fuck, this is great! Maybe I can afford this..."

I look around, and I realize I can stick in a 60 GB hard drive for a mere $45...sick! Fucking awesome! This is gonna be kewl. Now when my super fabulous ghetto friends come over they can play games too! w00t!

I'm so psyched...It's gonna kick ass. I'm gonna put my old video card in it when I get my new one...

Then again, I'll probobly just keep my current card, and stick a Radeon 8500 or a Geforce 3 Ti 500 in there...It'll run Doom 3 okay.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

SPECS:

AMD Duron 1.8GHz CPU
384MB of PC100 SDRAM
AOpen 32MB TNT2 video card
60GB Magnetic Data Technologies hard drive
32X Sony CD-ROM
Powmax Shitmax 400w ULTRA CRAPPY POWER SUPPLY w/lighted fans
Shitty old Soyo case
1.44MB floppy drive
Integrated audio
integrated LAN
MSI K7T Turbo motherboard

Total Price: $60

Cool, huh?

Has anyone you known ever built a PC like this for this little amount of money?

Any suggestions/thoughts? Any feedback would be appreciated. If you like this idea, the "shitbox" idea, let me know.

</rant>

Tenderony
No, but a mate of mine saw his neighbour putting a pc box out to the bins.. he asked him what was wrong with it and the neighbour said it was fucked, use it for spares if you like.

So he took it home, formatted it, and it's fine. Nothing wrong with it.

1.2 athlon I think..

Amazing what people throw away..

</rant>

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Good job. You seem to know your way around the tweaking.
I Built a server @ work out of some spare SCSI's an old RAID array and an old HP LHII Chassis. 3- 9.1 Gb drives and 3-new 18Gb. dual Pentium 2/333 Mhz Processors. Now it's our mail server, instead of a museum piece.

Descent

Hella Constipated
That's pretty damn cool, Maxpower...I found a hacked OpenGL32.dll file and I am going to try to run Doom 3 off of the TNT2, just for kicks.

http://blogs.lns.kicks-ass.net/moonjihad/archives/000158.html

Yeah, that's where I got the file...Whoops...just realized it's for an ATI card :(. Oh wel, I'll try anyway.

Check out the site, it is funny as hell. I think I am going to put a Radeon 8500LE/9100 in there and OC it to a stock 8500. I was going to get the Geforce3 Ti 500, but alas, it is pricey, and I am cheap.

This box is still going to play Doom 3 nice though :). If it can play that, then I am happy.

Does anyone here know if Doom 3 can run on a 32MB card, or if it will just halt when it loads? They are selling a 32MB Radeon 8500 for cheap, and I am tempted to buy it.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
jstager said:
Does anyone here know if Doom 3 can run on a 32MB card, or if it will just halt when it loads? They are selling a 32MB Radeon 8500 for cheap, and I am tempted to buy it.
Noooooo! Stooooop! don't wast your money.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Roger that, I might as well cough up the extra $15-20 and install a Radeon 8500LE and OC it.

That will be sexy.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
jstager said:
Roger that, I might as well cough up the extra $15-20 and install a Radeon 8500LE and OC it.

That will be sexy.
Whew! Scared me there JS

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hey, Maxpower, what do you think of me spending $80 for a GF4 TI4200?

I find the idea sexy myself...but this will be a spare PC, for when friends come over and shit, and I don't think it needs any of that fancy shit. It would allow the PC to get more mileage though...I wouldn't have to upgrade anything in it for a while...If I waited until December to put in a new graphics card, I could probobly slap a FX 5200 Ultra in there or a TI4600...I really like the 4600 idea more, though...I saw my friends uncle's little mini Shuttle box running Doom 3 pretty sweet with a 4600 in it...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The FX5200 is a dog. I'd rather use a TI-4600 than ANY 5200 model. They don't run DX9 fast enough to be usable, so it's nothing but a slower DX8 card. Most TI-4200's are faster than the 5200 series. The 5200 series are absolute shit. Personally, for $80, I'd go with an ATI 9600 series card. That's what I have in my Shuttle SFF box and it runs pretty nice. MY other Shuttle SFF has a 9800Pro in it. Now that's nice.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well...I was going to stick a Radeon 9550 (9600 chipset) card in there, but alas, compatability issues arise. I don't know if you know about this, but the only way I can afford to buy this thing is if I get a mobo with a VIA KT133 chipset (So that I can reuse my old PC100 SDRAM I have lying around).

The Radeon 9600 series cards have major issues with VIA chipsets...except the cards made by Gigabyte. You will get endless lockups and VPU errors if you run a 9600 on any mobo with a VIA chipset, due to ATI's crappy design (Even though VIA does suck ass). I will look up some more things in the thread on Hardware Analysis about is (90 pages long!) and then I will see if VIA released some updated AGP drivers to fix the issue.

I'm going to look more now...expect more out of me later.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Shit. I finished looking at the Radeon 9550...same issue as the 9600 when paired up with a VIA chipset...This sucks balls. There is no universal solution, but the sad thing is users of KT133 and KT266 chipsets are the most heavily affected...and the mobo I need has a KT133A chipset. Crap.

Anyone else here know of any other GPU chipsets, any obscure ones that could run Doom 3? I may be stuck with the Geforce3 Ti 500...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I would avoid the XGI Volari like the plague...

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/doom-3-tests_4.html
We had also planned to add a Volari Duo V8 Ultra from XGI and a DeltaChrome S8 Nitro from S3 Graphics, but found that these graphics cards could not run Doom 3 correctly even with the freshest drivers.

The image quality is awful with both Volari and DeltaChrome. It is evident that the OpenGL drivers from XGI and S3 graphics are no good at all. Well, between the two, the DeltaChrome is somewhat better. Besides the nasty image, the Volari Due V8 Ultra delivered a very poor performance, below one frame per second. Well, it was slow even in the game menu!

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yeah...As soon as XBit goes back online, I'll check it out...

The review I read about the Voalri V8 Duo seemed pretty bad...

Infected_enigma

I pwn and you know it
</rant> said:
No, but a mate of mine saw his neighbour putting a pc box out to the bins.. he asked him what was wrong with it and the neighbour said it was fucked, use it for spares if you like.

So he took it home, formatted it, and it's fine. Nothing wrong with it.

1.2 athlon I think..

Amazing what people throw away..

</rant>
haha ya that'd be pwnage to get that for free

My thoughts on this whole thing is save up $1500 and then blow it all on the l337357 shit out there computer wise. pimp out your case like a premod or get a dremel and a lian-li (sp)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hey, I sold my 9600XT to my friend for $100. He loaned me his old 128MB Radeon 9200 until I buy my new card. It really hauls ass for a low end card. After I work up the cash, I'm gonna buy this card from him and I am going to put it in the shitbox.

morelos

lexicon incognito
why do you keep funneling money into your computers?

i blew up a pc, so i had to replace the mobo+cpu+ram (lord knows when you wait that long to upgrade you have to replace all the key architecture) and you all know about my nvidia reference board that burnt up.

i have a geforce3 64mb overclocked a bit, with a heatsink on it. it is quiet, stable, and has no problem driving my 19" CRT monitor. yes, i said CRT. i use 1280x1024 as my screen resolution (which is compressed vertically; 1280x968 is the correct resolution at this width to preserve aspect ratio). i almost never use the 3d modes anyway.

however, i just bought this little tiny sharp subnotebook, which came pre-loaded with xp home and, uh, nothing else. it's cool because it has a docking/charging station which allows me to use it as a disk drive from my main PC (making synchronizing files a snap), and it has a transmeta processor, so it lasts about 21098034284092930 weeks on one recharge of the tiny little li-polymer battery. moreover, it does not get hot and does not need fans. and at the university, since we have wi-fi at every building, i can always reach the outside world no matter which class i'm sitting in.

for $1599, i don't think i could be happier with a laptop -- it fits in my 1" zipper binder (with shoulder strap) along with everything else i use every day. pheer.

~ dan ~

it used to be "grow up, turn the baseball cap around, and get a job."

now it's "grow up, stop wasting money on 3d cards, and get a life."

Descent

Hella Constipated
morelos said:
it used to be "grow up, turn the baseball cap around, and get a job."

now it's "grow up, stop wasting money on 3d cards, and get a life."
(Laughs)

How would I enjoy myself without those wonderful cards?

I forgot you had the reference card, by the way.