WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

The Ugliest Computer Setup Ever

morelos

lexicon incognito
that's not bad, guys. i like both your setups. shurikane, can i recommend some zip-ties (cable ties) to clean up those loose wires?

you guys have all already seen my credenza, so i won't re-post it. here is a bit of how my server rack attaches to the rest of the house, though.

into the closet; i hate a mess.

morelos

lexicon incognito

hard to even see the bit that runs along the floor because it's bound into a tight round bit and runs perfectly straight along the floor.

now here's my pc setup:

note the way those wires underneath are ziptied makes it so i can slide the box from where it is all the way to the rightmost part of under the table, or entirely out from under the table. if i unplug stuff, it's almost like a docking station because the wire bundle will keep its shape for when i plug it all back in, and the plastic chest of drawers is on casters so i can slide it out. it all worked out to be a lot better than i expected it to be.

you can see the docking station for my laptop there in both pics, but i'll take a closer-up shot of it here:

anyway, that's my setup.

~ dan ~

morelos

lexicon incognito
btw, all the wiring between rooms in this house happened UNDER the house. pulling cable under a house sucks, but it was the only option, considering the house is as old as eniac.

_pissed_biotch_

Pissed Rapper
morelos said:
btw, all the wiring between rooms in this house happened UNDER the house. pulling cable under a house sucks, but it was the only option, considering the house is as old as eniac.
how old?my house was built in i think 1936...yeah thats it bcuz the garage was built about 5 years later and the date on the garage floor is 10/21/41...yeah....sorry i'm bored and i cant get my damn garage open to use some of my energy on my weight bag and speed bag.damn key...i cant find it :mad:

DropAcid

Banned - What an Asshat!
Oh God:

Do we really need to see how the wiring in your house is run? Boring.. No ranting no jokes and how clever do you have to be to post a picture on the internet?

morelos

lexicon incognito
dropacid said:
Do we really need to see how the wiring in your house is run? Boring.. No ranting no jokes and how clever do you have to be to post a picture on the internet?
omg; no ranting and no jokes in a forum called "chit chat?!?!"

WAIT, I CAN READ?!?!?

Descent

Hella Constipated
MY super l33t setup:

The black Dell computer up top is my Teamspeak server...The blue computer with the window and lights is my main box...the beige computer is the shitbox I built out of some spare parts last week...It has a Pentium-133 (OCed to 166) in it...

The two Altec Lansing speakers/subwoofer I use for the TS server...my main box's audio is the headset on top of my VCR, and a set of Paradigm speakers wired through a Pioneer reciever...Those provide me with flawless uncolored audio.

The shitbox remains unhooked because I need a serial mouse for it...that and the fact that my KVM switch only supports two computers.

The TS server and my main box are connected to an 802.11B wireless network, via two Belkin USB wireless adapters (and no, they don't lag).

My laptop is not in the picture, but it is on my desk. It needs a new keyboard so it is really out of view.

On my TV cart is a Genesis, Dreamcast, SNES, Sega Nomad, Namco 4-in-1 TV games, Atari 10-in-1 TV games, a Toshiba DVD player, a Panasonic VCR, a Playstaion 1, two computer joysticks, a DirecTV reciever, and a cheap Chinese Apex 20" TV that does the job quite well.

Shurikane, I feel sorry for you...it must really suck having such a crappy setup for your PC's. Good luck in getting it fixed.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
morelos said:
omg; no ranting and no jokes in a forum called "chit chat?!?!"

WAIT, I CAN READ?!?!?
NO please show us more pictures of wires.. WOW Chit chat at it's best.

morelos

lexicon incognito
broken said:
i actually thought it was a nifty conversation - people were saying "here's how this looks" and others were responding with "wow, that's cool" or "neat, how did you do that" and stuff.

it's just about sharing ideas, which is beneficial to everyone.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
My setup may be ugly, but guess what, I LOVE it! I hate group-up plastic thingies and all that shit.

OS: 800 runs on Windows 2000. 933 runs on Windows ME until I reformat it...

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
That's what the compy had originally come up with. It was all I had to work with originally, so I was forced to cope with that. Later on, father got pissed, threw away my old HD and put a new one back in for reasons I don't need to explain. Computer was put offline from the net as well, leaving me with an impossible-to-corrupt Windows ME. :p Never bothered to install something else since offline, it was just stable and could usually last a week before freezing.

By my standards, a week is a fucking miracle for anything below Win2000.

I soon plan to format that 933 to put Win2000 on it, but first I need to go buy a KVM switch to clean up my desk, and also I need to figure out where I'm up to with new computer stuff. If I don't get a new one right away, the reformat can wait...

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Broken said:
You do know it's not manditory to read every single message ever posted... right?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
It's actually one of the first calculators. That's all it does. Not even a scientific calc with log and sin. just add, sub, mult, and div.