WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss The Phillipines give in!

Pachyderm

I really did.
802
0
0
#1
The Phillipines are withdrawing their troops from the war after one of their own is taken hostage. I am personally outraged by this decision because once we negotiate with terrorists, they then have more power than us. It's basically conceding that they can get what ever they want from a country by taking hostages and torturing them.
 
R

RedOctober

Guest
#2
Pachyderm said:
The Phillipines are withdrawing their troops from the war after one of their own is taken hostage. I am personally outraged by this decision because once we negotiate with terrorists, they then have more power than us. It's basically conceding that they can get what ever they want from a country by taking hostages and torturing them.
According to the way you formulated your vision , America is the greatest terrorist of them all!
Hostages? What about the way the US is treating prisoners in Iraq, and in Guantanamo Bay.

Negociate? The USA negociated for years with the Bin Laden family, and the regime of Saddam Hussein. Further more, the USA has a long record of supporting dictators.

And it is a fact, that a lot of countries have sent troups, thereby ignoring what their own people asked for. To NOT support the ridiculous idea of a war in Iraq. A lot of governments know they will lose the elections, if they support a sucker like Bush any longer.
 

Pachyderm

I really did.
802
0
0
#3
RedOctober said:
According to the way you formulated your vision , America is the greatest terrorist of them all!
Hostages? What about the way the US is treating prisoners in Iraq, and in Guantanamo Bay.

Negociate? The USA negociated for years with the Bin Laden family, and the regime of Saddam Hussein. Further more, the USA has a long record of supporting dictators.

And it is a fact, that a lot of countries have sent troups, thereby ignoring what their own people asked for. To NOT support the ridiculous idea of a war in Iraq. A lot of governments know they will lose the elections, if they support a sucker like Bush any longer.
I hate Bush, and I do think he is a terrorist, but for years longer than Bush has been in office, there has been terrorist threats. I am saying NO ONE should negotiate with terrorists. I'm not saying Bush isn't a terrorist himself, and when Nick Berg's head was cut off and American's were outraged and horrified, I thought we got what was coming to us, and I am sure that Iraqi's have the same reaction to us invading their country. I thought all those people with the reaction of "I'm a victim, I can't believe this is happening to us!" were disgusting forms of stupidity. I am just saying we should never negotiate with the threat of hostages.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#4
Pachyderm said:
The Phillipines are withdrawing their troops from the war after one of their own is taken hostage. I am personally outraged by this decision because once we negotiate with terrorists, they then have more power than us. It's basically conceding that they can get what ever they want from a country by taking hostages and torturing them.
The Phillipines is constantly in a state of terror with the guerillas in their own country. You'd think they'd know, it's a slippery slope.
 

Cynical Canuck

Venting Spleen
33
0
0
#7
I agree that there should be no negotiation. Say what you want about the Bush government or any American foreign policy over the past xx years, they aren't going around decapitating POWs (or even civilians and peace keepers for that matter). If I were the one in the orange jumpsuit, I'd want my government to do whatever they could to rescue me. But in the end, no matter how fucking painful it must be to die that way, I rather that than see our troops removed from Iraq at this time (no matter how small and peace-keepingy they are).

-- brad
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#9
cynical canuck said:
I agree that there should be no negotiation. Say what you want about the Bush government or any American foreign policy over the past xx years, they aren't going around decapitating POWs (or even civilians and peace keepers for that matter). If I were the one in the orange jumpsuit, I'd want my government to do whatever they could to rescue me. But in the end, no matter how fucking painful it must be to die that way, I rather that than see our troops removed from Iraq at this time (no matter how small and peace-keepingy they are).
there should be no negotiation, brad, that's true.

HOWEVER, we are fighting terrorism as though it were a cause, not an effect.

if someone has a failing liver, you don't treat their jaundice. you treat the liver failure that's causing the jaundice.
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#11
That's a very good point. I have no actual response, just wanted to note that.
part of the problem here in america is we have oversimplified everything. two political parties, and you'd better align with one of them.

two soda brands. two kinds of basketball shoes. etc, etc. for a long time, three automobiles.

etc.

we have been hollywood-ized. everything is black and white (copyright disney, inc). right or wrong. GOOD OR EVIL. george bush is great, saddam hussein is evil. nobody understands that these extremes are exactly that: endpoints on an infinitely resolute continuum.

terrorists are evil. THEY HATE US BECAUSE WE HAVE FREEDOM. so why didn't they bomb amsterdam? there's WAY more freedom there.

fucking idiots. and dumber idiots for buying into it. i could continue forever.

the bottom line is this: people have to be REALLY FUCKING PISSED OFF AT SOMETHING to line up to kill themselves for their cause. americans did it for world war 2 because we had a depression and a newfound enemy. "terrorists" do the same thing and also have reasons.

gah.

thanks, btw. and you could leave a brotha a little reputation for it ;]

~ dan ~
 

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
1,218
0
0
#12
Blame America first... its all our fault... we are only getting what we ask for... we should just sit here and live in our own filth and let the rest of the world prosper... I would like to personally apologize to anyone that is offended by America... Freedom sux... we all really do hate all of you... we seek to enslave all of you... we seek to set upon you economic ruin and proclaim ourselves the champions of this round of the game of life...
:thumbsdn:
...
 

morelos

lexicon incognito
1,952
0
0
#14
dangeo23 said:
Blame America first... its all our fault... we are only getting what we ask for... we should just sit here and live in our own filth and let the rest of the world prosper... I would like to personally apologize to anyone that is offended by America... Freedom sux... we all really do hate all of you... we seek to enslave all of you... we seek to set upon you economic ruin and proclaim ourselves the champions of this round of the game of life...
you always look at things from the most sarcastic and close-minded point of view.

it is our fault. but not because of what you say.

as i've perpetually argued that men are not good or evil, i want you to better understand, even if you won't agree with, my point of view:

the american economic cycle seeks to bring more wealth in. it always has. in obtaining that wealth, it often matters little who we impoverish. we're not out there TRYING to make things worse for other people or other countries; we're out there TRYING to make more money.

we're not conscious enough of the harm we do to the environment or to the world around us. it's not that we're bad people; we're just very capitalist and very selfish as a nation.

pachyderm said:
Morelos, I like your style. Good point. props for that.
thanks much! got some rep points to go around? ;]

~ dan ~
 

Pachyderm

I really did.
802
0
0
#15
morelos said:
you always look at things from the most sarcastic and close-minded point of view.

it is our fault. but not because of what you say.

as i've perpetually argued that men are not good or evil, i want you to better understand, even if you won't agree with, my point of view:

the american economic cycle seeks to bring more wealth in. it always has. in obtaining that wealth, it often matters little who we impoverish. we're not out there TRYING to make things worse for other people or other countries; we're out there TRYING to make more money.

we're not conscious enough of the harm we do to the environment or to the world around us. it's not that we're bad people; we're just very capitalist and very selfish as a nation.



thanks much! got some rep points to go around? ;]

~ dan ~
War is definitely a money maker, a baby maker, an America promoter (to Americans) It seems like wars put us in a deficit most of the time, but people seem to buy more and produce more during war time. Trades and negotiations are apart of war, so we must be gaining something.
 

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
1,329
0
0
#16
DanGeo23 said:
Blame America first... its all our fault... we are only getting what we ask for... we should just sit here and live in our own filth and let the rest of the world prosper... I would like to personally apologize to anyone that is offended by America... Freedom sux... we all really do hate all of you... we seek to enslave all of you... we seek to set upon you economic ruin and proclaim ourselves the champions of this round of the game of life...
:thumbsdn:
...
DAN!

You're not supposed to tell them that, now they know our secret plan. Damit.

Don't think I'm not going to bring this up at the next World Domination meeting.

U.S. Uber Alles!
 

Descent

Hella Constipated
7,686
109
157
#17
Hey!

RedOrchestra, I see your point, and agree fully with you.

However, I do think that the American media should be held responsible for all the French hatred in America. The amount of ignorance toward France here is unimaginable, to the point where McDonalds renames their french fries "Freedom Fries." It just goes to show you how idiotic the average American autocrat is...I hate them all...

In fact, I would like to compose a list of the corporation I hate MOST in America...the ones who fuck consumers over the most, in my view.

Tech Industry:

1. Microsoft
2. Dell
3. Neomagic

Entertainment Industry:

1. All the record companies are shit, and make American culture stink more than it has ever.
2. FOX Broadcating Corporation
3. Disney (BY NOT LETTING MIRAMAX DISTRIBUTE FARENHEIT 9/11)

Food Industry:

1.McDonalds (By making America look ignorant, and opening fast food chains around the world!)
2. Burger King (They stink too.)
3. All the other fast food companies

Transportation Industry:

1. ANY AMERICAN COMPANY THAT MAKES SUV's. Those tanks kill the people in the other car. I can't wait until the SUV fad dies down.

2. General Motors. They build cheap, junky cars, and have a monopoly on the American auto industry. They also make it real easy for crooks to make a living by stealing cars, due to swappable parts that are easy to sell.

I would make a longer list, but I don't know enough about the economy...I hope that this helps people understand just the extent that America is messed up. I'm moving to Canada when I get out of high school...I personally don't like living with the way America operates.