WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

the six dumbest ideas in computer security

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/

from the footnotes..
The Minor Dumbs

These dumb ideas didn't quite merit status as "The Dumbest" ideas in computer security, but they're pretty dumb and deserve mention in passing:
  • "We're Not a Target" - yes, you are. Worms aren't smart enough to realize that your web site/home network isn't interesting.
  • "Everyone would be secure if they all just ran <security-flavor-of-the-month>" - no, they wouldn't. Operating systems have security problems because they are complex and system administration is not a solved problem in computing. Until someone manages to solve system administration, switching to the flavor-of-the-month is going to be more damaging because you're making it harder for your system administrators to gain a level of expertise that only comes with time.
  • "We don't need a firewall, we have good host security" - no, you don't. If your network fabric is untrustworthy every single application that goes across the network is potentially a target. 3 words: Domain Naming System.
  • "We don't need host security, we have a good firewall" - no, you don't. If your firewall lets traffic through to hosts behind it, then you need to worry about the host security of those systems.
  • "Let's go production with it now and we can secure it later" - no, you won't. A better question to ask yourself is "If we don't have time to do it correctly now, will we have time to do it over once it's broken?" Sometimes, building a system that is in constant need of repair means you will spend years investing in turd polish because you were unwilling to spend days getting the job done right in the first place.
  • "We can't stop the occasional problem" - yes, you can. Would you travel on commercial airliners if you thought that the aviation industry took this approach with your life? I didn't think so.

Jung

???
Premium
Security through obscurity will always bite idiots in the ass. Idiots will always be in charge of security. It's a never ending cycle.

Blaze Daily

<b>Banned - What an Asshat!</b>
junglizm said:
Security through obscurity will always bite idiots in the ass. Idiots will always be in charge of security. It's a never ending cycle.
I used to browse freshmeat.net, slashdot, neworder, always interested in the news.

I read those books published by the Goverment. Y'know MOD RED< BLUE< YELLOW

Or w/e colors

They were cool. I even got a letter from them telling me where to find them on the net. V. cool people.

But I can't secure any computer system...lol...when I get hacked, I just re-install...