WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The saga of the Cheap Bastard PC...part 4...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well...I was so hyped last night...I was thinking, "Wow! I can't wait to play Daikatana on this thing!" Well, it froze, screen blanked, then just seemed to suck dick. I was OCing the video card and the CPU, so I set them back, and now it's just going suicidal. It's freezing every few minutes! I'm going nuts trying to figure it out...I have tried everything besides the CPU and the PSU.

*GASP* Could I have killed my baby when I overclocked it? Only time will tell...

I think I am going to stick that 450MHz K6-2 in my laptop into it and see if it will stop freezing then...

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Wait, How fast is the processor in your gimp-ass computer? Well whatever it is, it can't be good, if your attempting to upgrade to a 450 mhz amd k-6. Man, my very first computer what a 333 mhz k-6. Instead of being cheap, why don't you just go get a super nice computer, since they are pretty cheap nowadays, and quit suffering with the headaches of a cheap ass computer?

tzedek

Original Member
i have been thinking of putting together a box like that to run dedicated file sharing for a small mp3 server at home. all i need is a mobo

Jung

???
Premium
why are you trying to run games on a dinosaur? jesus man, a lan party is supposed to be fun. you're trying to run demos on archaic hardware? ROFL

tzedek said:
i have been thinking of putting together a box like that to run dedicated file sharing for a small mp3 server at home. all i need is a mobo
i have a 500MHz linux box running samba and raid5 for that;) linux makes old coputers fun again.

tzedek

Original Member
i used to have a 486 upgraded to 66mhx (with a heat sink too!!) 8 ram running peanut linux. i couldnt get samba setup tho so i ditched the project. well that and the bios battery was toast.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I already have a nice PC. It has a 1.8GHz Duron OCed to 2.0GHz (2400+ speeds), 512 RAM, OCed Radeon 9200 (I sold my 9600XT, I'm using this card on loan from the guy I sold it to), 80GB HD, Aspire X-Dreamer II case, etc.

I built this box for kicks a few weeks ago...

Anyway, I got it working :). I put in a 450MHz K6-2 from my laptop, and IT FUCKING SCREAMS! It runs Descent 3 like you wouldn't believe...

I plan to put a 500MHz K6-2 in it, some more RAM (about 768), a 60GB HD, and have a quad boot of Server 2003 (My favorite OS, kicks ass for gaming), Win$hit 98, Fedora Linux, and Longhorn. I looked at the minimum specs for Longhorn, and if I soup up this machine, it should run great. I just hope a newer version has leaked onto the net...4051 is old news...

Fugly

Tenderony
I don't understand...Daikatana sucked ass...why go through the trouble?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well...I want to run 98 for two reasons: Descent 3 and DOS games. D3 won't run on XP. Whoops, looks like I forgot about Sonic CD. I need it for that too.

Anyway, Daikatana did not suck ass.

Let me ask you this: Did you play it? Or did you just go by the magazine's reviews? At the time, there was this whole Anti-John Romero/Ion Storm movement going on in the industry. Everyone was pissed, so they gave Daikatana a bad review. The magazines bought into the largest bias that may have ever existed in the gaming industry. The man made Doom. He can do no wrong. The N-Gage version of Red Faction was horrible, but isn't it kind of hard make an FPS for a crappy little device like that?

Install the demo. See what you think. The first level is not that great, but the rest of them really are. You should do a Froogle. You can pick up Daikatana for as little as $1.40. It just may be the best dollar you have ever spent.

Hey, I have a TNT2 video card in this thing, and it runs Daikatana like shit. It does not seem to have AGP enabled for OpenGL, and all my OpenGL apps run like shit...Read part 3 of this saga. I can't really seem to find any newer drivers that work.

Jung

???
Premium
Shurikane said:
Because Win98 can play DOS games.
well i guess if you need to play 6-7 yr old games games it's worth it. i still don't see the point in taking the time to install and attempt to run longhorn.

Fugly

Tenderony
jstager said:
Well...I want to run 98 for two reasons: Descent 3 and DOS games. D3 won't run on XP. Whoops, looks like I forgot about Sonic CD. I need it for that too.

Anyway, Daikatana did not suck ass.

Let me ask you this: Did you play it? Or did you just go by the magazine's reviews? At the time, there was this whole Anti-John Romero/Ion Storm movement going on in the industry. Everyone was pissed, so they gave Daikatana a bad review. The magazines bought into the largest bias that may have ever existed in the gaming industry. The man made Doom. He can do no wrong. The N-Gage version of Red Faction was horrible, but isn't it kind of hard make an FPS for a crappy little device like that?

Install the demo. See what you think. The first level is not that great, but the rest of them really are. You should do a Froogle. You can pick up Daikatana for as little as $1.40. It just may be the best dollar you have ever spent.

Hey, I have a TNT2 video card in this thing, and it runs Daikatana like shit. It does not seem to have AGP enabled for OpenGL, and all my OpenGL apps run like shit...Read part 3 of this saga. I can't really seem to find any newer drivers that work.
Romero was at one point my personal (and a lot of others peoples) god. But he blew it with this. I refuse to listen to reviews about all things( ign,Ain'titcoolnews.com can suck my asshole) and yah I played the game about an eon ago and I thought it still sucked. Descent 3 is fun...that I could understand. But there are so many damn good games out there (i.e. COD: Allied Assault...Burnout 3) I just don't care so much, I spend so much damn time and money on new stuff it just seems excessive.

Descent

Hella Constipated
You may not be a nostalgia nut like I am...

Personally, I think Romero is god, and will always be god. He knows how to make a good game, not to mention him and me have just about everything in common...including a love for extremely sick humor. He's also funny as shit.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
jstager said:
Personally, I think Romero is god, and will always be god. He knows how to make a good game, not to mention him and me have just about everything in common...including a love for extremely sick humor. He's also funny as shit.

Sounds like someone has a crush :)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Sorry, he cut his hair back in 2002. He donated it to charity.

I want to meet John Romero more than any other person on the planet. It's mainly because we have just about everything in common...when I make it big in the game industry, I bet him and me will be the best of friends. One of the best things that happened to me was when he responded to an email I sent him :). Even though he responds to every bit of fan mail, it enlightened me. I felt like I had just made contact with my own personal god.

Also, I fixed the freezing...The Pentium 133 is fine, my mobo was shorted to the case. It seems to be hauling ass again though, this thing fucking screams!

PMS247

P.S. - I don't care.
Everything will be ok!

Dude - You need a Dell.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Dude, Dells suck. Anyone who is a tweaker/hardware geek is fucked if they buy one of those. They use custom motherboards/power supplies/case form factors. Did I mention you can't overclock them? Also, their tech support isn't worth shit. If something goes, you're fucked.

Jung

???
Premium
jstager said:
Dude, Dells suck. Anyone who is a tweaker/hardware geek is fucked if they buy one of those. They use custom motherboards/power supplies/case form factors. Did I mention you can't overclock them? Also, their tech support isn't worth shit. If something goes, you're fucked.
they use dell branded OEM mobos. ie an intel system from them will come with an intel board branded as dell.(this is the main reason they can't be overclocked) their power supplies and cases are standard form factor, maybe not always ATX, but they follow standards. i've worked enough places with corp/govt contracts with dell to know that. their tech support only sucks for normal home users, their corp/contract support is actually quite good, should you ever need to resort to it(as a last resort). i'm not taking up for dell though, i hate pre-fabbed PCs, they're for grandmas and the computer illiterate.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well...if you do know that, can you tell me the pinouts on a Dimension 440 case? I want one of those cases badly...they just use that gay ass ribbon cable for the front panel connectors.

Also, Dell systems do NOT use standard power supplies. You want proof? Look at the pinouts for a Dimension 4400 PSU. It is missing either the negative or positive (can't remember which one) 3.3v rail. It has one, but not the other. Worse, there is absolutely no adapter for that system...

I know for a fact they use Intel boards. I did a lot of research on that Dell board inside my bro's old computer. In the event something on it fails, we would most likely do a transplant with a cheap Asus mobo and a new PSU. It's not worth paying those high prices for a board that may die on you again...

I have had nothing but bad experience with newer Dells, in terms of parts. Nothing is upgradeable, and worse, you pay through the nose when a part fails.

All I can say is that Dells are some of the world's worst computers. When it gets outdated, you're fucked. Time to buy a whole new system.

I would rather work on my K6-2 450MHz shitbox than a new Dell. Why? If I save up for a few months, I could turn it into a much nicer system than the Dell.