WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss The issues of downloading music...

swizeguy

How dare you!?
download music?

just curious who downloads music and if you think its right or not...

I download music, i think its "sharing" and we have always been taught to share so... anyways what do you all think?

shep

Local alcoholic
i download music and yes i was taught to share also :thumbsup:

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
i'm mostly a giver..but i share too

i don't think it's wrong either...
...but i like to support music that is good also

i think it's kinda like getting that first test drive on a car...if you find one you like, then you buy it...

...then you return it like that idiot who brought back the sienna and i had to re-detail it for another customer...sorry, something that happened at work...

gumercules

Ultra Mega
i've bought WAY more music than i ever would ahve if music downloading weren't around. in fact every single one of my CD purchases has come after napster. I hardly listened to music at all before 10th grade or thereabouts

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
gumercules said:
i've bought WAY more music than i ever would ahve if music downloading weren't around. in fact every single one of my CD purchases has come after napster. I hardly listened to music at all before 10th grade or thereabouts
yea i was pretty closed away from the world when i lived in louisiana..i didn't really listen to Any music til about 7th grade when a friend showed me something called 'DcTalk'..i liked it..still kinda do and that's why i bought both their cd's...so it's started on from there

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Music, movies, video games, I download pretty much everthing. But if I find something I really like I'll buy it legitimately. See, letting people download stuff can help your sales.

R

RedOctober

Well, I used Napster a while to hunt for older music.
Music you can't even buy. In the beginning it was fun, but after a while nobody ripped interesting material anymore.
Modern music doesn't interest me at all.

90% Of it is shit anyway. That is nothing new, that was also the case in the 1950-2000. Real good music is only 1%.

So the download or sharing discussion sucks.

Music I bought, was because I found out about by Napster, and then I began to look for it, and bought it, if available.

So most of the music kids are ripping these days is shit anyway ;)

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
ReiMeishin said:
Music, movies, video games, I download pretty much everthing. But if I find something I really like I'll buy it legitimately. See, letting people download stuff can help your sales.
i bet it does actually...cuz without finding it on the net or something i'd probly never hear of it ever..so getting previews of it help me find out what's out there

R

RedOctober

Oops :rolleyes:

Well, Some were postin' in the same timespan...

What I wanted to say is that some groups have done a lot to let the entire electronics industry go downhill. Metallica, and especially that fuckhead of their drummer has frustrated Napster.
The market of CDR burners collapsed, and that made quite a lot of people lose their jobs.
This was enough to trigger recession.

And another thing!

I bought many LP's, and have payed royalties already!
So I should get the CD version for a lower prize!
Fair or not!

tzedek

Original Member
I think that music sharing should be legal and here is why: If someone gives you a cd to borrow and you take that cd and listen to it is that illegal? You didnt pay any money for the music yet you are listening to the music. your friend bought the cd. Thats just like music sharing over the internet. Of course on a smaller scale but still. Every single song found on the interent orginated as a legit purchase of a cd. If that is to be illegal than it also needs to be illegal to let someone borrow a cd of yours.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
wait how is barrowing a friends cd (that he lent out to you by the way) stealing?

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
swizeguy said:
wait how is barrowing a friends cd (that he lent out to you by the way) stealing?
haha..i just had a thought

if you go to a club or party or some place where a bunch of people are and they are playing music...wouldn't everyone be stealing?

*edit: of course i'm sure they got permission

Jung

???
Premium
RedOctober said:
I bought many LP's, and have payed royalties already!
So I should get the CD version for a lower prize!
Fair or not!
i completely agree. i spend a few hundred dollars a month on vinyl usually. although most of my cd's are burnt, from fellow dj's or artist that don't mind sharing. i do buy cd's occasionally, usually punk or raggae but occasionally i will buy mix cd's as well. i know i support the music i like, so i don't feel as obligated to buy so many cd's. i also share quite a bit, about 20% of my bandwidth at any given time is dedicated to torrents, soulseek, and/or irc transfers.

Seije: dj's actually break the law everytime they play in public without having the proper rights. it's a thing that's overlooked because it's free publicity.

tzedek

Original Member
swizeguy said:
you didnt pay for the music, but yet you are listening to it. If you download music thats the same thing, you didnt pay for it but you are listening to it.

magnolia

Postaholic
tzedek said:
you didnt pay for the music, but yet you are listening to it. If you download music thats the same thing, you didnt pay for it but you are listening to it.
Then u have to make the argument that listenting to the radio is stealing also. I have burned CDs, I have downloaded music, but not really anymore. The program I had been using turned into complete adware. So I quite using it. Anyway, I don't see a problem with it.

Jung

???
Premium
tzedek said:
I think that music sharing should be legal and here is why: If someone gives you a cd to borrow and you take that cd and listen to it is that illegal? You didnt pay any money for the music yet you are listening to the music. your friend bought the cd. Thats just like music sharing over the internet. Of course on a smaller scale but still. Every single song found on the interent orginated as a legit purchase of a cd. If that is to be illegal than it also needs to be illegal to let someone borrow a cd of yours.
no it falls under "fair usage". you're allowed to make back ups(as long as you don't circumvent encryption in doing so), allow people to borrow, etc. letting a friend borrow property you own is a lot different from downloading property you don't own. i really don't see why it's such a hard concept to grasp. copyrights protect IP, and i think that's a good thing, on the other hand i also pirate like a bitch. :cool:

note: atleast that's how i understand it, you might want to google the dmca for more info. i've never been too worried about it anyway.

tzedek

Original Member
magnolia said:
Then u have to make the argument that listenting to the radio is stealing also.
yes, I would have to make that argument if that was what I believed in. It isn't and that is my argument as to why none of it should be illegal. I think that radio is different becuase you aren't in control of the music.

junglizm said:
letting a friend borrow property you own is a lot different from downloading property you don't own.
yes it is, but do you think borrowing from a freind property that you dont own and downloading property that you dont own is a lot different? I dont think that there is a major difference there.

Jung

???
Premium
well i won't be able to explain this simple concept to you.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
magnolia said:
Then u have to make the argument that listenting to the radio is stealing also. I have burned CDs, I have downloaded music, but not really anymore. The program I had been using turned into complete adware. So I quite using it. Anyway, I don't see a problem with it.
The radio station pays the artist for the rights to broadcast their songs (I think). The radio stations then make the money back through advertisement.

I am very torn on this subject. While I think that artists put a lot of work in to their work and deserve money, I don't think that I personally should have to pay for it. :thumbsup:

I should just get like... an "exempt" pass whenever anybody wants me to pay for music, but they should charge everybody else insane prices (like they do nowadays).

Yes, I understand the complete stupidity of this. But I'm still immature.