WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The search for truth and meaning.

There are many different people in the world. Yet, only three main groups in life’s hunt for truth, and meaning. Those who have seen the world for what it truly is, those who have not, and those who never will. They can be categorized by one simple question. A question for the ages. How do you see the glass? There are three answers to this question. Half empty, half full, or just a fucking glass. When I say how do you “view/see” the glass. I do not mean in the sense of physically seeing it. I mean it in the sense of mental perception. The answer to the question can, more often than not, give insight into your state of mind. A positive, negative, or neutral state. Your state of mind being vital to your search for truth/meaning, the answer to your question could predict your odds, somewhat.

Half empty: This is the large many that view the world in a slightly negative way. Because of this their vision, in the search is blurred, meaning they view life through the foggy window of falsehood. They can see the picture of life. However, they view it only in sections. Thus, making it easy to see what’s wrong with the world, and how to fix it. Yet, leaving it difficult to see the truth behind it, the “why”, the simplicity of it all. This is not to say they can not see the truth. It is just to say that given their current state of negativity, the chances are slightly more skewed.

Half full: People such as these, are few and far between. However, they are not smarter, better, or even that much different from the “Average Joe“. Could be anyone, who at some point in their lives were forced into a corner, or actually done some real time soul searching/thinking. They stopped and took the vast amount of time to ponder everything. Through this, they separated mind from body, and body from the world. Complete isolation from even time itself. They then learned to open the door through which everything is seen. Truth, meaning, beauty amongst chaos, everything imaginable. Knowledge has made them rare, and wise individuals. Truly “the lucky few”.

JFGlass: These are truly the ignorant people, in a sense. They like everyone else had the potential/opportunity to see first hand, what most can hardly imagine, and none can fully comprehend. Yet, they simple refuse to try to step through the looking glass. Whether immaturity, impatience, or just lack of caring impaired them, doesn’t matter. They gave up any chance at coming to the ultimate realization a long time ago. Pathetic personalities dwell in this group. They are often consumed by regret, and hate during the later years of life.

The fact of it is: Everyone comes to their own truth in life, truth different from all others. An individual/personal truth, if you will. However, no matter who you are, or what your truth may be, there is also an underlying truth. A truth that is constant and the same for everyone. Some people will find one, some will find both, others will search and never find either. Only ones own life experiences will tell, ones true chances of finding, that in which one searches.

((This was drawn up based on a drunken conversation with a friend. It may not make sense, but I thought it was an interesting conversation. So, I thought I would get your feelings/thoughts on the subject.))

Do you think certain people are more likely to figure out “truth”?
Do you think anyone will figure out the “truth”?
Does the “truth” even exist, for us to find?
Does death bring truth of life, or does life bring a truth of it’s own?

Also, How do you see the glass?

I'm pessimistic, so I see it half empty.

I'll answer more later. :thumbsup:

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
first, i think that the conversation you have started is very deep and i would like to compliment you on that. i personally dont know where i stand. i of all people should be someone who sees the glass as half empty. i feel like my life is a series of bad happenings roughly connected with good events only shadowed. however i still enjoy living and despite how i feel i still think that there is good in everyone. id classify myself as a pessimistic optimist and let me explain:

i am an optimist because i feel that everything everyone does is not to be evil. inside of everyone what they do is good at heart and they may have their reasons, for this i am somewhat trusting and not quick to judge people. i think that even the most sick perverted serial killer has to have some good in him, perhaps he was abused as a child and his killings are somehow related. however i add the adjective pessimist because i know that the world is not all good i realize that people will doublecross you, i understand people kill, however i also like to think that they are still good people who have been abused or have distorted views.

i sort of disagree with your JFGlass. i think that atheists could fall in this category. some atheists see the world as jsut there, no philophy can classify life.

i think that people with the glass half empty are right, but have given up. the world is a scary place where bad things do happen, but i think that what makes life worth living, what makes your existence something that you should be proud of is seeing hte glass half full. realists are necesary, but if it isnt for people who strive to change the world then there would still be a lot of stuff present today that was present long ago.

to conclude my ramblings i think that most of the people in the world today eiter view the glass half empty or just see a glass. i think that this is a sad reality. i think that more people should try and see the glass as half full even when you are dealt the shit hand in life. that is my two cent advice

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
TB said:
Do you think certain people are more likely to figure out “truth”? no
Do you think anyone will figure out the “truth”? would be the first after millions of years to do so.
Does the “truth” even exist, for us to find? either it does, and we're all really f'n stupid or it doesn't.
Does death bring truth of life, or does life bring a truth of it’s own? truth is you've lived until otherwise proven.

Also, How do you see the glass? ...which came first, the chicken or the egg? indubitably the answer is how lame you are to believe you know the truth.

..glass?
:dizzy::dance: :woot: :nana:

fanciful treat TB, thanks!

I've always been a glass half-empty kind of guy.

I try see the world through a positive light, but it seems that whenever I try, something negative always counteracts the positive.

Life's a balance between the Half empty and the half full. For without positive, we cannot have negative, and vice versa.

It's just like good and evil. Without good, there would be no evil, without evil, there would be no good.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
I think people change their views as time passes. You could start off half empty, then half full, etc. etc. It's part of growing and evolving. Though unfortunately there are people in the world that are so narrow minded and scared or repressed that they will never evolve. It's sad.

Right now I see the glass half full but there have been many times I've seen it half empty.

Truth is relative. Right when you think you've found it, the rug gets pulled out from under you and you have to start all over again and reassess.

gurlgonewild said:
:dizzy::dance: :woot: :nana:

fanciful treat TB, thanks!
Thanks, GGW.

Also, please do not get things "twisted". I do not, nor do I pretend/imply to now the "truth". I simply believe it does exist, for us to find.

As for the rest of my opinions: Most have been stated in my original post. However, I will elaborate more on the subject, at a later date.

Carry on. :thumbsup:

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
oh but TB, i enjoyed it. my answer simply boiled down to "truth is undefined and w/o boundary". (just a crazy mofo, pay no attention to me)

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
There is no truth.

And you need to stop drinking. That is the truth.

LOL.

I dont know how I look at the glass, I do know that whether it is half full or half empty, I will get stuck washing it.

dustinzgirl said:
I dont know how I look at the glass, I do know that whether it is half full or half empty, I will get stuck washing it.
Amen to that!

dustinzgirl said:
There is no truth.

And you need to stop drinking. That is the truth.

LOL.

The fact that I need to ease off the salsa, is not up for discussion(truth or not).

Also, not knowing how you view it, is a very normal response. It shows your lack of interest, and that's all good. However, by making that statement you have still participated, in the fact that, you added another side(point of view) to the debate. thx. :p

HavokChylde said:
Amen to that!
The absence of your "thread shitting" would be appreciated. No offense intended, of course. I would just like to keep this thing on track. Thx.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i think truth is the truth of the world or the meaning of life if you want to broaden it. he means that who is right? is the glass half full or is the glass half empty.

it is impossible to know the truth. in this sense or in any sense, because after all we can't know anything to begin with.

Unforgiven said:
Define "truth"
It can’t be defined correctly. It has many different definitions for many different people.

The sense in which this thread uses it: Reality, the unforeseen reality of everything. However, that question is better directed towards yourself. It’s all about how you view it. Everyone has a unique definition on subjects such as this.

Yes, it is a vague topic, set this way on purpose, for you to take from it what you will, and form a personal opinion. Obviously in such a subject, no one is right or wrong.

Just something for you to ponder.

BklynCannonball said:
The answer is 42
Let's keep this on topic, please. Not to be a dick, but this was meant to stimulate conversation/debate. Thanks.

(actually it was just interesting, but still.)

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
It's not that it vague it's that it's intangible and so existential and more of a discussion over coffee and or LSD and not really something that can really be delved into and discussed on a message board. Define truth? Oh man...

So who's up for some coffee and some "truth"?

bnccoder

Postaholic
Some see the glass as half full some see it as half empty I see it as time for another round.
Seriously though, it depends on my mood and the amount of additives in my blood on how I look at things. That is the truth.