WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The Saga of the Cheap Bastard PC...Part 2...

Descent

Hella Constipated
I was extremely bored today. I was thinking for a while about what I could do to fill time.

I remembered that I had an old Pentium 133MHz CPU (non-MMX) lying around...I was pretty sure it was dead, but just to check, I assembled a system out of the following parts I had lying around:

Pentium-133
48MB of EDO RAM
ATI 8MB Rage Pro PCI
FIC VA-503+ Super Socket 7 motherboard
Hitachi 8X CD-ROM
120MB Seagate hard drive (Yes, 120 MEGABYTES!)
Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 PCI NIC
Aztech 16-bit ISA sound card (Kicks ass, 100% Sound Blaster 16 compatible)
Glued on passive black heatsink from an old IBM Aptiva
Roughly 10 screws

I'm gonna load PC-DOS 7.0 and Windows 3.1 onto it...after I work up the cash, I'm going to buy a 500MHz K6-2 of Newegg, slap in a 6-10GB HD, put in my TNT2, and slap in those old sticks of PC-100 SDRAM. After that, I'll put on Windows Longhorn, give it a go, then proceed to load on Fedora Linux.

It POSTs, but it does not want to boot from the hard drive...I just get a flashing cursor...It sees the drive though...and I hear it spinning and clicking...so I'm pretty sure it works fine. I'm gonna download PC-DOS 7.0 tomorrow, off of ftp.vsu.ru, and then load on 3.1. It's gonna be the shit...a true R3TR0 B0X.

I'm just bored during the summer and I need something to fuck around with :).

Maxpower, this mobo is devoid of any PS/2 ports...do you have a serial mouse you could ship to my address, by any chance? You don't live that far away...I would pay you for the mouse and shipping...

Infected_enigma

I pwn and you know it
haha lmao that's one bad ass michine man and I'd send youa serial mouse but I use mine on some old AT system I have 233Mhz pentium MXX old shitty ISA 5 mbit nic sb 16, some gay ass 2 MB video card and and i think an asus mobo with a 4 GB hard drive and 16X CD-ROM. I got windows NT 4.0 from a friend and was gonna put it on and run it as some pos computer to download things that may have trojans just to be sure not to fuck up my l337 b0x. I used to have like redhat 7.0 but it was useless and I had no reason for it so i went fuck it =D

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
jstager said:
I was extremely bored today. I was thinking for a while about what I could do to fill time.

I remembered that I had an old Pentium 133MHz CPU (non-MMX) lying around...I was pretty sure it was dead, but just to check, I assembled a system out of the following parts I had lying around:

Pentium-133
48MB of EDO RAM
ATI 8MB Rage Pro PCI
FIC VA-503+ Super Socket 7 motherboard
Hitachi 8X CD-ROM
120MB Seagate hard drive (Yes, 120 MEGABYTES!)
Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 PCI NIC
Aztech 16-bit ISA sound card (Kicks ass, 100% Sound Blaster 16 compatible)
Glued on passive black heatsink from an old IBM Aptiva
Roughly 10 screws

I'm gonna load PC-DOS 7.0 and Windows 3.1 onto it...after I work up the cash, I'm going to buy a 500MHz K6-2 of Newegg, slap in a 6-10GB HD, put in my TNT2, and slap in those old sticks of PC-100 SDRAM. After that, I'll put on Windows Longhorn, give it a go, then proceed to load on Fedora Linux.

It POSTs, but it does not want to boot from the hard drive...I just get a flashing cursor...It sees the drive though...and I hear it spinning and clicking...so I'm pretty sure it works fine. I'm gonna download PC-DOS 7.0 tomorrow, off of ftp.vsu.ru, and then load on 3.1. It's gonna be the shit...a true R3TR0 B0X.

I'm just bored during the summer and I need something to fuck around with :).

Maxpower, this mobo is devoid of any PS/2 ports...do you have a serial mouse you could ship to my address, by any chance? You don't live that far away...I would pay you for the mouse and shipping...
i have one
so...wtf where do u want it?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Never mind sending me the serial mouse, I'm just going to get the internal USB cable for it so I can hook up a USB mouse. I feel like a cheap bastard mooching a mouse off someone I barely know :). Besides, I just remembered my dad has an old serial mouse he's not using.

Descent

Hella Constipated
::UPDATE::

I souped up the system more. It actually tries to boot from the OS now :).

133MHz Penitum non-MMX CPU
320MB of PC-100 SDRAM
AOpen 32MB TNT2 video card
Powmax Shitmax 400w ULTRA SHITTY power supply w/blue painted aluminum housing and two fans (one with LED lights)
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
120MB hard drive (Yes, 120 MEGABYTES!)
32X Sony CD-ROM drive
Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 NIC
Aztech 16-bit ISA sound card (fully Sound Blaster 16 compatible)

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
jstager said:
::UPDATE::

I souped up the system more. It actually tries to boot from the OS now :).

133MHz Penitum non-MMX CPU
320MB of PC-100 SDRAM
AOpen 32MB TNT2 video card
Powmax Shitmax 400w ULTRA SHITTY power supply w/blue painted aluminum housing and two fans (one with LED lights)
FIC VA-503+ Motherboard
120MB hard drive (Yes, 120 MEGABYTES!)
32X Sony CD-ROM drive
Linksys Network Everywhere 10/100 NIC
Aztech 16-bit ISA sound card (fully Sound Blaster 16 compatible)
ok now overclock it
to 200mhz and make it so u can atleast play quake on it

Descent

Hella Constipated
That's not too bad of an idea...I'll give that some consideration...

I'll be back with the overclocking results later...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Okay, I was finally able to overclock the processor to 166MHz. It runs fast and stable at that speed.

It would hang at the BIOS screen when I set it up to 193 MHz...oh well.

Also, I got it to boot earlier today. I just loaded the BIOS defaults and BAM! It loaded up Windows fine...I just have to reinstall Win$hit now because the old Video drivers from the old 486 Tandy PC are halting Windows because this computer has a different graphics card! Crap! Eh, it won't take too long.

This board KICKS ASS for overclocking. If you are in the market for an old K6-2 board, buy this! It will not disappoint. The FIC VA-503+ is a wonderful board.