WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The Ugliest Computer Setup Ever

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
After moving into the new house, there lay a problem. The antenna was missing and thus no TV. My Anime was on my 933 compy, and therefore I had to set it up.

TA-DA!

Zee the zombie-like head on the screen? That's my 933 active. Managed to watch 5 episodes of Samurai Depper Kyo with it. Comfy stuff. BUT!

Desk. Must assemble!

Bed! Must put together!

Along with more shit to clean up elsewhere in the house...

Now, my fabulous idea was to put my desk this way:

My mom absolutely wanted it this way though:

She had even gone so far as to arrange the lighting and the power plugs to fit it this way, despite my many warnings that I was gonna put the desk my way. She claimed it was impossible, and yet I went away with my plan. I told her I appreciated the help, but I had a design in my head, and I would put it to reality come hell or high water!

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
And thus, I began moving shit around...

Parenthesis. The old house had a great view of Montreal's skyline since we were on a hill. Now all we see is this. Meh:

TA-DA!

Two white Dell compies next to each other in the most unfriendly way, with my portable, my monitors, my printer, my old phone and my speakers somewhere along all that.

But wait! What is this cord that goes outta my room?

Follow the white cord!

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
All the way to the mech room...

To THIS.

Yes, you saw right. Router and DSL modem on top of a FREEZER in the mech room.

And along with an Ethernet cable setup we had done before the builders had stuck gyproc all over the place.

And this is how I realized the ugliest computer setup ever. Mom still can't believe it. It really is fucking ugly.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
BFD.....so you know how to hook it all up.......YEA!!!!!Now try cleanin up that pig sty.....then post some pics!

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
TwisT said:
BFD.....so you know how to hook it all up.......YEA!!!!!Now try cleanin up that pig sty.....then post some pics!
lol...

anyways...that sux that you had to run all the cat5 ethernet cable from the outside...here are a few pics from the cabling i ran at home...

this was up in the plenum....i was on the ladder about 8 feet up....

plenum using studs and tie wraps to keep everything neat..

here..we have three rooms and garage...you can bearly tell tho..

here is my "junction" box" with all the left over cable...i kinda mis-calculated the amount of cable needed...had tons left..

junction box nice and neat..

rg6 and cat5e all around...

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
Shurikane said:
All the way to the mech room...

To THIS.

Yes, you saw right. Router and DSL modem on top of a FREEZER in the mech room.

And along with an Ethernet cable setup we had done before the builders had stuck gyproc all over the place.

And this is how I realized the ugliest computer setup ever. Mom still can't believe it. It really is fucking ugly.
what a plan

wow such pretty pics of all that colorful string and the messy house.**gets hypnotized by prettiness and falls over**.......................

mariusthegreat

here are some pics my setup ..as of tonite...i might change things around a bit next week when we move into our new house...

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
That's a freakin' ton of wiring! We just plug in to the phone lines... 56k. Being behind the times is fun :thumbsup:

And yes, my 56k did take about a minute and a half to load this page. Its cool like that.

Errm, and what's the advantage of two computers/monitors? I just have one...

mariusthegreat

well i have a digital dvi from my old setup.and a new vga from dell....
it works great for video editing...web editing...photo editing...having a large display area is great....watch a dvd on one side....and chat on the other....ive got all my messengers on one side...winamp...network monitors....and my regular windows on the other side...

mariusthegreat said:
it works great for video editing...web editing...photo editing...having a large display area is great....watch a dvd on one side....and chat on the other....ive got all my messengers on one side...winamp...network monitors....and my regular windows on the other side...
oooooo me sees.have you ever typed something in the wrong computer?

mariusthegreat

well its the same computer....two diff. monitors...dual output....and ive got my 32" tv connected to it too....i also play flight sim a lot too..so flip the input on the tv and fly a 747 on the tube....good stuff...

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mariusthegreat said:
So basically, if you move your mouse off of one screen, it goes on to the other?

That's cool. I've got a fairly large monitor, but I can't find the tape measure right now. I'm running 1152 by 864 resolution, yours (and Shurikane's, if he has the same kinda thing going on) must be huge.

Also, you should move your phone away from your speaker... it'll sound like somebody lifted a blanket off of it :thumbsup:

mariusthegreat

thanks....ive never really encountered any phone problems.......will do tho....anyways...yeah thats how my output works out....heres a pic of what it looks like as a print screen....ive got both resolutions at 1280x1024

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Actually, that's pretty damn cool. I'm not sure if it would work out for me (I probably would neglect one screen or the other for long periods of time), though.

Shurikane, with that much cable, you've got to have horrible connection speeds... or so I'd think.

mariusthegreat

yeah..it is pretty damn cool...:] if you have an extra pci card..you can dump it in there..it should work...i know win2k and above handle it...

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Hmm. My (limited) knowledge of computers is almost all software-oriented, and I don't even have any idea what a pci card is :thumbsup:

Either way, my family would probably go ballistic. "WTF SOS LOLL???!!!!!!! Y is tehre a SECOND minotaur? Wut does it do?>?. Srry im noob"

They actually talk like that. Plus, I don't have a second monitor to begin with.

mariusthegreat

hehe...i meant to say..pci video card...assuming the one you have is AGP...anyways....yeah its kewl man....two monitors n shit......
...now this is what i call a thread hijack...

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
mariusthegreat said:
lol...

anyways...that sux that you had to run all the cat5 ethernet cable from the outside...here are a few pics from the cabling i ran at home...

this was up in the plenum....i was on the ladder about 8 feet up....

plenum using studs and tie wraps to keep everything neat..

here..we have three rooms and garage...you can bearly tell tho..

here is my "junction" box" with all the left over cable...i kinda mis-calculated the amount of cable needed...had tons left..

junction box nice and neat..

rg6 and cat5e all around...
Now that's perdy....two thumbs up.......