WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The problem with the masses....

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
In a word, Greed.

Greed seems to be the root of almost all evil nowadays (maybe for all time). Selfishness is so common and even supported, especially in the USA, that people seem to think you are strange for being unselfish. People are so consumed with "ME", followed by family and friends (who still feed the "me" impulse), that most everything falls into the "Who cares" category. It's interesting to see how fragmented society is because of this. Everyone is convinced they are right, and all others should bow to their will. I've seen it from the very poor to the very rich. Maybe it's because capitalism breeds this concept as a byproduct, or maybe it's simply human nature. In any case, you fuckers should try to be a little less self serving.

Examples always work best.

Driving. I've ranted about this, but it still applies. The dodging of people who are truly convinced they are the most important person ever, gets me mad to no end. No common courtesy, no sense, nothing but this greedy little "me" impulse. They don't use turn signals, run lights, speed, everything imaginable because of their true conviction that only they matter, and everyone else should move out of the way. They are the first to cry when someone doing the same thing bumps their car, and road rage just screams selfishness. I'm doing the speed limit (I always do, causes no end of headaches) which was 45. I'm going towards a dangerous intersection with people waiting to pull out, and some asshole in a big monster truck is behind me tailgating like he wants sex. So I play it cool and ignore him. He's literally flipping me off and beeping his horn because I dare to do the speed limit. So when we get near the intersection another wonderful person waits until I get about 50 feet out and just pulls out in front of me. I predicted this, as I always assume the worst. I begin dodging into the other lane because I saw no cars coming, but the guy behind me is just oblivious. Now I'm in the wrong lane, the pick up guy swerves to avoid the pull out guy and nearly hits another car waiting to pull out. I just keep going, used to this fucking stupid behavior. Pick up man then speeds up right back on my ass, still pissed at me! All so selfish they can't see their actions are causing harm to themselves and others.

Grocery store time. So I'm in the store and some elderly lady is trying to get something off the top shelf. I, of course, walk right up and help her. People look at me, and she offers me money (which I flatly refuse, it's fucking common courtesy) and other people are like "Wow! That was really nice!" The flip side of course being that all these people just ignored the lady, and are genuinely surprised someone would just help someone "For No Reason!" I heard someone say. Egads!

It's just so common to be selfish now that people seem surprised when you don't act like that. What a fucking sad thing.

What the hell is my point?

Don't be a greedy me me me me me me freak like the masses. If you act with one little bit of fucking selfLESSness, it might influence someone else to do the same. This world is HELL because people are so selfish. The people at the top, AND the people at the bottom. If every thought you have revolves around you, believe it or not, there are other people in this world too. Wouldn't it be nice if people actually didn't fuck you over with their own selfishness? Well, the flip side is that you can't be doing it, then expect everyone else to not do it. You ARE that selfish bastard if you expect special favors all the time.

JLXC said:
In a word, Greed.

Greed seems to be the root of almost all evil nowadays (maybe for all time). Selfishness is so common and even supported, especially in the USA, that people seem to think you are strange for being unselfish. People are so consumed with "ME", followed by family and friends (who still feed the "me" impulse), that most everything falls into the "Who cares" category. It's interesting to see how fragmented society is because of this. Everyone is convinced they are right, and all others should bow to their will. I've seen it from the very poor to the very rich. Maybe it's because capitalism breeds this concept as a byproduct, or maybe it's simply human nature. In any case, you fuckers should try to be a little less self serving.

Examples always work best.

Driving. I've ranted about this, but it still applies. The dodging of people who are truly convinced they are the most important person ever, gets me mad to no end. No common courtesy, no sense, nothing but this greedy little "me" impulse. They don't use turn signals, run lights, speed, everything imaginable because of their true conviction that only they matter, and everyone else should move out of the way. They are the first to cry when someone doing the same thing bumps their car, and road rage just screams selfishness. I'm doing the speed limit (I always do, causes no end of headaches) which was 45. I'm going towards a dangerous intersection with people waiting to pull out, and some asshole in a big monster truck is behind me tailgating like he wants sex. So I play it cool and ignore him. He's literally flipping me off and beeping his horn because I dare to do the speed limit. So when we get near the intersection another wonderful person waits until I get about 50 feet out and just pulls out in front of me. I predicted this, as I always assume the worst. I begin dodging into the other lane because I saw no cars coming, but the guy behind me is just oblivious. Now I'm in the wrong lane, the pick up guy swerves to avoid the pull out guy and nearly hits another car waiting to pull out. I just keep going, used to this fucking stupid behavior. Pick up man then speeds up right back on my ass, still pissed at me! All so selfish they can't see their actions are causing harm to themselves and others.

Grocery store time. So I'm in the store and some elderly lady is trying to get something off the top shelf. I, of course, walk right up and help her. People look at me, and she offers me money (which I flatly refuse, it's fucking common courtesy) and other people are like "Wow! That was really nice!" The flip side of course being that all these people just ignored the lady, and are genuinely surprised someone would just help someone "For No Reason!" I heard someone say. Egads!

It's just so common to be selfish now that people seem surprised when you don't act like that. What a fucking sad thing.

What the hell is my point?

Don't be a greedy me me me me me me freak like the masses. If you act with one little bit of fucking selfLESSness, it might influence someone else to do the same. This world is HELL because people are so selfish. The people at the top, AND the people at the bottom. If every thought you have revolves around you, believe it or not, there are other people in this world too. Wouldn't it be nice if people actually didn't fuck you over with their own selfishness? Well, the flip side is that you can't be doing it, then expect everyone else to not do it. You ARE that selfish bastard if you expect special favors all the time.
Well said, and about damn time. (By the way, I happen to drive a pick up...)

JLXC

Premium
DanGeo23 said:
another good word... Jealousy...
True, but the root cause of Jealousy is Greed. I want more! I want what he has!

As a matter of fact, now that I really think about it, almost every human Evil is based upon Selfishness/Greed.

JLXC

Premium
canadian_pov said:
how do you explain the holocaust?
Well since the slogans of the Germans had "They take your jobs" and other such things implying the Jews were ruining their economy, and killing germans as a result. Obviously jealousy i.e. Greed/Selfishness played a HUGE part. Hell the arrogance of thinking certain people are better than others is selfishness in the extreme.

Very well said JLXC, sometimes I think this world just needs a complete purge of assholes like that(but they told me such thoughts were illegal and I shouldn't think them :D )

canadian_pov said:
i think lack of compassion is another one
Exactly. Society's lack of compassion is most likely caused by greed and selfishness.

That's why customers are such dicks........greed.

That's why there's so much hassle anywhere you go (i.e, stores, websites, hotels, restaurants, etc). Somewhere along the way someone got greedy; wanted something for free when they didn't deserve it, and took advantage of a sticky situation, so now all people have to do is whine a little bit and they get their way. Now we have to go through all this red tape just to do something that should be simple, such as calling a company for a refund or something, because theres so many people out there who abuse the system.

You have to provide 500 different forms of identification just to renew your license cause there assholes out there who just want to sit on their asses all day but still be able to afford a decadent lifestyle, so they steal someone's identity and rack up thousand of dollars in bills. What do they care, it's not their money!

The list goes on.

Everyone wants something for nothing, and the worst part of it all is society tells us it's okay to have that attitude. People have become spoiled brats.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Aliensavant said:
Well said, and about damn time. (By the way, I happen to drive a pick up...)
mmhmm (i drive a truck too)

but you see not all problems are because of greed. Some people are just born to be evil and some never have that tendency smashed out of them. In my local news paper today i read about how a 16, and two 17 year olds unhitched a dog that was out in a lady's yard (they had never met the lady or any of her family, complete strangers) and tehy took the dog to the woods beat it... punched and kicked repeatedly.. then when they got board of that they took out a knife. Carved the dog up, before finally impailing the dog.
Some people are simply evil. :(

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
We're just not highly evolved enough to overcome that. Its animalistic....its like monkeys trying to get the most from the food pile. Its coming though....I've been reading that most scientists believe that the next form of evolution is going to be the development of the mind rather than some physical change....since we've evolved mentally enough to adapt and cope with physical changes in our world. If you want it sorta summed up you can watch Eamon Healey's segment in Waking Life...its all hypothetical but it makes alot of sense.

Demosthenes

Looking for truth
swizeguy said:
mmhmm (i drive a truck too)

but you see not all problems are because of greed. Some people are just born to be evil and some never have that tendency smashed out of them. In my local news paper today i read about how a 16, and two 17 year olds unhitched a dog that was out in a lady's yard (they had never met the lady or any of her family, complete strangers) and tehy took the dog to the woods beat it... punched and kicked repeatedly.. then when they got board of that they took out a knife. Carved the dog up, before finally impailing the dog.
Some people are simply evil. :(
If this were an individual, it would be a sociopath. However, more than one committed the act. This, amazingly enough, may be a result of what allowed humans to survive. This sounds like the repressed urge to hunt. It's far fetched, but there might be a connection. Boredom in any adolescent male is from a lack of an outlet for aggression. This agression comes from two things 1. The want to express dominance to attract a mate and 2. The want to provide for a mate. Now most kids either take up the direct approach (aka hunting or fishing (I like fishing)) or the indirect, sports, places to let out aggression in a communal effort. Since these kids probably do not have a sufficiant outlet for this aggression, they finally built up enough to create an outlet, which was killing an animal. This established dominance over a creature and, if it were needed, a meal. However, that does not justify the action. They should have found an alternative outlet and instead allowed degeneration of the very thing that allows a man to own a dog, the ability to overcome instinct with logic. These boys have behaved as animals and should be treated as such: locked up in a cage.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
JLXC said:

Heh...that sounds about how I drive. It's not really a good example for greed though, since, like me, most of the bad drivers are just products of our environment. I've lived in Phoenix since I was 15, and it's the worst place in the USA for driving. I don't tailgate, but I usually do speed and I have been known to cut people off (hell, once I did it to two cars within 30 seconds in a parking lot), but that doesn't make me a greedy person.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Greed and jealousy in Nazi germany where more Hitlers own thought. He was unemployed, and in his neighbourghood there were a lot of wellpaid jews, lawyers, doctors etc. He was jealous.

Nazis took a lot of shit from Nietzsche (spelled wrong. propably. I know) whos über_human-idea was one of the major drivers in Nazi-ideology. It based almost solely on his THEORY that some humans are better than others, and that like in Darwins theory of evolution (Origin of Species) the weak will vanish, naturally. So they tought they were doing the right thing, helping evolution out :)
That added up with the depression, the low self-esteem brought by the wwI and the age-old german "were_better_then_others"-attitude (which is not that uncommon, it appears in all nations) created the nazi-movement. It was just a bomb set to detonate, and when a charismatic, short, ugly and a little twisted fuck appeared it all started to roll. You might now the li´l fucker, Adolf Hitler, a wannabe-artist not able to get to the academy and who had clear father-issues.

Sektor

Particinator
If you think Phoenix is bad for driving, come to the state of Missouri, specifically the city of St. Louis. Half the drivers don't have licenses, and even more don't have insurance.

Anyway, I do speed when I drive, but I tend to avoid tailgating people, cutting people off, etc. It's not worth it.

There are too many problems to count. Ironically, one of the biggest being: Everyone thinks they know the problem.