WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The good wife's guide!

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#1
this is an article my dad showed me that he printed off at work from the net. it's from housekeeping monthly on may 13, 1955, and it's pretty funny! I've bolded and underlined things that are particularily amusing and added a couple little comments in "[ ]" 's.

The Good Wife's Guide!

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delivious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (espeically his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest [how kind] so you'll be refreshed when he arives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a life and one of your duties is to provide it.

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

* Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc and then run a dustcloth over the tables

* Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

* Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the childen to be quiet. [chya! like that's easy!]

* Be happy to see him.

* Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

* Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

* Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

* Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

* Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

* Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

and finally...

* A good wife always knows her place.


all the guys are now wondering where everything went wrong in the world today!
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#2
haha, that's funny bf! < insert witty comment here > your threads are always awesome, you're the best and you're uber cool! ;) go me --- i mean you! :D:D:D
 

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
1,684
1
0
#3
I WROTE THAT...no but, it sounds made up..."he is the master of the house"?? maybe from the 30's or something
 

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
1,684
1
0
#5
i saw that..but 1955 was only a few years before the explosion in the womens lib area....just trying to spice up this "l33t" thread...dont get bent outta shape, toots.
 

magnolia

Postaholic
4,093
59
112
#6
haha. Nice. It's deffinately not from our erra ( i know "it's from housekeeping monthly on may 13, 1955" and u can tell) It's good for a laugh. Reppage!
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#7
bigck3000 said:
i saw that..but 1955 was only a few years before the explosion in the womens lib area....just trying to spice up this "l33t" thread...dont get bent outta shape, toots.
i don't remember trying to become a pretzel over this at any point.. but whatevs!

hah, there's quotes because you don't think this thread is any good! i get it. j/k :p
i think you were kinda the one being a little touchy here. i'm still not even sure what you thought was spicey about saying it seems made up? most of these things were in fact very expected of wives. obviously before the whole liberation-of-women-and-their-rights etc time period took place. and seeing how much that affected women of today, comparing the expectations before that time period to the present, is somewhat humourous when you take it into consideration! ... to some. <_<
anyway, no one else seems to be able to think of anything to say to this thread 'sides mags and you. so you can let it die if you so wish.
 

Darkmage

Shiva-Destroyer of Worlds
120
0
0
#8
I read that two years ago.....I thought it was hilarious. But you have to think....some of that still applies, even in this day and age. Some families have the woman in front of the stove and the man, when he comes home from work, expects dinner to be on the table. I'm not saying it's right, but I'm saying it still happens and is somewhat expected even.
 

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
4
102
#9
Gee willickers! that sounds swell!

Now let me tell you what happens when I come home:
1) I am greeted by 4 dirty toddlers, all screaming "DADDY!!!" at least two will be crying
2) My wife usually sitting at the computer, probably give me a wave and a smile before going back to whatever, or she jumps in my lap to ask for money to something I can't possibly say no to, less I immediatly become a stingy asshole who wants to control her
3) Dog laying in MY chair.
4) I get yelled at because on my way to the chair I kick all the toys in the hall out of the hall. Of course I don't really get yelled at for kicking the toys, it's because I teach the girls bad habits (which is why I really do it because it is DAMN funny to watch)
5) My wife can't cook so if I get to order chinese take out I am in heaven.

I know it all sounds horrible ... lol ... but the truth is I love going home, and after 5 years of marriage me and my wife are still as giddy in love as we were when we met! But she still can't cook ... lol ... :p
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
178
0
#10
breakology said:
Gee willickers! that sounds swell!

Now let me tell you what happens when I come home:
1) I am greeted by 4 dirty toddlers, all screaming "DADDY!!!" at least two will be crying
2) My wife usually sitting at the computer, probably give me a wave and a smile before going back to whatever, or she jumps in my lap to ask for money to something I can't possibly say no to, less I immediatly become a stingy asshole who wants to control her
3) Dog laying in MY chair.
4) I get yelled at because on my way to the chair I kick all the toys in the hall out of the hall. Of course I don't really get yelled at for kicking the toys, it's because I teach the girls bad habits (which is why I really do it because it is DAMN funny to watch)
5) My wife can't cook so if I get to order chinese take out I am in heaven.

I know it all sounds horrible ... lol ... but the truth is I love going home, and after 5 years of marriage me and my wife are still as giddy in love as we were when we met! But she still can't cook ... lol ... :p

do you have 4 girls? how exactly did you mamnager four toddlers? did one of you get fixed? LOL At least mine are spread out by a few years.
 

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
4
102
#11
dustinzgirl said:
do you have 4 girls? how exactly did you mamnager four toddlers? did one of you get fixed? LOL At least mine are spread out by a few years.
yes! I have a total of 5 kids. My son, 6, is from a relationship past ... then I have 4 girls with my wife. The oldest is 4, then 3, #3 will be 2 in FEB, and the youngest will be a year in JAN

As you can see there have been many visits to the baby doctor in the last 5 years. We are actually thinking of having another one ... but not until I am out of the army.
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
178
0
#12
breakology said:
yes! I have a total of 5 kids. My son, 6, is from a relationship past ... then I have 4 girls with my wife. The oldest is 4, then 3, #3 will be 2 in FEB, and the youngest will be a year in JAN

As you can see there have been many visits to the baby doctor in the last 5 years. We are actually thinking of having another one ... but not until I am out of the army.
I cant have anymore until I win the lottery. LOL
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
178
0
#13
Black Flame said:
this is an article my dad showed me that he printed off at work from the net. it's from housekeeping monthly on may 13, 1955, and it's pretty funny! I've bolded and underlined things that are particularily amusing and added a couple little comments in "[ ]" 's.

The Good Wife's Guide!

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delivious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (espeically his favourite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest [how kind] so you'll be refreshed when he arives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a life and one of your duties is to provide it.

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

* Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc and then run a dustcloth over the tables

* Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

* Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the childen to be quiet. [chya! like that's easy!]

* Be happy to see him.

* Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

* Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

* Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

* Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

* Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

* Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

and finally...

* A good wife always knows her place.


all the guys are now wondering where everything went wrong in the world today!

Black, seriously, posting this is just going to give the guys ideas..........
 

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
26,094
178
0
#15
Unforgiven said:
that's right... geht back to the kitchen. i'm hungry. :)

geht your own damn food.

*action: hits un in the head with a frying pan. and then geht and cl just for kicks.
 
11,049
397
382
#16
dustinzgirl said:
geht your own damn food.

*action: hits un in the head with a frying pan. and then geht and cl just for kicks.
geezus f christ, woman...

was it something i said? :)
 
4,248
0
0
#17
Ooh, someone mysteriously found a good housewife guide from a magazine that was printed almost 50 years ago.

I even saw this thing in school. Who cares. It's just how they did things back then. We know now not to be that damn stupid. Maybe I'm a closet feminist or something, but I always found a woman who's strong in her opinions to be sexy.
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#19
breakology said:
Gee willickers! that sounds swell!

Now let me tell you what happens when I come home:
1) I am greeted by 4 dirty toddlers, all screaming "DADDY!!!" at least two will be crying
2) My wife usually sitting at the computer, probably give me a wave and a smile before going back to whatever, or she jumps in my lap to ask for money to something I can't possibly say no to, less I immediatly become a stingy asshole who wants to control her
3) Dog laying in MY chair.
4) I get yelled at because on my way to the chair I kick all the toys in the hall out of the hall. Of course I don't really get yelled at for kicking the toys, it's because I teach the girls bad habits (which is why I really do it because it is DAMN funny to watch)
5) My wife can't cook so if I get to order chinese take out I am in heaven.

I know it all sounds horrible ... lol ... but the truth is I love going home, and after 5 years of marriage me and my wife are still as giddy in love as we were when we met! But she still can't cook ... lol ... :p
hehehe, aw that's sweet. gotta love kids. especially when they're filthy and mischievious!
 

Black Flame

Mayhem on the Loose
393
0
0
#20
TheLampIncident said:
Ooh, someone mysteriously found a good housewife guide from a magazine that was printed almost 50 years ago.

I even saw this thing in school. Who cares. It's just how they did things back then. We know now not to be that damn stupid. Maybe I'm a closet feminist or something, but I always found a woman who's strong in her opinions to be sexy.
not so true. there's still a lot of stupid ones, like darkmage said, there's stuff like that that still happens now-a-days. hell even worse.
lighten up buddy, there's a lot of people that don't know the specifics of what was expected of wives back then. and even if they do, i found it would be an amusing or interesting topic to discuss in this forum. mind you things like this have been discussed many times all over the world, but hell, what hasn't?
well that's good that you find a strong opinion to be an asset on women, although i tend to find it can get to an annoying point when they are so strong in their opinions that nothing else matters. especially feminists! i'm all for the rights of women, but they started off just wanted to be equal to men. but now a lot of hardcore feminists want to dominate, and make a point of being so dominant in every aspect of their lives to every male they interact with. so hopefully you don't mean it to that extreme.
in any case... that is all. :blah: