WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The "noise" genre

What this genre usually consists of(but is not limited to):
-People pretending to play their heavily distorted instruments
-Volume knobs turned up to 11
-Excessive feedback
-People pretending to play things that aren't even instruments
-Screaming/screeching/growling with no actual lyrics

Why I brought it up:
Last night, a friend of mine and I recorded what can only be described as pure shit, proving that anybody can make this in no amount of time. Drums were banged on as fast as possible. Guitars were left idly feeding back. Growling and screeching were done through a bass amp(and once heavily distorted through a guitar amp). It is the sound of a train crashing into a wall of shit. I know a couple people in here had decided to take interest in me recording something, and while this isn't serious by any means, if you want to hear it I'll send it to you, because it is pretty funny.

I've seen some noise acts live in my day(Providence is full of them) and some of them were entertaining...but it's not music, you know?

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
That's how I recorded my first demo. :)

No worries, ever since I've been in a few bands, and now I can SING!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
noise was all i was interested in in '88 or so.. of course noise then (at least according to the record store classifications) was stuff like sonic youth and butthole surfers.. pretty tuneful when you compare them to stuff like merzbow.. in the independant record store i worked in we used to have an 'anything goes' music policy.. we would play gg.allin then merzbow then pavement then some acid then melvins.. we played computer game tapes for a while.. commodore 64, sinclair spectrum, acorn games all through the big stereo.. got a few compalints (fuck them) got a few inquiries.. worst thing i ever played was bagpipe music, zane lowe the bbc DJ was working there, his first day i think, and he asked me why i was playing such terrible noise.. i told him the cuntstomers were driving me mad and i wanted them to leave.. :)

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Frank Zappa had a "song" on one album, I think it was Weasels Rip My Flesh, where every band member played in a different beat/time. Absolutely no musical value whatsoever. Maybe he originated the noise genre.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
been a long time since i heard weasels.. can't remember if it was that or not that had the track you mention but yes zappa was a pioneer..
he was influenced by 'music concrete' composers.. they were pretty atonal.. edgar varese etc..
i think the whole industrial noise thing, not just atonal music but actual 'NOISE" was started by lou reed with the 'metal machine music' lp.. 4 sides of 'kkkkkkzzzzzz'.. i played it in the store once.. ;)

Jiraffe

Domesticated Savage
I'm actually working on a song right now that is my interpretation of "noise". I've been recording all sorts of sounds from doors slamming to screaming and more. But the real trick is I'm actually trying to find a way to create a rhythm with all these random pieces of junk. Come to think of it maybe I'm just doing a different form of "industrial". When its finished I'll let everyonee else decide.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I think I could use those recordings to piss off a great deal of my coworker's:D I get told every time I have my sterio on "Turn that shit off," and then 3 min later "Who is this."

I might have said it before, but I listen to everything. Among my fav's is classical gas.

Hey lamp give it some time and your music might be good for more than self defence:)

Shzar

Hoodrat
This thread makes me think about the Portsmouth Sinfonia. The worlds worst orchestra, where anybody can join... regardless of whether they can actually play an instrument or not.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Jiraffe said:
I'm actually working on a song right now that is my interpretation of "noise". I've been recording all sorts of sounds from doors slamming to screaming and more. But the real trick is I'm actually trying to find a way to create a rhythm with all these random pieces of junk. Come to think of it maybe I'm just doing a different form of "industrial". When its finished I'll let everyonee else decide.
Yeah, that's not "noise" music, that's sampling.

Noise is how Lamp described, it's not a bunch of "noise" but stuff created with instruments played exceptionally badly.

I agree, it's not music.

Me, I'm not into the noise scene that much, so i'm not going to be able to give a big history of what the movement is or where it came from, but i definitely LOVE the first velvet underground rekkid, and there's some weird nioses in that, like a vaccuum going on and off. my 2 cents is that noise in music is good in moderation, like in that VU album, but needs to be cut with some pleasing sounds so that listening is actually a PLEASURE and not a trial.

Besides that VU stuff I like some Art-Punk stuff that borders on noise. but again here it is the combination of noise and music that is interesting. It's like the noise genre is a little lab useful for finding new sounds and textures to add into more palatable musics. take some noise and make it sound good... but don't forget to make it sound good.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
lampy.. 'they' are onto you, your days of noisemaking are numbered.

Hello, and welcome to the Mothers Against Noise webpage! If you are a concerned parent whose child is listening to NOISE and would like to do something about it you have come to the right place.
Noise is one of the most fanatical cults I have ever seen, within hours of putting our website and message board online we were flooded with messages and email from those involved in the scene. These people hide behind the guise of "artistic creativity" while in reality they are out to destroy any trace of art.(How contradictory is that folks?) It spreads a message that is dogmatically opposed to the message of the "establishment" and thus attains the status of a cult in my mind. A lot of "noise defenders" will use excuses that they are presenting alternatives to the established order that is also rotten, but instead of trying to offer a well balanced alternative to the system they seek on tearing it down. The noise scene is also structured a lot like terrorist organizations, they work in small numbers with no clear leader and work feverishly on their 'music' often self releasing cds and records (I might add if you heard most of this stuff, youd see why). This makes our job a lot harder since we do not have a handful of larger record companies to boycott or pressure.

Whitehouse- probably one of the most offensive noise bands of all time. I cannot even go into details about this band, they are the most misogynist hateful offensive band around. If your child has any Whitehouse CDs, stop everything and please think of getting them professional help (i suggest Military School over therapy). They started the subgenera of noise called Power Electronics or Harsh Noise, which i might add is embraces the most degenerate aspects of human behavior.
LINK

edit: just noticed you linked to this two posts up, but the quotes deserve to remain.. :puzzled grin:

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
tw33k said:
Frank Zappa had a "song" on one album, I think it was Weasels Rip My Flesh, where every band member played in a different beat/time. Absolutely no musical value whatsoever. Maybe he originated the noise genre.

Frank Zappa makes my brain hurt. :happysad:

I'm half deaf now because my brother insisted that all music sounded better cranked up so high that the speakers distorted everything. He loved to home in the middle of the night and turn his stereo up as loud as is would go and THEN turn it on. Since his room was right next time it would jar me out of my sleep.

I can hardly stand noise now.

You should have seen the chunks of wax I pulled out of my ears the next morning when I saw the White Mice back in July, holy shit. I could have made it look like a pile of dog shit.