WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The new arms race is well underway

Jung

???
Premium
Read the full story here.

Russia reveals new missile threat

Russia revealed it was fitting its strategic bombers with cruise missiles capable of delivering a massive precision strike thousands of miles away -- giving away the first clear hint of its post-Cold War military strategy.

I'm not sure if anyone has been following this issue, but... The US has been touting its missle defense shield and is currently deploying it across the western coast of the country, including alaska. Hmm...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Maybe there is something we don't know... Russia is supposed to be an ally, but this is awkward. And I thought the missile shield wouldn't be effective until like 2010 ?

On the other hand, if we have something we shouldn't whine that our "friends" are trying to get it too. We aren't special, and there's no international copyright on military technology.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
Putin declared last month that Russia had "conducted tests of the latest nuclear rocket systems" in a cryptic comment that puzzled military strategists but seemed aimed at Washington and its mooted missile defense shield that Moscow considers illegal.

Russia has been developing a range of new missiles capable of penetrating US defenses as a result.
it's this kind of logic and reasoning that makes politics so much fun. :bomb:

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
oh well. yay! another cold war! Why don't we just have a war and EVERYBODY comes to it? Get this shit over with in one fell swoop! POO......

(edit) It just makes sense that we are building a missle defense system and so, in order to moot it out, they build missles. Isn't that like throwing gasoline on an already raging fire? hmmm, a global pissing contest. oh yay! Did someone just say something about "commies"? LOL (yes, I know that they aren't communists.)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Rage against said:
Maybe there is something we don't know... Russia is supposed to be an ally, but this is awkward. And I thought the missile shield wouldn't be effective until like 2010 ?

On the other hand, if we have something we shouldn't whine that our "friends" are trying to get it too. We aren't special, and there's no international copyright on military technology.
Maybe we can tell the RIAA that they're MP3 missles. They'll handle it. :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
MaxPower said:
Maybe we can tell the RIAA that they're MP3 missles. They'll handle it.
HAHA! Repped for reference to one of the biggest hurdles technology will have to overcome.

Maxi

Flame Bait
Well i dont think Russia or any other country can actually compete agains the US in any sort of new "weapons race". Their economy is too fragile for that, so i wouldnt worrie.

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
One nuke.....yes, even ours is waaaay too damn many! Where is the fun in that? At what fucking point does it get that bad? Well, other than Japan, that is..... :)

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
update:

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]Missile shield fails to work[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]16dec04[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]THE first test in nearly two years of a multi-billion-dollar US anti-missile shield failed yesterday when the interceptor missile shut down on its launch pad in the central Pacific.

About 16 minutes earlier, a target missile carrying a mock warhead had been launched from Kodiak Island in Alaska, the Pentagon's Missile Defence Agency said.

The aborted mission appeared likely to set back plans for activation of the bulwark against ballistic missiles.

The system is a scaled-down version of a shield first outlined in March 1983 by President Ronald Reagan and derided by critics as "Star Wars".

In 2002, President George W. Bush pledged to have initial elements of the program up and running by the end of this year, though critics said tests such as the one yesterday failed to demonstrate any real-world capabilities. Philip Coyle, the Pentagon's chief weapons tester under Mr Reagan, said: "This is a serious setback for a program that had not attempted a flight-intercept test for two years." The Missile Defence Agency said an unspecified anomaly had caused the interceptor to shut down automatically in its silo at the Kwajalein test range in the Marshall Islands. - REUTERS
[/font]

privacy terms © Herald and Weekly Times </SPAN>

= (read bottomless pit)
NEWS FLASH!
Original estimates of $100Billion USD for a proposed anti-missile sheild dwarf actual spending, now projected to cost roughly $1/2 Trillion USD by 2010. $10Billion USD per year is poured into this program and none of the three tests have proven successful thus far.

other links on this topic:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/10404167.htm

http://server-au.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/count?url=&rnd=1103122589073&cid=au_newscorp_0&ref=http%3A//www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0%2C5478%2C11701665%25255E663%2C00.html&sr=sr960x720:cd32:lgen-us:jey:cky:tz-8:ctmodem:hpn http://www.iht.com/articles/2004/12/15/news/abm.html

...in business if i spent $75Billion over 40 years and had nothing to show for it, (spending other people's money), i'd be charged w/ a white collar crime by now. (embezzlement) or at the very least my spending power would've been taken away from me. wtf?

R

RedOctober

Nothing new!

Reagan started the Star Wars plan, and that was a hoax also.

Read my lips...

They are shifting loads of dollars into some unkown projects.
And guess who is getting that money?
The bussiness associates of the Bush clan maybe?

On the other hand, I would be concerned about what is happening in China.
In the very long term they might get the idea to move north.
Very handy to take measures to have some harbor facilities in the Polar region. The seas are getting more and more open.. The ice dissappears.

One day, they knock on your door in Alaska..
Ni how! :)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
junglizm said:
Read the full story here.

I'm not sure if anyone has been following this issue, but... The US has been touting its missle defense shield and is currently deploying it across the western coast of the country, including alaska. Hmm...
Let's see..............
*checking a list*

Duct tape......check
plastic.....check
Batteries....check
early 1960's vintage "duck and cover" 8mm film......check
water.....check...........................

R

RedOctober

THE ONLY THING WE HAVE TO FEAR, IS FEAR ITSELF.

Roosevelt..

Has been pres of the USA for some time..
Originated from the Netherlands..

The best pres you ever had ;)

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
RedOctober said:
On the other hand, I would be concerned about what is happening in China.
In the very long term they might get the idea to move north.
Very handy to take measures to have some harbor facilities in the Polar region. The seas are getting more and more open.. The ice dissappears.
what is this you talk about?

chucktheskiffie

Way too hyper...
just send in the UN and get it over with...

what better bloke than a guy named Hans to look for the arms...

Doubt It

I kinda think an arms race would be pointless, no non-extremist nation(anyone who thinks either US or RU are extremist nations is a little too far left) would ever use nukes, I think the US and Russia are at the very least sensible enough to avoid using nukes, and the idea of Russia attempting to start a land or sea war in it's current state is laughable at best, they are not what they used to be in the military sense.

R

RedOctober

tbsrk said:
what is this you talk about?
Bloody hell!

Go and look for a globus.
A copy of the planet Earth!
And then smaller!

If you look at het northern part, it becomes very clear, that if the polar cap melts more and more, it will become possible for ships to sail from Siberia and Mansjuria to Norhern Canada and Alaska.
If the Chinese attack Russia in let's say 10 years, they could cut off east Siberia, and Russia couldn't do much about that.
It's in fact what the Japanese also have tried to do, in WWII.
They didn't succeed, because the Russians had a lot of armies in East Siberia, but the Americans didn't know that, because nobody of the American government told them for propaganda reasons.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I live in America.. its hard to get a real news report here about global issues, so forgive me if i seem a little ignorant.

R

RedOctober

Well.. I don't blame you..
American press and media are assholes anyway.

Even a little kid can see the main clash in the
future is between the USA and China.

The middle east is peanuts.