The Last Hunter

FireAngel

Schmexy
The last Hunter stood, heart racing, breath coming out in short, shallow bursts. Twin blades hung at either side of the warrior's legs, dripping blood from the tips into small pools around the warrior's combat boot covered feet. Blood splashed camoflauge pants led up to a black tank top that hugged the fighter's compact, well-built body. Well defined arm muscles sported deep gashes that oozed blood. Auburn hair hung limply, framing a slim face worn beyond its years from stress. Eyes the color of oak leaves glared defiantly at the vampire standing across the room. Slim fingers gripped the silver wrought hilts of the twin swords. Flames danced around the room, casting a glow on the Hunter's bronze skin. A tattoo could be seen on the warrior's left hand of two snakes pinned by one sword with the words "Death of the Serpent's Children."

Brook knew in her heart that she was beaten. Her mind and every instinct in her, however, fought the truth despite everything. She was growing weak from the blood loss. Her enemy had not taken many wounds, and even if he had he would certainly not be weakening from the loss of blood. He was just too fast and too strong for her. She hated to admit it, but it was the truth. Even now he gloated over his impending triumph. She did not hear what he said, as she had long since tuned out his taunts to focus on herself. Now, as she tried to lift the swords that had served her so well in the past, she thought only of her heritage.

She had failed them all, her family, the few people she cared about in the world. Not only had she failed them, but she had failed the world. If she died now she would be responsible for the death of all humankind on the face of the planet. Her soul would surely be damned to Hell for this failure. Her family would be most displeased if they could see her now. They had all survived to old age before death took them on its dark journey. Her other failing, or her weakness as her parents had deemed it, she feared death. The rest of her line had laughed at the idea and refused to even think it possible. She, on the other hand, loathed the idea of dying so young. She had been sixteen when her parents thought her ready and passed down the family responsibilities to her. Now, at 27 she faced death in the form of a vampire named Christolph. Her mind could not take it. With every ounce of will she had she lifted her swords to engage her enemy once more. He laughed and lifted his swords to meet her. They both knew this time would be the last time their swords met in battle. Yet, it had not always been this way. . .

FireAngel

Schmexy
Thanks for the tip. I guess I decided to reverse it this time. Normally I get the description of the setting in but not the characters. lol. I guess today was just a backwards day.

FireAngel

Schmexy
Okay, I'm going to double post here. I apologize ahead of time. The next post will be a continuation of the story. Those of you who have read the beginning above, I need you to read the alternate beginning I have posted in the thread titled "Need your guys's opinion." Let me know which one you prefer. T_B, if I stick with this beginning what specifically needs work besides putting in more scenery? Remember, the above post is just a prologue of sorts (as is the alternate beginning). Any feedback given please be as specific as possible. I can't fix the problem if I don't know what it is. Thank you.

FireAngel

Schmexy
Brook took another drag on her cigarette and then continued cleaning the revolver in front of her. A white hand reached ver and took the cigarette from between her fingers. She scowled up at Zachary as he put it out against the windowsill and threw it into the bushes beyond. He looked back at her calmly. He knew he was the only one who could do such a thing without having his hand snapped off. "You know I don't tolerate smoking in my shop."

"So what?" she said, but she didn't light another one.

"Why did yo upick up such a nasty habit anyway?"

Brook shrugged indifferently. "I guess because I'd see all the badass heroes in movies doing it. I wanted to be like them."

He looked at her for a long moment. "Bullshit," he said after that minute. "You don't believe in that whole 'movies influencing children' nonsense. Why'd you really start?"

"I don't know. I found a pack of my uncle's cigarettes one time, and it felt like the thing to do at the time. I've been hooked ever since."

"Well, you should at least try to kick the habit."

"Why? Because they will kill me? Please, there are other things out there that will kill me long before cigarettes can get the chance. Speaking of, do you have those modified bullets ready for me yet?"

"Right here. Knowing your usual accuracy level I wasn't sure wether I should bother adding the traditional wooden tip. I decided to leave it on, but I guess it doesn't really matter does it? Either way they're dead whether by the wooden tip through their heart or the holy water inside the bullets exploding and burning through their bodies."

"That would be the whole point behind asking you to modify the bullets. That way, in the off chance that I do miss the heart or the head they'll still die. Therefore freeing me up to kill more of them at once."

"Are you hunting tonight?"

Brook stood and swung the black back that had been at her feet over her shoulder. She stuffed the revolver into her waistband and let her black jacket fall to conceal it. She tossed a wad of cash at Zachary who caught it at chest level. "This is more than you need to pay me for the bullets."

"I know. I'm also going to buy this," she explained, grabbing a large, pure silver cross from its place on a shelf next to her amongst other knicknacks meant for protection against the supernatural. "And yes, I'm going hunting tonight. You know I hunt every night."

"I know. You need to take a night off. You'll wear yourself out."

"The vampires don't rest, I don't rest. If I take a night off they'll multiply in this town at an even faster rate than they already do. That'll just make my job that much harder the next night. I have to go. It'll be getting dark soon."

Zachary nodded. "Just be careful, okay?"

Brook paused at the door. "By the way, you might want to advise your daughter against eavesdropping."

"What?"

"She's been listening for the past five minutes from behind those shelves behind you."

"Eleanor!" Zachary snapped. "Front and center!"

The tow headed sixteen-year-old stepped out sheepishly, blue eyes cast down. "I'm sorry, Father. I was coming to tell you dinner was ready. I did not wish to interrupt."

"How much did you hear, Child?" he asked, a tone of panic creeping into his voice.

She flushed. "All of it," she mumbled, barely loud enough for the two of them to hear.

Brook cursed, and Zachary's eyes widened in horror. "Go upstairs, Eleanor. Forget what you've heard, understand?"

"But, Dad. . ."

NOW!" he bellowed, causing even Brook to tense slightly in surprise.

Eleanor dashed out of the room. Zachary whirled on Brook. "You should have said something sooner! I did not want her to get caught up in this, God damnit!"

Brook took this with utter coolness and indifference. "This is not the first time she has overheard our conversations. She came to listen on purpose this time."

He started to shake in rage. "She has done this before? How could yo not say something? You, of all people, should want to keep her safe from all this!"

"I, of all people, would not want to do so by shielding her from it! She has to know what is out there! I want to keep her safe just as much as you do, Zachary, but you are going about this all the wrong way. I'm not saying she has to jump right into the thick of things and be right by my side battling the vampires, but she does have to learn to defend herself."

Zachary gritted his teeth. "I don't want to see o-my daughter in danger. It would be like having to watch you go out every night with that expression in your eyes all over again. I can't handle it."

"What expression?" Brook asked guardedly.

"The expression of resignation. There's a look almost like you want to die. Then, when you call in the morning to let me know you're okay it's almost like you're disappointed that you didn't die. I don't want her to be like that."

Brook maintained her outward composure, but inside she was shaken by the fact that Zachary had seen what she had thought she'd hidden so well. But then, she should have known he would. Zachary had known her since childhood, and he was the only one who knew how to get under her skin.

FireAngel

Schmexy
Continuation

"You're a target whether you know it or not. I've done my best to protect you along with the rest of this town, but I'm only one person, Zachary. I know you could handle yourself pretty well if push comes to shove, but why not let me train the girl to be able to do the same? She could help you in a time of crisis but only if she knows what she's doing. Come on, Zachary. What have you got to lose by letting me train her to defend herself?"

Zachary sighed and rubbed his temples. "I don't want her getting hurt or killed. I want her to be as safe as possible. She's the only child I'll ever be able to have."

For a moment there was a crack in Brook's composure, but it disappeared so quickly Zachary wondered if he really saw it. A moment later she was gone, leaving him to spend another night worrying that this would be the night she did not survive. He sighed and locked the door. He flipped the sign to read "closed" then just stood there for a moment looking out to the street. His pale reflection on the glass cast back at him the image of pale blond hair, so similar to Eleanor's, cut close to the nape of his neck. His blue eyes held a constant worry and pain. "Honey! Are you coming up? Your dinner's getting cold!" came a female's voice from upstairs.

"Yeah, I'm coming up now," he called back. God, keep Brook safe, please. he prayed and went to join his wife and daughter for dinner.

About an hour later darkness had fully set in, and Brook's night was just beginning. She walked wiht the silent steps of a predator down the eeriely silent streets. She had every sense on alert for any sign of paranormal activity. Houses loomed on either side of the street, the only witnesses to her hunt. The moon was in its last crescent stage above her. The next couple of nights would be insanity with the new moon. Brook laughed inwardly. Hell, tonight will be insanity just trying to put the Eleanor situation to the back of my mind while trying to fight off any vampires that care to make an appearance. Well, speak of the Devil. Literally.

She thought the last as she turned onto a side street and saw a group of about ten vampires standing in a semi-circle around a body lying on the sidewalk. They were about middle height, average weight, which was good for her. No ex-football players like the previous night. She winced at the memory. One of them wore a gray t-shirt with the logo of the local high school and jeans. He turned and spotted Brook. He hissed, baring his fangs, gold eyes flashing in anger. "Spawn of Kynigos!"

"That would be me," the Hunter replied, pulling the gun from her waistband.

The vampire lunged at her while the others turned to face her, fangs bared and ready. Brook fired once, stopping the lunging vampire in his tracks. He looked down in surprise for a second and then grinned at ehr. "You missed the heart, Hunter," he told her gleefully and started towards her again.

"I meant to," she informed him coldly without moving an inch.

A second later the vampire started screaming as he disintegrated. The other vampires stopped and stared in shock as their brethren disappeared in fron of their eyes. Brook took advantage of their surprise and started picking them off one by one. The last one took off running. He got to the end of the street before he felt the bullet shatter his spine. Moments later he was dust in the wind. Brook slipped the gun into her bag and pulled out her short sword. That had been way too easy. She preferred a challenge. "Most impressive, Brook," a silky voice behind her said mockingly.

Brook turned slowly, recognizing the voice, and confronted Constantine. As always it was ashock to her system to see how gorgeous he was. His sleek dark hair hung at shoulder length. His black eyes mocked her and called to her. Tonight he wore a black silk shirt with the top three buttons undone, black jeans that hugged his long legs nicely, and black low-heeled boots. His arms were crossed over his broad chest as he looked at her with a smug expression. He had power over her, and he knew it.

He reached over and stroked her cheek. "Why do you fight us, Hunter? I can show you powers beyond your wildest dreams. I can give yo eternal life. Think of it, Brook. You can remain this beautiful for the rest of your life. You could have anything you wanted, anyone you wanted."

This last comment served as a slap in the face to snap Brook out of her trance. She stepped backwards, away from Constantine's touch and mesmerizing gaze. "The man I want wouldn't have anything to do with me if I was like you," she said and lifted the sword in her hands to bar him from getting near her again. "Let's end this."

Constantine glared at her for a moment and then smiled. "Another time perhaps."

A gust of wind kicked up and lifted Constantine to bear him away. Brook tried to slash at him, but the force of the wind was too great. She heard his voice in her mind By the way, that girl in the shop is really quite lovely. I'll have to pay her a visit.

"Eleanor," Brook whispered, horrified.

She raced for the shop, praying to God that she would make it in time. she used her spare key to get into the store and then pounded up the stairs to Zachary's home above the shop. She banged on the door until Zachary's wife Jane opened the door looking puzzled. "Brook? What's going on?"

"Where's Eleanor?" Brook demanded, pushing past Jane into the living room.

"She's in her room sleeping. She said she didn't feel well. Why, what's the matter?"

"Brook? What's going on? What are you doing here?" Zachary asked, coming in from the kitchen.

Brook ignored him and raced ot Eleanor's bedroom. She threw open the door to find Constantine bending over the girl's sleeping form.

FireAngel

Schmexy
Continuation

He looked up and hissed at her. Brook threw herself into a flying kick aimed at his chest. He vanished and reappeared at the window. Brook did a tuck and roll to absorb the impact of her fall and leapt up to face her opponent. "I'll be back for her. You can't watch her all of the time," Constantine threated and then disappeared out the window.

Brook turned to face the horrified gazes of Jane and Zachary, her own face a mask of fury. "Now do you see why I need to train her? What if I hadn't gotten here in time?" she yelled at Zachary. "Next time I might not be so lucky. Her training begins tomorrow afternoon. I will not tolerate any more arguments. Now, I'll stay here with her tonight to make sure he doesn't come back."

Brook whipped around to face the window, trying to control her rage. "What's going on? Mom? Dad?" Eleanor sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Hush, Darling. It's all right. Just go back to sleep, okay?" Jane soothed.

Eleanor dropped back onto her pillow and was soon snoring softly. Jane tucked a lock of black hair behind her ear nervously. Her dark eyes focused on Eleanor with worry. Zachary took her by the elbow and led her out of the room. Brook surveyed the view of the tops of the buildings lining the street. There was no sign of life outside. Odd, it's only nine. Where is everybody?
Her thoughts were interrupted by a hand on her shoulder. She whirled, grabbing the hand, and flipped her attacker over onto his back. "Whoa, hey, it's me, Brook," a plaintive cry came from the body now on the floor.

"Zachary? Sorry. I guess I'm just a little on edge," Brook said, helping Zachary to his feet.

He winced and rotated his shoulder once, crying out in pain instantly. "I think it's dislocated."

"Here, let me help you." Brook grabbed his arm at the elbow and put her other hand on his shoulder. She wrenched it back into place. "Better?"

"Mm, yeah. Thanks," he answered, rotating his shoulder again. Their faces were very close, the tension between them thick.

Brook turned to glance at Eleanor who had shifted in her sleep. "Are you absolutely certain she hasn't shown any sign?" Brook asked quietly.

"Positive. In truth, I'm glad."

"I still have to train her."

"Can't you just teach her self-defense and say it's just in case?"

Brook slammed her fist on the windowsill. "Damnit, Zachary! She has to know what she's dealing with! There are different styles of fighting for facing vampires. Those styles would kill a normal human. Constantine is not a human! She has to know her enemy to defend against him. I don't understand why you're so against this!"

"I just wanted to protect her from all of this."

"And you think I don't? I want to protect our daughter...," Brook broke off with a gasp at her slip.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
nice :thumbsup: funny thing is i thought Eleanor was Brook's daughter from the start :p the story is banging :thumbsup:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
tiger_86 said:
More from DG actually. I didn't think of God of War at all.

I am the Muse! the powers of inspiration lie withing me! Yes, one more thing for me to have an inflated ego over, CL is going to loooooooove that....LOL.

FireAngel

Schmexy
DIZNUTS said:
nice :thumbsup: funny thing is i thought Eleanor was Brook's daughter from the start :p the story is banging :thumbsup:
Well, then I succeeded at something. I meant for the suspicion to be there, and it's funny because I thought I might have messed that up. Glad to see you caught the hints. :thumbsup: You'll get the whole explanation in my next segment.

FireAngel

Schmexy
"It's okay. She's asleep, so she won't hear you," Zachary soothed.

Brook shook her head. "It's not that. I promised myself I wouldn't say anything about it even to myself. That whole situation is too painful."

"It didn't have to be. Where did you go, Brook? Why did you leave? I have the right to know that much at least. We were happy together. Then you had the baby and just left. Why?"

A struggle played itself out on Brook's face. It had been the one thing she had managed to keep secret from him, and truth be told, she was kind of proud of that. Still, he was right, he did have a right to know the truth behind why she left. In the end her friendship with him won. "I left because I was afraid. Yes, we were happy, but you did not know my secret then, and I was so worried that you would hate me once you learned it. I needed time to gather my thoughts, you know, figure out whether or not I was ready for you to know. Then I came back and you had married Jane."

"You were gone ten years, Brook. Eleanor needed a mother, and I didn't know if you were ever coming back. You didn't leave a note or anything. You just took off."

Brook held up a hand to stem his explainations. "I understand it. I would have done the same thing, so I don't blame you one bit. I apologize for not leaving a note. I realized after I came back that I should have contacted you in some way."

"I would have waited for you forever," Zachary whispered, raw emotion choking his voice.

Brook put a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I know you would have, Zack. Just tell me one thing."

"Anything."

"Do you love Jane?"

"No, and she knows it. She knows the only reason I married her was for Eleanor's sake."

Brook sighed. "I'm not sure that was the best thing for Eleanor. Still, you did what you could," Brook said. She paused, listening. The sound of a scream reached her ears. She went into business mode immediately. "I'm going to check into that. I'll be back as soon as it's taken care of."

Zachary nodded. "Be careful!" he called as she jumped out the window and landed safely on the sidewalk.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
nice Tiger :thumbsup: one question though(a lil off topic) how is their sex life? they both don't love each other....can we get like a spin off story with DETAILS? :p